Choosing my new Mercedes

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
Hi all,

After some great discussion on another thread I thought I should set up a dedicated thread for my on-going car hunt.

Those who've read my other thread, regarding C350 mpg, will know gizze pointed out that the car I'd been viewing wasn't quite the model I'd been lead to beleive, likely a genuine error, but an error never the less. I'm part to blame for sure, but I'm still learning.

So, what do I want? Basically I'm after a used C350 Estate but I want the newer 265bhp/457ft.lbs engine and the newer, improved 7 speed auto. I'm aware that some of the pre-face lift 2011 cars supposedly had the improved gearbox - maybe that's why the dealer thought the car I viewed had it. However, I plan to go post-facelift to be more certain and, as a bonus, get the improved interior etc. Might as well do it right.

I've had a little search on line this morning and I've found this car, which looks spot on. It's even my No. 1 colour choice. What do you think, does this look like a good example to you & at a fair price?

Cheers,

Scoob.

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
Looks very much like my car, but at a price considerably less than I paid for mine a year ago. Well it was new!
That looks pretty good to me and I'm sure you could negotiate a bit of a discount as well. C Class with the 350 CDI engine are quite rare.

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey all,

Cool, I like it too :)

Might give them a call & try to arrange a visit, fair distance to travel though. I wonder if my more local dealers could arrange to snag the car for me - I assume most Merc dealers are linked, like with other manufacturers? I had one dealer once snag a car from Liverpool for me...I ended up buying it and using them for servicing for three years, so they did well out of it.

Scoob.

phillj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CGI Estate
The link you posted indicates the vehicle is a Mercedes retail car, supplied direct from Mercedes. Not the same as a Franchised dealer, interestingly I cannot find the car on the Mercedes retail site http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup.co.uk/

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The link you posted indicates the vehicle is a Mercedes retail car, supplied direct from Mercedes. Not the same as a Franchised dealer, interestingly I cannot find the car on the Mercedes retail site http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup.co.uk/

Hi phillj,

Guess I'm best off giving them a quick call to find out what the deal is - I'll post back here when I have something.

Scoob.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I think its fair to say that would have "sufficient" get up and go for ones needs..
Looks very nice indeed. Power with practicality so you wouldn't even feel guilty about splashing out..

The later generation of linguatronic is superb.. I was playing about with one on a C250 Estate I borrowed whilst my car was being supposedly sorted..
It even knew where Portmeirion was.. Most Satnavs don't seem to have heard of it.

It also has the Bi Xenon headlights.. These are not a gimmick.. They are quite literally Brilliant.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
AAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its SILVER!!!!!

seriously though, it looks extremely nice, even though im not a fan of silver myself

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey,

@ S.Speed - yeah, the spec is excellent, don't think I'd disappointed with it.

@ turbopete - it's Palladium Silver, so darker and more Greyish silver, sorta Gunmetal Grey almost - I like it. My Focus is Grey metallic, my Subaru is metallic Grey/Blue - I quite like Grey :)

Scoob.

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Damn, that Merc I previously linked to has been removed already - I wonder if it's sold? It only appeared today!

Ah well, more searching...

Scoob.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Damn, that Merc I previously linked to has been removed already - I wonder if it's sold? It only appeared today!

Ah well, more searching...

Scoob.

Do what I did..
If you see one on the dealers website you are interested in then put a small refundable deposit on.
They will then hold it for you till you can get down to see it.

I like the darker gun metal greys but I find the silver grey waaay too common now and that puts me off.

Here you are...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/1501/postcode/fy60lp?logcode=p

Last edited:
OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi S.Speed.

That would be a good idea, might do that when I next spot one I really like.

I like the first one you linked to, 195 miles from me though so don't know if "my" dealer would be able to nab it. The 2nd one is red...eeeewww! lol.

I will keep looking, in no hurry (I try to tell myself) so will wait for the right one to appear.

Cheers,

Scoob.

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lol, I'm daft. that was 195 miles from your postcode not mine. Thought it looked similar to one in my current search results. 39 miles from me!

Nice example...will check it out in detail later.

Scoob.

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Triple post, sorry, cannot edit prior posts unfortunately.

Well, my mate is saying I should still consider C250's as a viable choice as it's still a great engine. I've actually driven a C250 and that's true, though they do lack a certain something vs. the larger, smoother 3 litre unit. Still, my sensible head says I should at least consider this, what do you think?

I would need to learn more about the C250 varient, as I suspect things like gearbox and equipment are also different.

Scoob.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
250's are good engines! Still lots of power to be had however your right there will always be that lack of 6 pot smoothness!

Regards

Anthony

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
7g plus is the same autobox as the 350cdi.

To be honest they will be different, a four is smaller and more responsive and will probably turn better as the engine weight will be less.

Speaking to my indie about it, he was dead against the new blue efficinecy 4pots and OM651 and I posed this question to him, C350 or C250 and he said 350 all day long

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
Agree completely, 350 every time. Having tried both on extended drives myself, I'm sure you wouldn't be totally happy with anything less.

OP
S

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I've no doubt the C250 is a good engine. I just drove a standard one and it was nice. Not sure what the tuning potential of it is, a twin parallel turbo setup on a 4-pot sounds a little odd to me. However, being low-pressure, that's where the initial response will come from.

See, what I really want is the 350, no doubt, but that tiny, sensible part of my brain issaying to at least consider the 250. Well, shall we say I've done that & move on? lol.

Having been in my friends E350 Coupe, I know what a lovely engine that 350 is. It also feels much more effortless when pottering along, whereas the C250 I drove felt a little thrashy at times by comparison, though far far better than the C220 I also drove. I think the heavier body of the Estate will benefit from the larger engine.

So, yeah, unless something turns up that really impresses me, I'll be looking exclusively at C350's from now on I think.

Scoob.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom