Depreciation

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I don’t know the details but my son pays a similar amount for his Taycan (EV) compared to what he paid for his ICE AMG E53 (company car scheme).
Taycan EV - VS ICE AMG E53 for Company Car Tax

1691350692971.png

Versus

1691350757948.png

I'm not sure £300-£600 is the "same as" £6000-£7700 (double that for a 40% taxpayer).....

See - the myths still keep coming!

There is so much un-truth being spread at the moment...

I don't want to come over as an EV Evangelist, but I do get peed off when there are SO many lies spread about owning and running one.....

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
ha ha funny times isnt it, they even have chargers at the local toby carvery , lidl, aldi, tesco, literally to many to choose from, nothing comes even close with the performance, m5,c63 whatever it is does not matter the end result is the same.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could argue that EVs are being mis-sold IMO they are only good for local journeys ie, 50 mile radius due to lack of a viable quick charging infrastructure. My daughter was considering an EV as a company car when I explained what range anxiety is (she’d never heard of it) she quickly shelved the idea thank goodness, although the alternative plug-in hybrid she’s considering isn’t ideal at least she won’t be stuck at some dud charging point panicking about getting home or worse. As is the case with most political decisions the government are way ahead of the reality curve by introducing tax incentives for company vehicles that don’t currently make sense.
I disagree. My daughter recently bought a Skoda Enyaq. The other weekend she went with our grandson down to Great Yarmouth (from Northampton) for a weekend break and had no issues at all with range or charging. That's 152 miles each way. The only time range becomes more if an issue is where you want to do the trip in one day (and even then she would possibly have made it with only a quick top up).

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I disagree. My daughter recently bought a Skoda Enyaq. The other weekend she went with our grandson down to Great Yarmouth (from Northampton) for a weekend break and had no issues at all with range or charging. That's 152 miles each way. The only time range becomes more if an issue is where you want to do the trip in one day (and even then she would possibly have made it with only a quick top up).
Yep, 300m in an Enyaq is likely to need about 10min top up somewhere on the way there or back, that's all.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
But like many a racing driver does..if needed and its absolutely desperate, one can empty ones bladder whilst driving - admittedly there would be a clean up operation when you get home, or one can pull over and run behind a tree...neither of which options have a EV charger...
That's clutching at straws

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I take your point but she needs to try it in mid-winter at zero degrees and torrential rain, I doubt the range available would even get there

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Taycan EV - VS ICE AMG E53 for Company Car Tax

View attachment 85465

Versus

View attachment 85466

I'm not sure £300-£600 is the "same as" £6000-£7700 (double that for a 40% taxpayer).....

See - the myths still keep coming!

There is so much un-truth being spread at the moment...

I don't want to come over as an EV Evangelist, but I do get peed off when there are SO many lies spread about owning and running one.....
My words were "pays a similar amount for his Taycan (EV) compared to what he paid for his ICE AMG E53 (company car scheme)“.

“pays” not “paid”.

ThIs is not she same as the purchase price.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
If your "planned charge stop" is 20 miles away you'd still have 60m in the battery (cos you'd be daft to run it so close to the edge) and 60m is about 12-13KWH in the battery - or 20hrs of heating........ again not a massive problem.
Do you truly believe that the people driving are mostly not “daft”.

I’ve never said EVs are bad (in fact, I commented that they would be a good solution for me). However I dont wear rose tinted spectales when it comes to owning EV’s.

I’m not convinced the charger location map (Zap map ?) you posted is an accurate reflection of the availability of charge points for an individual. There are dozens of permutations e.g.ac/dc points, hydrogen, private/public, Telsa / others - people speak mainly of long trips being the issue so perhaps only motorway services etc. It would need to be filtered to an individual's specific requirement.

Then there is the fact that the map does not account for the number available points vs number of cars on the road, chargers not working, etc etc - particularly at busy periods.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Nope - There have been numerous independent tests showing that a Tesla will run for about 1-2 miles after it shows it's run out - most EV's are the same.

They usually enter "Turtle Mode" with about 5 miles to go to save power.
So the whole article (by Reuters) is a lie?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
All EVs seem to be on Turtle mode sat at 60mph in the middle lane of the motorways after booting it onto the motorway. The sooner overtaking on the left becomes legal the better.

At least the Subaru WRX drivers do 60mph with lane discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
All EVs seem to be on Turtle mode sat at 60mph in the middle lane of the motorways after booting it onto the motorway. The sooner overtaking on the left becomes legal the better.

Range anxiety can come out in different ways - it must be the EV sweet spot

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
People will take time to accept new technology. People are naturally wary of change. In ten years we will be amazed we were even having this discussion.

The thing is, change is so fast nowadays, it is hard to keep up. I am beginning to sound like my granddad.

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Looks like AMG are considering going back to big bad V8's....(the same I have read for M and RS products in other news)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like AMG are considering going back to big bad V8's....(the same I have read for M and RS products in other news)

Yeh the 4cyl has been slated in the press - and the BMW M3/M4 has kept the noise and drama and the Merc can't really compete with the 4 cyl.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You must drive very different places to me - I've never seen any EV's doing 60 in the middle lane!!

Several old people in ancient small hatchbacks - but never ev's - not at 60 anyhow....

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Yeh the 4cyl has been slated in the press - and the BMW M3/M4 has kept the noise and drama and the Merc can't really compete with the 4 cyl.

Porsche I hear are keeping ICE in the 911 for as long as possible too. So nice to hear as that’s about the only brand I’d probably raise an eye brow to buying when ever I need another car.

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Porsche I hear are keeping ICE in the 911 for as long as possible too. So nice to hear as that’s about the only brand I’d probably raise an eye brow to buying when ever I need another car.

Mercedes AMG considering bringing back V8's
BMW and Audi are expected to follow
Porsche have said there WILL be an EV 911, BUT will continue producing ICE 911's
Ferrari have refused to stop all ICE
Lamborghini will continue to make hybrid ICE until synthetic ICE becomes affordable

I guess as the article states, when it comes to a certain amount of $$, people are buying through passion i.e. with their heart rather than with their head, and they simply want a V8 for that kind of money regardless of how fast an EV may be, they are buying the emotion.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As unbelievable as it may be I agree.

I think / hope there will be a day where V8 ICE are a bit like horses. Cars replaced horses as the main form of longer distance transport - but we still have horses, and people still ride them - but now for fun / leisure etc.

I hope we see a time where we drive Hydrogen or EV for day-to-day motoring - where you just want to get there. And those lucky enough to be able to afford to can bring out their "fun" cars at weekends or when they just want to enjoy the drive even for a fairly short drive.

Things like Aerials, Caterhams and Westfields are a hoot to drive and basically do zero (in the great scheme of things) environmental damage. In reality even a V8 SL driven for 3000m per year will do so little environmental damage its not worth worrying about.

It's the MILLIONS of cars worldwide driven 10-12,000 miles per year that add up and do the damage.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom