E270cdi gearbox damage - radiator coolant contamination.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
keeping on topic (just), two questions...

1. what year did the glycol problems start?

2. what year did MB change to long life (15yrs) coolant?

if i am right, the two coincide...

The glycol issue start with the start of production up to 30-09-03 so all possibly affected for thos fitted with a Valeo rad.

So the 203,209 and 211 from the start of production

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
I've got to say that I am amazed that a firm like Merc is doing this to so many owners.

To top it all, my friend has an E320 CDi that has always been serviced by Merc Main Dealers and have never mentioned any possible checks or replacments that should be done - Just In Case.

His car has just broken down, and Merc have charged him £4000 !!!! for the full repair. As yet do not know the full info, but no offer of any contribution or explaination.

Just a FAT BILL !!

Not right ... surely.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got to say that I am amazed that a firm like Merc is doing this to so many owners.

To top it all, my friend has an E320 CDi that has always been serviced by Merc Main Dealers and have never mentioned any possible checks or replacments that should be done - Just In Case.

His car has just broken down, and Merc have charged him £4000 !!!! for the full repair. As yet do not know the full info, but no offer of any contribution or explaination.

Just a FAT BILL !!

Not right ... surely.

What have they done to the car

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Malcolm,

I am not sure yet, should be seeing him this weekend.

The only information I have is second hand at the moment, but I am informed it was for a new Gearbox and rasiator. I suspect a TC was also replaced with a total of £4000 - so I am informed.

As soon as I have the full picture I will let you know, although I will be telling him to speak with Merc for some form of contribution and possibly go to Trading Standards ??

I take it the ML is not effected, or I will have to get mine checked out.

Richard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm,

I am not sure yet, should be seeing him this weekend.

The only information I have is second hand at the moment, but I am informed it was for a new Gearbox and rasiator. I suspect a TC was also replaced with a total of £4000 - so I am informed.

As soon as I have the full picture I will let you know, although I will be telling him to speak with Merc for some form of contribution and possibly go to Trading Standards ??

I take it the ML is not effected, or I will have to get mine checked out.

Richard

Thanks Richard,, no, the 163 is not on the list or affected

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi,

Well i have bitten the bullit and had my radiator replaced, it was a valeo made 24/03/03 RA1041 (848940VH) it did have the valeo sticker on it along with the embosed Mercedes Logo.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

Well i have bitten the bullit and had my radiator replaced, it was a valeo made 24/03/03 RA1041 (848940VH) it did have the valeo sticker on it along with the embosed Mercedes Logo.

Why not,, they are a good car other than this and you can now plan on keeping it and sleeping at the same time

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Valeo Radiator Problems

Hi,

Well i have bitten the bullet and had my radiator replaced, it was a valeo made 24/03/03 RA1041 (848940VH) it did have the valeo sticker on it along with the embossed Mercedes Logo.

It looks like mine had not failed yet, (hopefully) the crimps were still nice and clean, i suppose the only doubt i have is that my Indy fitted a valeo again, he did say he thought it was well made.

Come to think of it Mercedes Nottingham were going to fit a valeo as well, my Indy was concerned that all the pipe work and screw holes fitted exactly and they did, that's why he chose the valeo, you cannot see its been of, apparently you have to take the bumper of to tip the rad and oil cooler back to remove from the front. So to end i hope after 7 years that valeo have now found out how to stop the glycol leaking, if not i am stuffed, its been a long time since i have had a good nights sleep. The new rad is 732849 (792756J) and both rads are made in Poland

Koopa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI W203 2004
Checked my C200 CDI and looks like it has the Valeo rad, I dont have any probs with it but was wondering if the general consensus is to replace before it fails? many folks out there proactively changing radiators to avoid this issue??

cheers.

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
E270cdi gearbox damage - radiator coolant contamination

Hi Koopa,

After agonising on mine for several weeks, i decided it was a no brainer
if i did not want to fork out up to £6,000 on a replacement torque converter and gearbox.

I e-mailed Valeo on Sunday to ask if the problem had been solved,
and today i received there answer.
They said the problem a few years ago had now been rectified, and that aftermarket fit radiators with my new part number is not affected, that has put my mind at ease.

Koopa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI W203 2004
thanks David,

How much does the radiator cost to buy? would it be a big job replacing, I have a local indy whos done loads of work for me in the past, if this is relatively straight forward might give it some serious consideration.

Thanks,
Gordon

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi Gordon,

Not had the bill yet, Radiator around £220.00 plus labour so i am hoping around £450.00, a bit different to the £1,200 Mercedes Nottingham wanted.

When i get the bill i will post it on line, my Indy has done a magnificent job cant tell its been touched,:D Mercedes quote 2.5 hours for the job

Koopa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI W203 2004
perfect, thanks David.

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
I e-mailed Valeo on Sunday to ask if the problem had been solved,
and today i received there answer.
They said the problem a few years ago had now been rectified, and that aftermarket fit radiators with my new part number is not affected, that has put my mind at ease.

David, - Keep that reply to hand. If it does ever fail you can take them to the cleaners!

Chris.

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi Chris,

You can bet your life its safe, i would love to know how much they had to pay Mercedes for the faulty ones, but how many like me have changed them as a precaution.;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If that's the case Malcolm they have deeper pockets than mine

I think David that some have different idea's on cars,,I tend now to run them for years, and take preventive measures,, others just seem to change when something goes wrong

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi
Arrrgh Valeo!

I have a Valeo radiator on mine.

My "build date" is borderline as it is a few days after the date that Mercedes apparently rectified the problem.

Aparently after 30/09/2010 they modified the radiator and put a white spot on the oil cooler so that you know that it is the modified version.

Does anyone in the north west know how to CORRECTLY identify the radiator modified or not?

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Aparently after 30/09/2010 they modified the radiator and put a white spot on the oil cooler so that you know that it is the modified version.

Does anyone in the north west know how to CORRECTLY identify the radiator modified or not?[/QUOTE]

Do you have a white spot on your cooler?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom