Disabling EGR

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Default position is the motor's spring holds the flaps open.
Unplug the plug and insert a 4.7K Ohm resistor between the two of the three wires that aren't brown.
Mine was whining away, suspected the motor's gears were stripped.

Better to take the manifold off and clean it out, gut it and plug the holes.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
when you have done this mod does anything have to be done with the swirl flaps in the manifold?

Short answer is no, unless you have an actual problem with the flaps or servomotor.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
that's a damned fine piece of lateral thinking there. Like keeping medicines out of the reach of children. I actually used way too long bolts with a load of nuts on to make it easier to remove than the screws that were used at the factory. if only I had been thinking sideways.

Well, I had to implement my supposition, as my hand was forced.

My shunt didn't work :(. So I made another, thinking user error... which worked for a day:(, until limping again. Now, mine has a Brabus D6 box, fitted long ago and yet to blow up the engine. A bit of research shows that this tuning box needs the MAF (yellow/white wire's) signal.

Tonight I inserted my 10 mm 'vacuum module spacer', using some longer 6 mm thread set screws.

The spacer was an outer race from a scooter main bearing, found in my boxes of 'handy stuff > potential drifts':D

This mech mod should work. From recent work, I found my limp mode was due to the inlet flap motor gears stripped, since deleted with the 4700 Ohm resistor mod. AND the EGR was seized shut, so it ran great (until I freed it off)

I have another IM with flaps removed and cleaned that I will swap out at some point...

Last edited:

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Ignore my ramblings.
Didn't work, the EGR is smarter than me...

mercman111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 clk 350 petrol
can someone explain in lay mans terms how to check for the signal wire on the maf please

Davey B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 220 cdi 2003
EGR Mod on 2003 S203 220 CDI.

I have had problems with excessive black smoke, hesitation when accelerating through the gears and rough idling for some time. I have had the intake manifold off and fixed the flaps open and fitted a resistor to the circuit. I also cleaned up the EGR valve. This improved things a little but it wasn't until I disconnected the vacuum transducer that the problems went away. That is all except the car going into limp mode.

Did this mod today using the information provided in this forum. Thanks Diesleman for your post. I must stress that it is vital that you do check the current flowing through the wires rather than just take it for granted that all the wiring is the same or similar. The MAF low signal wire on this car is not terminal 5.

The EGR vacuum transducer low signal wire is yellow/black and can be found on the third ECU connector (the first being the one nearest the front. The low signal wire from the MAF is brown/yellowish and can be found in the second connector.

Apart from a little smoke under heavy acceleration, the car runs great. Parts cost £5!

Danuk76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml270
thinking

Got an 2001 ml270 and felt its performance was getting worse and more smoke so planning this mod soon

Bought a 2nd hand drake 2 chip off ebay,,,the smoking then got ridiculous when I floored it,,,, I am talking a massive plume !!! So took that off and changed the air filter which had not been done for 2 years lol, then I had a lot lot less smoke, but still some smoke on acceleration hence trying the mod next

Got to say though had the car 4 years and spent quiet a lot on it

new discs and pads all round and 4 new tyres on purchase,
also needed new battery
then front ball joint went and soon after the other front ball joint went,
then front shocker leaked so replaced as a pair,
then belt tensioner bearing squealed so changed that,
then front pads again lasted 18k
and also I diesel leak near injector
and all the fuel lines replaced on top of engine (caused not to start when less than 1 degree)
thermostat replaced and then several radiator pipes split
and the water reservior tank split so replaced that
did i mention all doors rusting at the bottom, diy lower respray and tidy by me

was looking at a GL in a couple of years but after reading all that back to myself doubt has def set in

andreib18

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200cdi/2001/om611.962
Hello! This is my first post here so greetings! My car is w203 c200cdi om611.962 . I did the egr mode today .. pretty simple job , no problem, no limp .only one question after i did the mod when i let off the gas the turbo is making a strage noise ... something like it spinning (like making boost) it is normal? I only take the connector out from vaccum tranducer .. the two hoses i let them plugged. Idk what could be . Anyway .. the car responds now better from below and i think runs more fluid .. so thanks!

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
will this work on mine?

Ive asked this before but dont seem to get any reply or advice. Will this work on my C220 CDI 2.1 54 plate ? components i got were
1x 1n4004
bc 337 transistor
1k res
1.8k res
22k res
2.7k res

is that right ?

Please confirm somebody. Thanks.

Danuk76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml270
:eek: Completed the mod on 2001 ml270

I used a multimeter to bell out the wires and shaved some insulation of each wire then soldered on.

Was very smokey(embarassing) and now NO smoke, amazed !

At first I did not notice a result, but once I put the original mb maf sensor back on (returned the ebay maf I'd had on a few weeks) and at the same time I disconnected the battery (make sure you have radio code!) the result was instant

Not connected but a week later my starter motor failed (122k) now fixed

Next issue is bas/esp light on, again dont think related at all. Tried lock to lock on steering wheel but no good, going to have it tracked as changed a tyre recently due to edge wearing so will go from there, thanks all who contributed to thread especially the diagrams

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Ive asked this before but dont seem to get any reply or advice. Will this work on my C220 CDI 2.1 54 plate ?

I have this mod fitted for over a year now on my S204 with 646 engine.
No problems.

Umble.

PeterSk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 (125 kW),W210 /2000
Hi all,
I'm new here.can help me someone with my problem with the circuit?I have an E class 270 cdi W210 from year 2000.I have build my circuit but with diode 1N4007 it was me sold as a substitute of 1N4004 diode.I found the wires with meter..It was on the vacum transducer :+12--red/black,low signal--grey/black and on MAF was yelow /white on pin 5.I cut the wires to the vacum transducer and conect on 1K ohm rezistor side of diode circuit on the silver side of diode.The other side of circuit with 470 ohm rezistor was conected on the signal wire from MAF. The car came to an EPC..:-( When I disconect the circuit everything go to normal.Can this doing the other diode?..Or I have mistake on everything else?Please help me

PeterSk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all,
I'm new here.can help me someone with my problem with the circuit?I have an E class 270 cdi W210 from year 2000.I have build my circuit but with diode 1N4007 it was me sold as a substitute of 1N4004 diode.I found the wires with meter..It was on the vacum transducer :+12--red/black,low signal--grey/black and on MAF was yelow /white on pin 5.I cut the wires to the vacum transducer and conect on 1K ohm rezistor side of diode circuit on the silver side of diode.The other side of circuit with 470 ohm rezistor was conected on the signal wire from MAF. The car came to an EPC..:-( When I disconect the circuit everything go to normal.Can this doing the other diode?..Or I have mistake on everything else?Please help me

PeterSk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have this mod fitted for over a year now on my S204 with 646 engine.
No problems.

Umble.

:eek: Completed the mod on 2001 ml270

I used a multimeter to bell out the wires and shaved some insulation of each wire then soldered on.

Was very smokey(embarassing) and now NO smoke, amazed !

At first I did not notice a result, but once I put the original mb maf sensor back on (returned the ebay maf I'd had on a few weeks) and at the same time I disconnected the battery (make sure you have radio code!) the result was instant

Not connected but a week later my starter motor failed (122k) now fixed

Next issue is bas/esp light on, again dont think related at all. Tried lock to lock on steering wheel but no good, going to have it tracked as changed a tyre recently due to edge wearing so will go from there, thanks all who contributed to thread especially the diagrams

Hi the bas/esp light on problem i had in past...The reason was faulty switch at the brake pedal...(I have automat gear)...Best way is the diagnostic...I dont know other way to convince...

Last edited:

Danuk76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml270
UPDATE

Hi the bas/esp light on problem i had in past...The reason was faulty switch at the brake pedal...(I have automat gear)...Best way is the diagnostic...I dont know other way to convince...

Thanks for input, I have read bas/esp light can be foot switch Or steering wheel sensor thanks to this forum

I had a some excess wear on one tyre edge and put this down to all the front end work,,,,,,,,finally took the car for 4 wheel tracking and sure enough the front was a mile out and the rear barely out, they could not track the rear as it needs a special mb tool. Within 30 minutes (ish) of driving the light has gone out and stayed out, hoping the car goes 200k now after all the work i've had done

PeterSk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mod completed.

My problem is caused by another type of diode..I managed to buy previously proposed diode.I used my involvement and described everything works as it should.
I was a bit surprised and disappointed that after all the time found no one to answer to my problem. I hope that my experience with anoder type of diode will be usefull to someone once with similar problems.
And I would also like to express my GREAT THANKS to all manufacturers of this great mod.
I apologize for any mistakes, but my English is not quite perfect. :)

HITECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 SE 13 PLATE
I think this thread should be locked. The problem being its growing and there is usually no feedback or help on it. Its been done to death. I still havent done the mod to mine yet. Was too busy with other things and sorting out a problem with car first. This is getting lost in translation. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

PeterSk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...But there are also useful information and insights witch would be a shame just delete them or lock. It might be worth considering to filter and substantialy reduce this threat. Maintaining any useful information.

xxvoicexx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210/2001/OM612
ML270 CDi:

12v = Pin 37, plug 3
EGR signal = Pin 60, plug 3
MAF signal = Pin 24, plug 4

I think the above will work for all Vacuum transducer type EGR valves, but the connections may vary.

if you try this mod please report back your connections.
if i comprehend correctly, i should build the circuit(like in the photo), then identified the individual wires correctly, the strip the wires insulation and solder the circuit onto it like in the scratched drawing as below ?
j2vSX7m.jpg

how to use the multi-meter to determine the wire is the correct before stripping the wire?
can anyone explain?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom