ESP - steering Angle Sensor

denmerc

Reaction score
Hi there folks,
My fathers C200 CDi (2005) has an error code (ESP fault is flashing on the readout when u start the car). Cruise control wont work as a result and this is really annoying for him. This only appeared after he was at a tyre place getting 1 new tyre (front rhs) - they did the "tracking" for him also.

I got him to visit a backstreet mechanic with diagnostic equip, and the report I got back was of 2 fault codes i.e. 1) Steering Angle Sensor - Intermittent Fault & 2) Steering Column Module Unit. Obviously it must be related to what “tracking” the tyre place did, & from info on the forum it wud appear that the guy prob moved the steering wheel / road wheel position (track rod?) and this has now caused the fault codes

So, is there any point in goin back to tyre place and getting them to undo what they did – presume they will try something like “for proper alignment this is the position the road wheel and steering wheel must be in”. And even if they reset it to its prev position, will the code clear?

Im afraid we will prob have to bite the bullet and go to a main dealer…… If anybody has similar exp or suggestions, we would be v.grateful
Den:)

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi well if he has moved the steering wheel he has probley broken steering angle sensor.what you need to do know is take it to someone with star machine or merc dealer to read esp put steering wheel back in stright postion ( 0) then do the tracking again.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Try turning the steering wheel full left lock to full right lock a couple of times. This may clear the error.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Maybe the wrong size tyre fitted

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
does the steering wheel point straight ahead when driving in a straight line? if so then perhaps the wheel has been turned, but the angle sensor can be damaged like this as has been said. i suggest you seek out an independent with star for further analysis, it may be a very quick visit and not cost too much!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I would check the simple solution first check the front tryes have the same/correct profile and that the tyre pressures are correct.
I would even try fitting the spare in the place of the wheel with the new tyre (if it is,nt a space saver).
On a personnal note knowing how sensitive MB's are too wheel geometry i would never use anyone for tracking that could,nt measure the camber/castor.

lady

Reaction score
Hi had same problems and it was due to a loose back light cluster!!!! Worth a try

OP
D

denmerc

Reaction score
Thanks ppl for all replies. i have checked the small things as suggested but its made no difference. wud be great if i could get a cheapo diag code reader but as far as im aware there is nothing on the market yet?
Cheers
Den:)

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The most likely reason (imo) is that the guy has 'tracked' the steering by only adjusting one track rod end rather than by adjusting both sides equally, that would cause the steering angle sensor to be off centre and throw up a fault code.

Another thing to check is that the new tyre is the same running radius and pressure) as the others (as television suggested)

Basically, (as long as the steering wheel has not been removed and re-centered from its original position)..........the tracking needs to be carried out by adjusting each track rod equally while the steering wheel is held (locked) in the dead straight ahead position.

ps............i would say it's extremely unlikely (if not impossible) that the steering angle sensor could be damaged by adjustment of the tracking, it's usually damaged during incorrect removal of the steering column

Last edited:
OP
D

denmerc

Reaction score
Thanks Panason1c, that's along the lines of what i was thinking.... now though my father brought it to main dealer today & they told him new st angle sensor was required...he paid 85€ to find this out, and the part is over 300... so he gave them a deposit of 300 (in addition) for them to order it.

I am really annoyed but i cant take time off work to get to the bottom of this.. if i had a code reader maybe i cud go back to the tyre place & try to re-set the st wheel etc so that the fault wasnt showing, but without seeing the fault codes this would be impossible really...
Cheers
Den
:(

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Thanks Panason1c, that's along the lines of what i was thinking.... now though my father brought it to main dealer today & they told him new st angle sensor was required...he paid 85€ to find this out, and the part is over 300... so he gave them a deposit of 300 (in addition) for them to order it.

I am really annoyed but i cant take time off work to get to the bottom of this.. if i had a code reader maybe i cud go back to the tyre place & try to re-set the st wheel etc so that the fault wasnt showing, but without seeing the fault codes this would be impossible really...
Cheers
Den
:(

Hi, Has your father explained the circumstances of the light coming on to the MB dealer?............perhaps if he does then the dealer will check out the steering geometry (tracking) first before fitting the sensor.

Armani.X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c class 220 / W204
Hi Denmerc,

When your fathers car replace the Steering Angle Sensor, did all the problem with the ESP warning sort out?

Last edited:

Marksvk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes benz Vito 2016 w447
Hey guys new member here . I am really struggeling with replacing this mentioned part on my Vito but... there is 2 models for replacement with two different connectors and nobody and beleive me nobody is able to tell me which one ist the correct one... i am bit desperate cuz i wont be able check it by my own but there must be some guide of right connector

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201125-084021_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201125-084021_Chrome.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 10

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Are you changing the steering wheel angle sensor?
Where is the car?
The connector must be the same as the one on the old one. Can you put up 2 pictures, one of the connector on the sensor and one of where it is pushed on.

Marksvk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes i am at least trying change that sh...t... but unfortunately you didnt get my point i couldnt reach to see which connector is there the version with cable or the other with the orange plug/connector on its own... the car is in Netherland... i am trying to get an answer from mercedes benz customer support because i am pretty sure they can recognised my model year or manufacture or something by vin number to tell me which of those two connectors is correct..

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Why are you trying to change it?
Have you got the airbag off yet?

Marksvk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dunno if i am speaking different language here or whats going on here...
1. I have to find out the connector type
2. Have to order it from some spare part eshop
3. Have to bring to the garage
4. Change it and make my esp glorius again

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Maybe you are speaking double Dutch.
Anyway go to a dealer for the part with VIN. You will get the right part and it will be better than some patten part.

ps why don't the garage order it. Have you had the codes read to help diagnose determine offending part.

Marksvk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was in dealer... they maded diagnosis on my car they gaved me codes but has been told me they dont know what type of connector is fitting there... paid 200 euro just for paper with vodes came out pc... i am in touch with customer service they also dont know... my mechanic guy also doesnt know... i am using my car daily for work traveling more then 200 km a day cant let the car there fpr removing steering wheel check whats under and let work on it another day... i need to order right part make it change in same day. If i will not find solution here i will order both of those and see which one is fitting... the thing is the febi part is half german half polish company working on german spare parts so instead of paying for exactly same part from mercedes like 300 euro this is 50 euro for same part same quallity just with other logo on the box... i am not working in office i do hard wood work so spending like 250 euro extra for this and another 200 in mercedes dealer for.montage is no sense...

Marksvk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mioba the pc diagnosis doesnt show up the type of connector used on this part man... you can have diagnosis for 1 milion but if you dont know what to do afterwards your not mechanic but maybe farmer...

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom