Cars on the pavement.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Winge time.

I get that with the ever increasing number of cars that parking gets more difficult. More and more though I'm finding that I am walking in the road to pass cars not just with wheels on but blocking what is designed as the walkway.

I'm without disability so can walk easily into the road, it is still more dangerous though. Those with pushchairs and wheelchars must get reaaly peeved at this.

On a posh car forum such as this there likely will be a good few that feel that their car is also more important than the humble pavement user, or do we feel it's being selfish?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Selfish and illegal. If I must park on a pavement always leave enough space for someone to get past.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
About four doors down from me there is a disabled a-hole who always parks her Peugeot 2008 on the pavement about 6 inches from her garden wall, and she should know better than anybody ! The joke of it is that there is usually two or three places she could park immediately opposite her hose but she never does Grrrrrrrrrrrr........

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Winge time.

I get that with the ever increasing number of cars that parking gets more difficult. More and more though I'm finding that I am walking in the road to pass cars not just with wheels on but blocking what is designed as the walkway.

I'm without disability so can walk easily into the road, it is still more dangerous though. Those with pushchairs and wheelchars must get reaaly peeved at this.

On a posh car forum such as this there likely will be a good few that feel that their car is also more important than the humble pavement user, or do we feel it's being selfish?

I too get irritated by such selfish behaviour. As it happens the worst offenders near where I live (in UK) are two Mercedes owners who prefer to park immediately outside their front doors rather than in the street.

Although it is possible to walk past I called the district council to ask them to take a look. Their response was that unless there is a parking restriction in the adjacent road they are powerless to act. Only the Police will act if there is a clear obstruction and they have the inclination to do so. Unless responsibility is delegated to the council I suspect nothing will change.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Selfish and illegal. If I must park on a pavement always leave enough space for someone to get past.

I don’t think it is illegal to park on the pavement but it is to drive on it but yes, very selfish.
I think it it just another low level crime that gets overlooked like parking to close to a junction or in the wrong direction at night.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And can’t be bothered to use car parks and walk.
To be fair sometimes its not possible to park in a car park and walk - residential streets for example.
And thats part of the problem. Even on new estates where there is a driveway its usually only big enough to park the homeowners vehicles. If you have a visitor then there is nowhere to park except on the road. Some roads are so narrow that parking off the footpath nearly blocks the road to other cars. (Craig will know what I mean).
I have a mate who bought a new house on an estate near Mansfield and he couldn't even get their two cars on the drive.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I think this is taking the P a bit:

upload_2018-4-30_11-17-4.png

Lovely thing to see outside my window.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If that was mine I certainly wouldn't park it outside my house. That would be up the road somewhere !! :rolleyes:
It's a visitor of the opposite neighbour that obviously has issues with paying council tax.... :p

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apparently illegal in London but not the rest of the country according to the Rode Code.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes LK,
attempts to make it nationwide have failed, so far.

As it's illegal to drive on the footpath, and to park on the footpath a driver must drive onto it, you would think prosecutions would be easy enough. After all as the news articles show there are some amazingly ignorant footpath parkers.

Aside from vehicles churning up grassed edges I've no issue with people parking part on a footpath. Blocking it and preventing it being used for it's designed purpose is my issue.
I guess as we, and the world generally, get more over crowded selfish styles will be more common.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As long as a car is taxed and insured the owner can park anywhere they like on roads/pavements providing they are not causing an obstruction. That is the statement I received from my local council when I tried to complain about pavement parking outside my daughter’s property.

I have sympathy for residents who can’t find enough parking space outside their homes but the culprits who park outside her house are from local businesses who can’t be bothered to walk a short distance from available public parking.

I suspect that we have reached the same tipping point regarding pavement parking to that experienced in London before the ban so it will no doubt be extended into the provinces.

Always the case unfortunately that the few inconsiderate parkers spoil it for the rest

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I don’t think it is illegal to park on the pavement but it is to drive on it but yes, very selfish.
I think it it just another low level crime that gets overlooked like parking to close to a junction or in the wrong direction at night.
How would you park on the pavement if you hadn't driven on it first? Levitation is not an option even on a Mercedes. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
“Cars on the pavement” ? Should this not be in the ‘events’ section? :D
Could have a bouncy castle and BBQ as well as many stalls , this could ‘pave’ the way for something special :rolleyes:

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
How would you park on the pavement if you hadn't driven on it first? Levitation is not an option even on a Mercedes. :)

I think the issue is that law enforcement would have to catch the driver parking. We all know that 100% of cars parked in this way were driven there.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not such an issue these days. An owner is approached to declare who the driver was, a heavy fine (not sure if points are involved) for failure to declare.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
A few years ago, I saw a policeman putting penalty notices on a row of cars that had a wheel on the footpath at the seaside village of Ingomells, Lincs. I had a look at one of the notices, and it said an offence had been committed of `obstruction of the footpath`, but there was still room to walk on the footpath.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom