Autobox settings

kenya1993

Reaction score
This is my first post having just joined the forum. :)

I have just taken ownership of a C220 CDI sport with the automatic gearbox and would appreciate it if anybody could advise on the best settings to use for 'normal' driving. The box comes with:

M - Manual (I understand this setting)
S - Sport
C - Comfort

Having read the car manual it advises that for everyday diving the S - Sport mode should be used, and that C - Comfort is actually for driving in slippery conditions (Ice etc.)

Is this correct ? and should I not be using the C - Comfort setting for everyday use ?

I thought that the S - Sport mode was for more aggresive driving and not normally for everyday use :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can use what ever mode you like

S is a first gear start with higher shift points
W is a 2nd gear start

There are hundreds of post here on this subject

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
My handbook defines S mode as standard

As Malcolm says C, (or on some models W for Winter) mode is a more gentle start. The car will also reverse using a different gear (I can never remember if it's higher of lower!!) so maneuvering is easier especially in slippery conditions

colechelle

Resigned
Reaction score
i keep my C320 in c, gives me 3mpg more, air con turned off, seeing 30mpg every day now!

OP
K

kenya1993

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your responses :)

So if I continue to drive in 'C' mode I won't be causing any undue stresses on the engine / gearbox when starting off in 2nd for example ?

I must be honest I bought the Sport model because I liked the styling and looks of the car. Not because I intended to drive it in a 'sporty' manner.

I have found the drive in 'C' mode a much more relaxed approach and if I am going to return a better MPG also then this is even better.

Cheers,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I keep mine in C for the best part, the wheels do not spin and much smoother with better MPG,, if you want to have fun, then the S mode is there for you:D:D

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I drive mine (C270CDi) in S mode, and I'm the world's most relaxed driver.

I just find it's altogether too slow to pick up from rest in C, and if you need to boot it, say to get on to a fast roundabout, then it still shifts down to first, but does so with an unMercedes-like jolt.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have too many gear and loads of torque so I leave it in C unless I'm at the Severn TAG Grandprix :twisted:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I drive mine (C270CDi) in S mode, and I'm the world's most relaxed driver.

I just find it's altogether too slow to pick up from rest in C, and if you need to boot it, say to get on to a fast roundabout, then it still shifts down to first, but does so with an unMercedes-like jolt.

Agree, I do the same.

Except when driving my mother around.:rolleyes:

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Me too, S all the time unless there is Ice about.

Makes no difference whatsoever to the MPG, but take off from a standing start much quicker.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom