Been pulled for me number plates.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ken_R made a valid point above. Then there are average speed cameras in roadworks, parking systems or anyone else using ANPR (airport long stay car parks, even Ferry companies now use it).
I'm finding that some ANPR cameras struggle with less than normal number plates, when I venture into the Sainbury car park the ANPR system can't pick up my number plate - it has 3 letters and 2 numbers. I've tried it a few times and it displays the first bit and then ??? at the end or nothing at all. I see the car in front being displayed on the screen it just struggles with my legal plate I'm guessing because it's got less digits on. I've never over stayed the 2 hour parking so don't know if I'd get a parking enforcement notice (and I'm not planning on testing it...)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The plates on one of my old cars is legal and the old style black and white. I was at a service station one day and the cashier asked me the reg number, I said to her, 'camera's not working' in which she replied yes but your plate isn't legible.
The camera showed the front of the car and the plate was nothing but a bright reflection of silver. I'm sure it was just reflection from those stupid annoying blue tint headlights bulbs that cast a blinding beam to every other motorist :rolleyes:

xactly ref lights.! i have std private plates. and have no desire for anything law defying . my point was plod ought to be busy enough, and i think that they are often more concerned about cruising around investigating revenue streams than looking after people and property. and i am far from convinced that this is the case today.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I'm finding that some ANPR cameras struggle with less than normal number plates, when I venture into the Sainbury car park the ANPR system can't pick up my number plate - it has 3 letters and 2 numbers. I've tried it a few times and it displays the first bit and then ??? at the end or nothing at all. I see the car in front being displayed on the screen it just struggles with my legal plate I'm guessing because it's got less digits on. I've never over stayed the 2 hour parking so don't know if I'd get a parking enforcement notice (and I'm not planning on testing it...)

I have almost the same but 4 letters and 1 number, and it picks that up.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Strangely the Sainsbury ANPR locally only picked up the perfectly legal number plates on our Meriva once.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yours will have a date letter then that it might be programmed to accept. Mines a 68 plate but none of those annoying letters afterwards so dateless which might confuse the system. Then again my Land Rover doesn’t get picked up either but that’s for another reason...

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I got fined £90 2 wks ago for parking in a town I was not in.
Not my car yet same number and a mercedes. But now I have to try to
prove my innocence by saying my car is blue. But they won’t reveal the colour they have , or at least not so far. Lot of hassle.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I got fined £90 2 wks ago for parking in a town I was not in.
Not my car yet same number and a mercedes. But now I have to try to
prove my innocence by saying my car is blue. But they won’t reveal the colour they have , or at least not so far. Lot of hassle.
Something similar happened to my mate. The police claim there was an incident involving his SLK that he owned. However he was most definately not at the place and time the police alleged. After a bit of a wrangle the police told him there would be no action against him "on this occasion" the tone of which left rather a lot to be desired as he was completely innocent ! I don't know whether this was ANPR malfunction, witness error or something else but my mate did spot a very similar car to his with a similar registration and he's firmly of the opinion it was that car which was "confused" with his.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
I have the pressed aluminium type plates on my cars,all BS stamped and legal,I find the anpr's won't pick them up in car parks at least.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My mate had a stick on reflectorised plate on his classic and went through the road works a bit faster than the average speed on the M25. When he arrived home a few days later there was a speed fine in the post, so his vinyl stick on were pinged as ledgible by the average speed cameras :(

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Me too and mine gets picked up fine. If the number is displayed correctly it should be picked up ok, unless it's dirty or not made from approved materials.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Something similar happened to my mate. The police claim there was an incident involving his SLK that he owned. However he was most definately not at the place and time the police alleged. After a bit of a wrangle the police told him there would be no action against him "on this occasion" the tone of which left rather a lot to be desired as he was completely innocent ! I don't know whether this was ANPR malfunction, witness error or something else but my mate did spot a very similar car to his with a similar registration and he's firmly of the opinion it was that car which was "confused" with his.

What I don’t like you can’t talk to anyone it all has to be done by post
You can’t even ring to see what’s happening.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible

The software used by law enforcement is a lot more advanced than those car park systems. Seen the results and the enforcement ones get a 3 9's accuracy regardless of spacing and material. I was surprised by how dirty they could be and still read. They captured correctly what took a human several seconds to get on the same image. These things are now also getting used for facial recognition at a distance and are into the higher percentages there, but still some way to go on that front before 3 9's is hit.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Apparently if you go past a camera at more that 170 mph the camera wont see you. :shock:

I've not tested that though.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
The software used by law enforcement is a lot more advanced than those car park systems. Seen the results and the enforcement ones get a 3 9's accuracy regardless of spacing and material. I was surprised by how dirty they could be and still read. They captured correctly what took a human several seconds to get on the same image. These things are now also getting used for facial recognition at a distance and are into the higher percentages there, but still some way to go on that front before 3 9's is hit.

Which makes all the fuss about spacing and plate material nonsense really.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible

And why the police rarely bother with them these days. Usually its something else that catches their eye and its a reason to stop the owner for checks, rather than just because of the plate.

Guidelines / rules are still needed so its not a free for all though.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)

No. The sizing of the characters, font, spacing and colours were optimised for the Mark 1 human eyeball because it makes it easier for a Police officer to read when following a car at high speed in the dark. Enforcement ANPR systems were then "trained" to read the plates because it's easier to teach a machine than a human.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Based on my eperience attempting to train my PC and my wife, I think you're correct!!:D:D

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
plod under employed again... hardly life threatening , meanwhile someone is breaking into my car or beating up grandma for her pension, ,,,list goes on...and on..

interesting choice of phrase.... surely its exactly that "life threatening"... in todays world by hiding who you are, would you not tend to drive more recklessly as you think there are fewer consequences?

edit. oh I see many already went this route...

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Apparently if you go past a camera at more that 170 mph the camera wont see you. :shock:

I've not tested that though.

Knowing my luck I would get clocked at 169.9mph :mad::mad:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom