Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Who is actually at fault:

The cyclist was riding an illegal bike

The Pedestrian was not paying attention and walked out in to the road

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Who is actually at fault:

The cyclist was riding an illegal bike

The Pedestrian was not paying attention and walked out in to the road
I think at the end of the day the Pedestrian should have been looking where she was going regardless of whether the bike was legal or not. The fact that it was illegal and there are many more illegal machinery on our roads should have intensified her awareness !!. The cyclist however is still culpable.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
There will be contributory negligence on the side of the pedestrian. But..she died...I know who the jury will sympathise with.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The way I view a motor vehicle meets cyclist situation is that regardless of root cause the motorist will be defending his accountability.

With cyclist meets pedestrian a similar situation exists to my mind. The big difference is that the cyclist doesn't need insurance cover to compensate, and in this case he is defending his accountability - very poorly.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I like the way things were explained to me by a legal friend as to how he thought it SHOULD work....

"If a vehicle is illegal it should not be on the road therefore any fault for any accident resides in the driver of the illegal vehicle, irrespective of whether they would have been in the wrong had the vehicle been legal."

Pity we don't have judges who think that way....

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
But very likely to go to prison.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
But very likely to go to prison.

What he has been charged with carries a maximum sentence of 2 years. Wanton and furious driving dating back to the 1800's.

Still showing absolutely no remorse I hope he gets at least a year for some attitude adjustment.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
What he has been charged with carries a maximum sentence of 2 years. Wanton and furious driving dating back to the 1800's.

The Offences Against the Person Act 1861.
Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.

Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years, . . .

It's not the first time that the Legislation has been used in recent decades. There was an instance, IIRC, where 'youfs' were frantically driving a car around a field and and a person got struck by the vehicle and died. As it was not 'on a road' then none of the RTA offences could apply. From memory, a conviction under the same Legislation resulted.

I'm somewhat disappointed that he wasn't convicted of Manslaughter. Not only did he shout once for the poor lady to get out of the way, but he also had time, seemingly, to shout such a second demand, including expletives, before he struck her.

I've been following the tragedy here, and on other Forums (No. Not Cycling forums) and the Press reported the accused 'Defence' (and cross examination) last Thursday. At the closing of the 'Defence', I can't imagine that there would have been any more witnesses so, the Friday would have been taken up by Submissions of both the Prosecution and the Defence.

With the weekend looming, I can envisage the Judge delaying his 'summing up' until early on the Monday. The Jury would then be 'sent away' to deliberate their findings sometime +/- Lunchtime Monday.

And, seemingly, it has taken until late Wednesday, before they came back with their verdict(s). That is a long time for a Jury to come to their conclusions. I can envisage that there were a large number of Jurors who wanted the Manslaughter charge to stand, but not enough for the 10-2 majority.

I can appreciate both the grief and the objectives of the Husband of wanting the Legislation updated but, as this case, and others, have proved, whilst it is old, it is still sufficiently robust.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The Offences Against the Person Act 1861.

It's not the first time that the Legislation has been used in recent decades. There was an instance, IIRC, where 'youfs' were frantically driving a car around a field and and a person got struck by the vehicle and died. As it was not 'on a road' then none of the RTA offences could apply. From memory, a conviction under the same Legislation resulted.

I'm somewhat disappointed that he wasn't convicted of Manslaughter. Not only did he shout once for the poor lady to get out of the way, but he also had time, seemingly, to shout such a second demand, including expletives, before he struck her.

I've been following the tragedy here, and on other Forums (No. Not Cycling forums) and the Press reported the accused 'Defence' (and cross examination) last Thursday. At the closing of the 'Defence', I can't imagine that there would have been any more witnesses so, the Friday would have been taken up by Submissions of both the Prosecution and the Defence.

With the weekend looming, I can envisage the Judge delaying his 'summing up' until early on the Monday. The Jury would then be 'sent away' to deliberate their findings sometime +/- Lunchtime Monday.

And, seemingly, it has taken until late Wednesday, before they came back with their verdict(s). That is a long time for a Jury to come to their conclusions. I can envisage that there were a large number of Jurors who wanted the Manslaughter charge to stand, but not enough for the 10-2 majority.

I can appreciate both the grief and the objectives of the Husband of wanting the Legislation updated but, as this case, and others, have proved, whilst it is old, it is still sufficiently robust.

Absolutely Ken. In any case, Common Law and Common Sense should never be strangers, though you do sometimes wonder. It seems that reason will prevail in this case. Speed limits are all very well, but we should all be driving at a speed to suit the prevailing conditions and from which we can stop urgently in the event of the unexpected.

Alex

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The need for Judges is never more easily exampled, prescriptive law is often an ass.
Guiding a Jury through this case by an able Judge and leaving personalities till sentencing allows society to exact a sentence that reflects the crime..... but only if the tools are their for the prosecution which in this case left an old act to be dusted off and used where others failed;

S35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) is as follows:

“Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”

For instance, in 2009 supermarket worker Darren Hall was convicted of ‘wanton and furious driving’ after he had ridden on the pavement and hit and killed an 84-year old pedestrian. Hall was jailed for seven months and banned from driving a car for a year. Courts only have this power where a cyclist has injured another party by “wanton and furious driving or racing.”

Last para C&P

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Last edited:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
18 months custodial in a Young Offenders Institution, or criminal school.

Life has such a low value in compare to bucking the system :(:(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
18 months custodial in a Young Offenders Institution, or criminal school.

Life has such a low value in compare to bucking the system :(:(

No, you're wrong. It's ok because he keeps his feelings hidden as a coping strategy, the poor delicate little snowflake. (In the article...)

Sentence: the Russian Solution. Bit like the Chinese one but cheaper.

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
The scum stood in the dock shaking his head as sentence was given.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The scum stood in the dock shaking his head as sentence was given.

Probably still thinks he did nothing wrong.His attitude stinks IMO, not showing the slightest sign of being sorry or guilty.

He'll get some attitude adjustment in a young offenders institute even though he'll be back on the streets by next summer.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom