C63 AMG Night Edition??

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
And now DSG
I have to say I am very impressed with the DSG, but then I would have to say that since switching my allegiance :rolleyes::D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have to say I am very impressed with the DSG, but then I would have to say that since switching my allegiance :rolleyes::D

I tried it in '06 on a MK5 Golf GTi, was amazed by it

Last edited:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Don't want to hijack the thread but with all the talk about gearboxes I want to say something...
As pointed out DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission), DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and PDK (not even going there) are what Mercedes, Audi and Porsche call their automatic twin clutch gearboxes.
My previous Audi had a DSG and always took off like a rocket with no delay, but my CLA 35 with DCT has a terrible delay when wanting to do the same thing.
This is noticed in everyday driving when for example wanting to get out reasonably quick at a roundabout...the revs rise but the car just sits there for maybe a second (I havent actually timed it) before the car moves. I can overcome this delay if I press the accelerator to at least half way down or more, but then the car takes off far too quickly and I do not feel in control, so not really an option.
I have looked into this and apparently "they all do that". :(

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Don't want to hijack the thread but with all the talk about gearboxes I want to say something...
As pointed out DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission), DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and PDK (not even going there) are what Mercedes, Audi and Porsche call their automatic twin clutch gearboxes.
My previous Audi had a DSG and always took off like a rocket with no delay, but my CLA 35 with DCT has a terrible delay when wanting to do the same thing.
This is noticed in everyday driving when for example wanting to get out reasonably quick at a roundabout...the revs rise but the car just sits there for maybe a second (I havent actually timed it) before the car moves. I can overcome this delay if I press the accelerator to at least half way down or more, but then the car takes off far too quickly and I do not feel in control, so not really an option.
I have looked into this and apparently "they all do that". :(
I would say the A45 and CLA45 have a DKG Box which compared to DSG is so lazy and dimwhitted i have found

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I would say the A45 and CLA45 have a DKG Box which compared to DSG is so lazy and dimwhitted i have found
Yes I was only speaking for the 35 models. I know the 45 models have a different gearbox with an extra gear so I assumed it would have been better...but apparently not. :(
Do you know of the reason for this annoying delay with the DCT box on the 35 models, and could it be cured with software?

cheshireE220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI / 2003 / 2.2 turbo diesel
Went through similar recently and my objective was to buy approved used too.
In recent months I drove several models, I would encourage you to stick to going for facelift. It is a huge improvement. The sound is a little different, but not lacking in any way. The sports exhaust is also standard on the facelift model, which is not the case with pre-facelift.
The gearbox in day to day life, not sure you will notice too much difference, the older 7 speed is still great, but I would defer to knowledge from GAD's post as they are more expert in this than most, given what they do to these cars! The 9 speed may be more economical?

The facelift adds some other nice touches, including the new grille, car play and newer front screen and digital dash and some other small tweaks.

Is it a coupe, saloon or estate you are after?
I would only consider a 4 door saloon car. What year was the facelift car?

I'd look to buy late summer when I hope prices will have cooled off. They are overpriced by around £5k currently - a view shared by a MB dealer. I will be asking him to search out a car within the dealership network for me. I am in absolutely no hurry. Strong negotiating position.

cheshireE220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI / 2003 / 2.2 turbo diesel
In AMGs the 9 speed is like a single wet clutch that engages and then uses the Multi clutches to shift between gears i believe, great system seems to be able to deal with high amounts of power and torque

DSG/PDK/DCT are actual twin clutched manual systems

Many thanks
But is 7G a torque converter box or is it single wet clutch replacing torque converter as in the 9G?

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I would only consider a 4 door saloon car. What year was the facelift car?

I'd look to buy late summer when I hope prices will have cooled off. They are overpriced by around £5k currently - a view shared by a MB dealer. I will be asking him to search out a car within the dealership network for me. I am in absolutely no hurry. Strong negotiating position.
Facelift was from MY19.

Regarding prices, yes I see what you mean about them cooling. Last few months, they have been fairly firm and in fact have gone up a little if anything in the last year or two.

On the MB approved platform at the moment, the cheapest saloon is a blue 16 plate with 29k miles for 34k. It doesn't have the exhaust option though but seems better value than most others on sale.

Facefilt cars are 49-50k upwards in saloon form.

Let's compare after summer!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom