Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
plod under employed again... hardly life threatening , meanwhile someone is breaking into my car or beating up grandma for her pension, ,,,list goes on...and on..

And when the person with incorrect plates which makes an index number indecipherable bounces off your car and makes off or runs a red light and nearly runs a child over and witnesses can't give a positive ID the police are expected to then spend even more time looking for a silver mercedes car or a white vauxhall.

I don't get the love in with personalised plates having to spell exactly what you want it to and putting screws etc in places to make it look like something it isn't. I have a private plate and I'm quite happy with the letters not spelling something exactly.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Didn't get them to go through speed cameras, rob bank's or owt else for that matter, got them because I thought they looked good ( a matter of opinion I know) You could say not crime of the century or life or death,
(not to the copper of course) I knew they were illegal, took a chance and it backfired, so fair cop, so to speak.

You would of have to change them anyway to get through the MOT ?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
The plates on one of my old cars is legal and the old style black and white. I was at a service station one day and the cashier asked me the reg number, I said to her, 'camera's not working' in which she replied yes but your plate isn't legible.
The camera showed the front of the car and the plate was nothing but a bright reflection of silver. I'm sure it was just reflection from those stupid annoying blue tint headlights bulbs that cast a blinding beam to every other motorist :rolleyes:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Illegal number plates is just one more excuse for the Police to pull you over and breathalyse you this time of the year. Some years ago a colleague got stopped after lunch when he had had a drink or two. Fortunately for him, their breath tester machine wasn’t working properly so they had to wait for another car to come over to them. He spent a very uncomfortable 30 to 40 minutes waiting and he was under the limit when they did test him.

I can’t see why anyone would give the police an opportunity to pull you over and illegal or badly spaced number places is one excuse that is avoidable.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I did wonder how long before you were pulled with those plates on.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I agree with the above,
it won't happen again.
I mean above you LostKiwi,
but l agree with you to.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You woz banged to rights bruv. Rules is dem rules. Capiche?

Last edited:
OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Yep Capiche! :)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I have a private plate and made the mistake of fitting show plates when I first bought the car. Perfectly legible, standard lettering but the spaces were even between each character rather than two separate blocks of characters. It actually makes the number easier to read. I was pulled two days later as a police car sat behind me in traffic. Fined and warned by post that I would forfeit the my ownership of the number if it was incorrectly displayed in future. I really don't understand why it's an issue unless readability is impaired. I haven't used those plates again, but I find it irritating and petty.

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
I have a private plate and made the mistake of fitting show plates when I first bought the car. Perfectly legible, standard lettering but the spaces were even between each character rather than two separate blocks of characters. It actually makes the number easier to read. I was pulled two days later as a police car sat behind me in traffic. Fined and warned by post that I would forfeit the my ownership of the number if it was incorrectly displayed in future. I really don't understand why it's an issue unless readability is impaired. I haven't used those plates again, but I find it irritating and petty.
As nobody else has said this yet - hypocracy of the government - selling personal plates in the knowledge some (not all) only ‘work’ with illegal spacing or ‘screws’. I know the original post was about the type of plate but it did stray into spacing !

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As nobody else has said this yet - hypocracy of the government - selling personal plates in the knowledge some (not all) only ‘work’ with illegal spacing or ‘screws’. I know the original post was about the type of plate but it did stray into spacing !
It can equally be argued the purchaser bought the plate knowing it only works with illegal spacing and were still prepared to do so!

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Irritating and petty as it might be, if a number plate can't be properly read by ANPR then there could be financial implications, and I'm not just referring to avoiding Speed (sorry, Safety) Cameras.

I'm thinking more along the lines of when a vehicle has been stolen and the 'culpability' of the owner in fitting such plates. For 'culpability' [in Insurance terms] read, 'an excuse not to pay out a full/true value'.

If the vehicle is never recovered, then they [the Ins Co] would be unlikely to know although, in these days they may even (with a high value vehicle) check for Internet postings and may even send an Investigator to interview neighbours as to how the vehicle was parked overnight and might 'slip in' the number plate question. Such would go along the lines of, "Did you see or hear anything that night?" and then, "Where was the vehicle normally parked overnight?" continuing onto, "Was there anything particularly noticeable about the vehicle such as modifications or the way the Reg No was displayed?"

If the vehicle is recovered, but damaged, then the non-conforming plates will probably be evident. Which then begs the question as to whether, with conforming plates, the vehicle may have been recovered earlier [via ANPR] and in an undamaged state.

The question then arises as to whether that particular vehicle was 'targeted' for Theft because the Reg Plates fitted would unlikely to be correctly read by ANPR?

Picking numbers out of the air here but, I could foresee an Insurance Company reducing their 'liability' from anywhere between 20 and 50% on the basis that an owner pursued a 'vanity' option, rather than complying with Legislation designed to employ established means of locating vehicles stolen or used in Crime.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I don’t under stand how so many get away without being pulled that has small numbers / letters , I was sitting at traffic lights and police behind me come down and give me a verbal for a extra space after 2nd letter in.
Yet behind them sat a audi with tiny numbers but just got back in there car and never bothered.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
My number is less memorable when displayed in standard form. It's no more legible either way. No screws distorting the figures, no magical reflecting surface, no lettering so close together it might be mistaken for a different letter. The law is an ass.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
But we still need to comply.
What gives anyone the right to pick and choose which laws they obey and which they think shouldn't apply to them?

I do comply since the fine / written warning. I just don't see any merit in enforcement where no safety benefit is gained. Making the vehicle more anonymous serves no one.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do comply since the fine / written warning. I just don't see any merit in enforcement where no safety benefit is gained. Making the vehicle more anonymous serves no one.
Ken_R made a valid point above. Then there are average speed cameras in roadworks, parking systems or anyone else using ANPR (airport long stay car parks, even Ferry companies now use it).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I still don't know. I tried 260 OIL in askmid...but said not insured. This highlights why the correct spacing and font should be used.
260 OIL is on a Passat uninsured

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom