B class engine knocked after aux belt frayed and got sucked into engine

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
is that because I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about? TBH that’s always my fear that not knowing about engines makes me vundrable to being ripped of. I don’t think this is down to bad luck but boy am I mad that I cancelled my service plan.
Not at all, you are explaining it all well, just there are some strange ‘firsts’ happening (for me at least) , so I’m interested to hear more. On the Mercedes Independent front , Andy Gayle or MSL spring to mind but they’re Birmingham or nearby

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Some BMW engines have been known to suck the auxiliary belt into the engine via the crankshaft pulley seal resulting in writing off the engine so yes it can happen

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
Not at all, you are explaining it all well, just there are some strange ‘firsts’ happening (for me at least) , so I’m interested to hear more. On the Mercedes Independent front , Andy Gayle or MSL spring to mind but they’re Birmingham or nearby
Thanks for this John. Sorry I did put a laughing face but it didn’t show When I replied. This forum is so helpful. My Son took a couple of pics but he’s out, I‘ll upload them when I can. I’m just pressurised with time as I need to have car for work. I have had lots of lease cars so as this was mine, I wanted to look after it, so can’t help but feel gutted as Ive religiously kept my services on time.

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
Some BMW engines have been known to suck the auxiliary belt into the engine via the crankshaft pulley seal resulting in writing off the engine so yes it can happen

Yes I think this is basically how they are trying to describe it to me. Thank you. Do you think it’s just bad luck that this has happened? I’m still leaning towards the comment on my service paperwork about “squeak noise coming from aux belt tensioner. Should they have removed the belt to look for wear here? My non mechanic but gut feeling is that this was the root cause?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Yes annual MB service since I bought it until last service. First thing that I did was to contact last garage as that was the last time bonnet was opened. Long chat pictures taken by my Son were sent and they said time belt would not have been inspected as interval is 124k. My concern was aux belt and squeaking noise from tensioner and should they have advised replacement? After all I then ended up having new glow plugs as well, so obviously would have had this tensioner issue resolved as well if advised.
I cant believe the belt change is not until 124K miles, I would have said 60K miles maximum. Check with MB service.
The belt should be checked at every service for condition & tension, its on the MB service check list.
If MB did not change the belt at the correct service interval you have a case against them as well.
The fact there was a noise coming from the belt/tensioner the garage should have cleared the fault during the service.
As they didn't but knew about it I think you have a good case against them.

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
Not sure if these are any help?

Attachments

• 7F1E7ACD-3E68-4875-877C-4A37C61DA18A.jpeg
    7F1E7ACD-3E68-4875-877C-4A37C61DA18A.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 9A9D169F-C531-4CAD-B22B-B072624330EC.jpeg
    9A9D169F-C531-4CAD-B22B-B072624330EC.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 08622191-FFED-4C7D-BE24-F6C51D163F52.jpeg
    08622191-FFED-4C7D-BE24-F6C51D163F52.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 8F563070-F9CD-407D-9BDF-4402C7FAE913.jpeg
    8F563070-F9CD-407D-9BDF-4402C7FAE913.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 34
  • D39D9C34-9862-41D8-ACEF-4EFBA2C3206A.jpeg
    D39D9C34-9862-41D8-ACEF-4EFBA2C3206A.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
T
I cant believe the belt change is not until 124K miles, I would have said 60K miles maximum. Check with MB service.
The belt should be checked at every service for condition & tension, its on the MB service check list.
If MB did not change the belt at the correct service interval you have a case against them as well.
The fact there was a noise coming from the belt/tensioner the garage should have cleared the fault during the service.
As they didn't but knew about it I think you have a good case against them.
Thank you. I recall him showing me the written comment and asked if was something that I needed to worry about but was told no, it was intermittent. If only I had kept my service plan with MB at least I would be dealing with main dealer. Lesson learnt

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Not sure if these are any help?
It looks like the belt has frayed but I am not an expert, there are more knowledgeable on here than me.
The issue you have now is proving the belt failed causing the damage, ideally you need an independent report.
The last garage will deny liability stating at the time it was only a squeak, still very poor service.
Your other option is to check with MB when the belt should been changed, if it was during your service plan you have a case.

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
It looks like the belt has frayed but I am to an expert, there are more knowable than me on here.
The issue you have now is proving the belt failed causing the damage, ideally you need an independent report.
The last garage will deny liability stating at the time it was only a squeak, still very poor service.
Your other option is to check with MB when the belt should been changed, if it was during your service plan you have a case.
Yes what I think is the aux belt shot frayed bits into the time belt region which threw the teeth out, so timing went. They’ve tried to repair this and new belt but no joy, hence now either dismantle engine further to find why it won’t power ( possible valve damage plus more) or replace with a recon engine. The garage owner mechanic of 35 years says it’ll be hard to prove fault or just ****** bad luck.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes I think this is basically how they are trying to describe it to me. Thank you. Do you think it’s just bad luck that this has happened? I’m still leaning towards the comment on my service paperwork about “squeak noise coming from aux belt tensioner. Should they have removed the belt to look for wear here? My non mechanic but gut feeling is that this was the root cause?

Yes looks like bad luck unfortunately and quite rare but something that garages should be looking out for, might be as a result of a change in the manufacturing of the belt nowadays.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Exactly what I was thinking.
I smell a rat or really poor diagnosis.
Same unless no airfilter? Unlikely and you would have heard it.
Get the requirement confirmed somewhere else.. l would think its maybe a case of belt slipped a few cogs ??

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The fan belt is a red herring.
More than likely but the implication is that the cam belt has frayed enough to have jumped a tooth or 3 somewhere. Though frayed, the teeth don't look bad enough to have jumped ..... I've seen drive belts at work far more worn than that but haven't slipped and they live in a far more hostile environment of water & tomato sauce :rolleyes:

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
My best guess from the evidence supplied is that bits of the frayed fan belt got between the cam belt and the toothed pulley and caused it to jump a couple of teeth , valves bumping to pistons end of story QED

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
My best guess from the evidence supplied is that bits of the frayed fan belt got between the cam belt and the toothed pulley and caused it to jump a couple of teeth , valves bumping to pistons end of story QED
But the timing belt is well covered with a tight cover ?
Assuming it is a Renault engine.

OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
Exactly my thoughts too. So just back luck and do I smile through gritted teeth. Gut feeling says scrap, swollow hard and start again? Thoughts appreciated Andrew

Last edited:
OP
T

Trishelon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class
MB b class 180cdi
One of the pics shows a cover with marks where I believe the cover has sat alongside the aux belt potentially causing it to fray

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom