DPF and driving

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I,m not sure why , maybe I read it but something like - the dpf wont regen until the dpf is 100% full , so going for a fortnightly spin is just going for a drive with no purpose as it wont regen until its full ?
Please feel free to correct me :)
I think you’re right - as has been said before, the car will regen when it wants to not when you try to force it

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There is a pressure sensor fore and aft of the DPF measuring the back pressure which tells the ECU when the filter is full and a forced regen is initiated by a bespoke fuel injector dumping fuel into the exhaust just before the unit hence the intense heat generated under the car, not subtle but it works. If you do enough mileage the DPF is cleaned passively ie, the normal high temperatures in the exhaust burn the soot off the DPF without a forced regen

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Interesting , so your saying it has a 5th injector ?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Fantastic , no more bore wash !

Any technical info ?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Not that technical , 4 pot OM651 5th injector or bore wash fuel dump ?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
No bore wash - fuel is injected directly into the exhaust up stream of the DPF

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Super , good news , technical info / data of 5th injector for OM651 ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
whatcar - long term test insignia 2.0ltr bi turbo tractor... bloke loves the car,

in dec issue 10,700 miles died on first DPF auto regen.... came up on dash, did as he was told, failed to complete, went in to limp mode. dealers can't see it for a week

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
whatcar - long term test insignia 2.0ltr bi turbo tractor... bloke loves the car,

in dec issue 10,700 miles died on first DPF auto regen.... came up on dash, did as he was told, failed to complete, went in to limp mode. dealers can't see it for a week
I was able to run an Insignia 2.0 with DPF for four years without any problems, the car was mainly used for town driving for the last 2 years.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
tractor fuel - why you need those additives

Removal of sulphur from diesel fuel has reduced lubricity, its creating premature wear of fuel pumps and injectors. We need to add back lubricity additives that are compatible with modern engines, oils, and emissions control systems.

A high biodiesel content (up to 7%) increases water content, allowing bugs to grow, hastening corrosion and, promoting waxing. Additives containing demulsifiers, biocides, detergents, and anti-waxing agents are needed.

Imported, poorly refined fuel and long storage times, means a lot of fuel doesn't meet the minimum specification. This rubbish is impacting the longevity of the engine and its injection systems and needs effective detergents, chemical stabilisers and antioxidants

Higher and higher fuel injection pressures & temperatures create damaging varnish & lacquer deposits in as little as 1000 miles
which will lead to injector failure if you use cheap fuels

Complex exhaust aftertreatment systems can't cope with city driving and short trips, it blocks DPFs and ERGs. High quality detergent chemistry reduces the damage.

Modern engine control systems adjust to the quality of the fuel. Cheap fuel automatically lowers the efficiency, resulting in lower fuel economy and reduced performance

Latest tractor emission standards, means ambient filth from other tractors needs to be treated requiring new additives

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
tractor fuel - why you need those additives

Removal of sulphur from diesel fuel has reduced lubricity, its creating premature wear of fuel pumps and injectors. We need to add back lubricity additives that are compatible with modern engines, oils, and emissions control systems.

A high biodiesel content (up to 7%) increases water content, allowing bugs to grow, hastening corrosion and, promoting waxing. Additives containing demulsifiers, biocides, detergents, and anti-waxing agents are needed.

Imported, poorly refined fuel and long storage times, means a lot of fuel doesn't meet the minimum specification. This rubbish is impacting the longevity of the engine and its injection systems and needs effective detergents, chemical stabilisers and antioxidants

Higher and higher fuel injection pressures & temperatures create damaging varnish & lacquer deposits in as little as 1000 miles
which will lead to injector failure if you use cheap fuels

Complex exhaust aftertreatment systems can't cope with city driving and short trips, it blocks DPFs and ERGs. High quality detergent chemistry reduces the damage.

Modern engine control systems adjust to the quality of the fuel. Cheap fuel automatically lowers the efficiency, resulting in lower fuel economy and reduced performance

Latest tractor emission standards, means ambient filth from other tractors needs to be treated requiring new additives
I’m glad I’ve gone back to petrol!

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
I'd just cane it as much as I could. Gets the exhaust temperature up.

OP
Ravs1988

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C Class Coupe AMG Sport BlueEfficiency 2011 C220cdi
Hi,

I have my 2011 C220 CDI for almost 3 years and the 2011 E220 CDI for 2 years. Most of the driving is in heavy traffic commuting with the odd long run thrown in.
During my time of ownership I have never made any special attempt to clean the DPF by driving hard or increasing the revs intentionally.
I check the soot and ash content using the iCarsoft i980 and can see the levels increasing up to just over 100% and then reduced down the next time I check without me doing anything special.
I have noticed a burning smell and the exhaust tip was hot to the touch when I stopped once or twice but that was after a low speed commute of about 10 miles.

Is there a possibility you can take a picture of this ..of readings you are getting from the icarsoft i980 tool? I'm thinking of purchasing one specifically to monitor the levels and would be good to see a pic before hand?

Thanks in advance.

allybassman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 Estate
Just to follow on from this, my c350 just regens when it fancies it. If i'm honest i've never had a regen while on the motorway, it's always started when at low speeds. Just drive it normally, the ECU will handle the regen. I wince when I read people's comments saying they drive in low gears and high speed etc to get things nice and hot, my argument would be that it could stop a regen from happening due to temps being too high for regen to happen.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just to follow on from this, my c350 just regens when it fancies it. If i'm honest i've never had a regen while on the motorway, it's always started when at low speeds. Just drive it normally, the ECU will handle the regen. I wince when I read people's comments saying they drive in low gears and high speed etc to get things nice and hot, my argument would be that it could stop a regen from happening due to temps being too high for regen to happen.
Totally agree ;)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

My understanding of the DPF system is that you don’t need the regeneration to occur if you do drive long distances the heat build up is sufficient to burn off soot that accumulates, this is known as passive cleaning. Alternately if you do a lot of short journeys a forced regeneration is required circa every 3/400 miles, additional fuel is injected into the exhaust upstream of the DPF to achieve this

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

it can only regen by getting much hotter than normal, if its regen frequently, then your day to day driving is to slow, too short and too cold

they actually pump additional fuel in the DPF to get it red hot

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Are these bore wash jobs or best method extra injector post engine ?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom