Central Locking

M

muzzere320

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Bodywork section but here goes.

I can't get into the boot. Up 'til this morning no problems - unlock the car on the button and open up by pressing the lock. As of this morning although all four doors are unlocking the book remains locked and the key will not ulock it.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Also is there a route in from the passenger compartment without damaging the seats/trim - if so any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Pete

type49

Reaction score
Very strange that the key won't unlock it. Do you know you have to turn it 45 degree clockwise & then pull the handle?

OP
M

muzzere320

Type49

Thanks for that the car is a saloon so there is no handle, but I have tried pushing the button (the lock is the button) in with the key in every position I can find - but no success

Cheers

Pete

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
The boot lock tends to seize up as the key is seldom used, squirt some lubricant into the lock then work the key back and forwards, it may take some time but the lock should free off.
There is no way I know into the boot from the passenger compartment without causing damage to the seatbacks, sorry.

OP
M

muzzere320

Thanks for the responses.

I went and had another go during my lunch break. The problem turned out to be the catch/lock not being fully engaged. While fiddling around with it I noticed the bottom edge of the bootlid flexing which seemed a bit odd; so I tried to nudge it so it closed properly - no joy. So, I somewhat gingerly grabbed the bottom edge and gave it a tug - hey presto the lid popped open:D. It seems the catch had engaged enough to keep the boot closed but not enough to fully engage the locking system. On looking at the mechanism I noticed it was covered in grime so I'll give it a good clean & lubricate it at the week end.

Cheers

Pete

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I went and had another go during my lunch break. The problem turned out to be the catch/lock not being fully engaged. While fiddling around with it I noticed the bottom edge of the bootlid flexing which seemed a bit odd; so I tried to nudge it so it closed properly - no joy. So, I somewhat gingerly grabbed the bottom edge and gave it a tug - hey presto the lid popped open:D. It seems the catch had engaged enough to keep the boot closed but not enough to fully engage the locking system. On looking at the mechanism I noticed it was covered in grime so I'll give it a good clean & lubricate it at the week end.

Cheers

Pete

At least you posted back and informed all. Thats all people expect - to be informed of the outcome. THANKS:D

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
while we are on the topic of boot locks, what key can you use to open the lock ? the same key that you use to start the car with ? doesnt work on mine, maybe i need to clean the lock as C220GJS says

cheers
anyweb

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
Sometimes my boot seems to stay locked if I haven't had it open for a few weeks. However, it is just the rubber sealing moulding that sticks to the lid and holds it closed - just requires a tug, as it has in fact unlocked.
Ron

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Sometimes my boot seems to stay locked if I haven't had it open for a few weeks. However, it is just the rubber sealing moulding that sticks to the lid and holds it closed - just requires a tug, as it has in fact unlocked.
Ron

Wipe some petroeum jelly (vaseline) around the seal, just a very small amount will stop it sticking.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom