Advice on damage to C250 Cdi Coupe

Suhaib

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Coupe (C205)
Hey all

I'm new here - been meaning to join for a while, but unfortunately recent events have expedited that. I am lucky enough to drive a c250cdi coupe (it's on pcp for full disclosure).

I was driving in London yesterday and unfortunately someone rear-ended me. Just gonna post what I sent to the driver in an email for descriptive purposes:

• I was driving a black Mercedes C250 Cdi Coupe (Reg. XXXXXX);
  • You were driving a white Mercedes (Reg. XXXXXXX);
  • You were driving directly behind my vehicle when the incident occurred;
  • I stopped my vehicle at the pedestrian crossing as the light had gone red;
  • You did not notice the change in lights and this led to you hitting the back of my vehicle;
  • We both got out of the car to exchange details (thank you for being co-operative);
  • You admitted that unfortunately you were not paying attention and that this led to you hitting my car;
  • As a result of the collision there is some damage to my bumper (see attached photos which show some paint damage and scratching, some denting and also suggest there may be some structural damage as, for example (as seen in the pictures attached), in relation to the left exhaust there is now a gap between the exhaust and the bumper).

See pics here: https://imgur.com/a/WDln0TD

It's the first time something like this has happened to me and I'm a bit confused as to what the best next steps are. I've sent the above to the other driver (who seemed honest enough) to confirm what happened. I was thinking of trying to get a dealer to see it (I got it from Jardine in Essex) to assess the scope, as the driver said he would be prefer to settle privately if possible. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy in the week and have quite long days so not sure how to get someone to see it quickly (I have leave on Thursday by chance so might be able to get someone to look at it then) and get an idea of how much repairs would cost. Does this sound sensible? Or is it better to contact insurers immediately?

The guy did admit on the spot that he was careless, and I hope he's honest enough to confirm the version of events above that I sent him in writing. My concern is that I'm a young driver (just under 25) and if I lose my no claims/he disputes fault later on then it could become pretty expensive.

I really would be grateful for any advice you might have. I know it's not a write-off, but it's my pride and joy really, so pretty deflated as I'm so careful with it.

I work and live in London, but grew up in Southend (where I got the car).

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
You'd be better getting it assessed at a bodyshop and then getting a couple of quotes for the repair. Give those to the guy and see what he wants to do. You may find its going to be a couple of grand to actually repair properly if so your probably best going through insurance, your going to be claiming on his insurance so it won't affect your no claims, you will however have to admit to future insurers that you've been in an accident though.
Ona side note, I hope your okay and nobody hurt in the incident. Welcome to the forum btw

OP
S

Suhaib

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Coupe (C205)
You'd be better getting it assessed at a bodyshop and then getting a couple of quotes for the repair. Give those to the guy and see what he wants to do. You may find its going to be a couple of grand to actually repair properly if so your probably best going through insurance, your going to be claiming on his insurance so it won't affect your no claims, you will however have to admit to future insurers that you've been in an accident though.
Ona side note, I hope your okay and nobody hurt in the incident. Welcome to the forum btw

Thanks very much. I was fine - at low speeds in peak London traffic - just a little gutted tbh!

Luckily the guy is decent and he responded to my email stating that he confirms the version of events and was completely responsible for all damage.

The damage doesn’t seem to be too bad, you wouldn’t notice if walking by - just that paint, slight dent and I’m not sure if that gap is a problem or not so would be really surprised if it reached thousands

Is it okay if I get it checked out before going to insurers?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
If it was low speed, then I wouldn't stress about the gapping being structural damage - sounds like the bumper has simply sprung, and/or exhaust tip has been knocked during the bump. Neither is structural, but could be expensive if bumper has distorted or cracked; same with exhaust.

At least other chap has confirmed your account of events, one less thing to worry about, just the pain in the bewtocks of getting it sorted.

As per Matt above, visit a couple of good bodyshops (ideally with MB knowledge), then go from there.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
The wife was rear ended :rolleyes: a few months ago in her Nissan Juke , the third party wanted to settle up in cash and offered £500 if it didnt go through the insurance , my wife said that she wanted to go down the proper insurance channels as without a proper repair estimate there was no way of knowing if there was any underlying damage at which point the driver got into her car and naffed off.

We had to claim on our FC insurance and on completion of the repair the total was £2500 without the courtesy car included , which was a one series for seven days.

So i would get some proper quotations before i agreed to any settlement figure.

Kenny

OP
S

Suhaib

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Coupe (C205)
Thanks - sorry to hear that, was the damage pretty bad for that level of cost?

Also if anyone knows any good people in London/Essex do let me know. Annoying thing is due to working fairly long hours in the week I don’t have time to go to multiple places and most places are shut weekends. Is there anywhere that might pick it up from me?
I’ve stumbled upon fastlane body paint and repair who seem to have excellent reviews and also merc authorised.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The plastic panel (bumper) needed replaced but it was the underneath parts that took the brunt of the impact , which they are designed to do and the tailgate opened / closed without issue.

The spare wheel well had minimal intrusion but nothing major.

Was your third party insured ? You can check on the MID website.

Kenny

OP
S

Suhaib

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Coupe (C205)
The plastic panel (bumper) needed replaced but it was the underneath parts that took the brunt of the impact , which they are designed to do and the tailgate opened / closed without issue.

The spare wheel well had minimal intrusion but nothing major.

Was your third party insured ? You can check on the MID website.

Kenny

Yep he is insured. I’m just worried that even though it’ll be no fault by premiums will shoot up as I’m a young driver.

What speed was your wife’s impact st btw?

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
A non fault claim still impacts your insurance.
Unfortunate but true.
Been there and done it, going through it again now.
5 years of increased premiums for a non fault accident. ****** joke.
I have 4 policies as well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OP
S

Suhaib

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Coupe (C205)
A non fault claim still impacts your insurance.
Unfortunate but true.
Been there and done it, going through it again now.
5 years of increased premiums for a non fault accident. ****** joke.
I have 4 policies as well.

Big increase?

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
Currently costing me approx £200 extra over the 4 policies.
Hopefully go down as each year passes. It did last time.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Our insurance was due whilst the claim was ongoing , with this in mind we had to pay the full renewal price but we were told that should the claim get settled then we would be re-reimbursed with the discounted renewal premium difference plus get our excess back.

Long story short : the TP`s car was insured so our company claimed their insurance policy and true to their word we got £80 back which was the difference between the renewal price and the discounted price plus our £200 was refunded just last week so i have no complaints with Direct Line as our ins provider.

I dont know what the impact speed was as i was not in the car at the time , the wife was sitting at a set of lights in a built up 30 limit when the impact happened.

Kenny

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Just put it through insurance, your car is precious to you, and it going to be hassle even if he seems a nice guy.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just put it through insurance, your car is precious to you, and it going to be hassle even if he seems a nice guy.

Seconded, this is what you pay them for so let them sort it out, not worth your time

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Seconded, this is what you pay them for so let them sort it out, not worth your time
I had some front end damage recently when a Vauxhall Insignia's handbrake failed and the car run across a car park and my car stopped it from going into the sea.

The owner notified his insurance and they immediately offered to get my bumper sorted and a replacement car provided using my preferred repairer which was MB Edinburgh.

The chances are that if he notified his insurance, in the circumstances as detailed, they will offer to take charge of the repair...that is if they are a reputable company, without involving your insurance.

Ernie

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Hey all

I'm new here - been meaning to join for a while, but unfortunately recent events have expedited that. I am lucky enough to drive a c250cdi coupe (it's on pcp for full disclosure).

The important thing here is that you have the car on PCP. If that is an MB Agility PCP, when the time comes to return the car, British Car Auctions, on behalf of MB Finance, will go over the car with a fine toothcomb. Anything not up to MB standards will be backcharged to you.

As the other driver appears to have admitted fault, I would take it to your MB dealer and ask their approved bodyshop to handle the whole thing for you. They will arrange repairs and seek approval from the other driver or his insurer. You are entitled to a hire car whilst they do the work. If the work is done by an MB approved bodyshop, there will be no argument at end of PCP time. Minimum hassle.

Anywhere else and you will have arguments about non-MB parts, flat paint, colour matching etc etc.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Main thing here is you are ok, it wasn’t a huge collision and the car can be fixed or replaced. It’s just an embuggerance now as you have a bit of phoning around to do etc.

As has been mentioned. Claim but do so direct off his insurance. You inform your insurance of what has happened, you have to by law, but you make it clear you’re not claiming through them. This should then not affect your no claims or premium.

If the insurance do try to put it up ask them to prove, in writing and with evidence, how you being rear ended puts you more at risk of being involved in another accident.

I had something similar with LV (Car was reversed into in the school car park where my wife was teaching and she wasn’t even in the car at the time!) That’s what I asked and funnily enough after being put through to a ‘supervisor’ my premium was returned to normal.

Insurance companies are arses at times. They will do anything to try and get more money off the honest motorist. Mainly because of all the dodgy claims etc that happen (or so they say). They even try to increase your premium each year without a claim! But as long as you’re prepared to do a bit of leg work then you can normally get a non-fault claim returned as long as you have gone direct to the third party insurance. Don’t ring your insurance to do it for you, even with fully comp. There is no difference in the amount of work you will do. It will be one phone call as if calling your own insurance. His insurance will do everything else. The only time you should need to claim through yours is if he doesn’t admit fault.

I also found that claiming direct from the third party insurance they were a lot more helpful than claims I’d made with my own in the past (and that was just for a broken windscreen!).

Good luck and hope it gets sorted for you soon.

normanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C205 c250d prem+ in white,19" alloys, brown artico leather interior
protected claims next time

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
protected claims next time
Sadly that only helps to some extent. It protects your discount but they’ll top end the premium due to the claim...ask me how I know?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom