1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone had OM642 oil cooler leak repair paid by WarrantyWise?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by such, Nov 24, 2018.

1. such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 Eclass 350 CDI Sport 2012
    When I took out my policy with warantywise in Dec 2016, I specifically asked about this problem and was told the seals may not be covered, but the work replacing them would.

Based on this information I took out an 08/80 plan as the car was over 4 years old but had 67k miles on. It's currently on 115k.
    The policy book states the following cover re oil seals:

OIL SEALS
    Engine and gearbox oil seals causing a major oil leak (dripping oil) and necessitating immediate replacement, where removal of the unit is essential (excludes worn collars and shafts).

When my mileage approached 100k, I called them and asked what difference is made to the level of cover and was told the failure of any part due to wear and tear is not covered above 100k, but the level of cover is the same. I decided to continue with the policy based on this.

Now, I am anticipating a rejected claim, but I would like to check if anyone has had this repair paid by Warrantywise so I can use this info, if required.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    The oil seals cost £4 . Are you saying they will cover the labour ?

3. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    that's what they told me when taking out the policy

4. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    Viton Seals x2 Pn:6421880180 bit chunkier than old ones.

If they are covering the labour you have had a result.

5. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Well you may be £4 out of pocket :D

6. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    i'm hoping they will......

7. Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mainly Mercedes
    Hmm. This might come down to their definition of an oil seal. Their wording suggests an oil seal keeps oil in the engine against a rotating component. ie. Crankshaft or camshaft seals. I worry that under their definition the oil cooler seals may in fact be a gasket. Do they mention gaskets at all in their wording?

8. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I think gaskets are generally excluded except for head gasket

9. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    I read this as: It's only covered if we have to remove the engine (unit). They may argue that oil cooler seals are not part of the engine...

Let's see what they say.

10. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
  11. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    This very thread you created may assist the demise your claim according to WarrantyWise.

Parts Excluded
    1. Any service parts periodically replaced during the manufacturer's recommended servicing of the Vehicle unless any such items are (at our discretion) authorised within the costs of a valid repair providing the Vehicle is not within 1,000 miles or 30 days of its next scheduled service.
    2. All non-mechanical and non-electrical Parts.
    3. Any Part or Addition particularly excluded from or not specifically included within Your Plan.
    4. Any Part that has not suffered a Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear (as defined).
    5. Worn Out Parts.
    6. The repair or replacement of any Part not authorized by us.
    7. The repair or replacement of any Part where you (or your Repairer) have denied us the right to have that Part examined by an Independent Vehicle Examiner.
    8. The replacement of any camshaft timing belt, tensioner or any associated Repair Cost where it cannot be shown within the Vehicle's service record that the correct servicing of the camshaft belt and tensioner has been carried out previously.
    9. Any Part that has not suffered a Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear (as defined) but which is recommended for replacement by your Repairer.
    10. Any Part noted as requiring attention on any previous MoT Advisory Notice accompanying a DVSA MoT Certificate (VT20).
    11. Any Part noted as requiring attention on any previous servicing schedule or health check.
    12. Any items fitted to your Vehicle after the date of manufacture such as: roof racks, cycle carriers, tow bars, ladders, stabilizers and towing equipment etc (not a complete list).
    13. Any Part which has been in any way modified and is not to the manufacturer's approved specification or any Part damaged due to it being forced or operated incorrectly.
    14. Any Parts which are rusty, corroded or seized-up (such as catalytic convertors), Parts blocked up with carbon (such as EGR valves and DPF filters). Parts which have suffered Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear due to flooding or water ingress, de-lamination, condensation, freezing, burning, melting; a lack of or incorrect coolant, lubricant or fuel; blockage due to swarf or sludge; Parts which are electrically overloaded due to incorrect use of welding, starting or charging equipment; any fuel, fluid, coolant or oil leak not specifically included within Your Plan.
    15. The Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear of a Part of your Vehicle with inherent, common and regularly occurring manufacturing faults which were well publicized (such as Google Internet search) at the date you purchased this Plan together with any Part requiring replacement due to it being up-dated, superseded, re-designed or recalled by the manufacturer where you have no proof that the Part has been previously replaced.
    16. Any Part which has suffered a Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear due to a lack of or incorrect servicing, oil or coolant leak, negligence, neglect, misuse, broken by your Repairer, criminal damage, theft or attempted theft, accident or any Part not reported at the time of repair by your Repairer.
    17. Any Part which within the last 12 months has been the subject of a previous repair, attempted repair or documented as advised in need of repair.
    18. Parts covered by any other plan, warranty, guarantee or goodwill offer of settlement.

12. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Looks like nothing is covered

13. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1. The Breakdown or Failure Due to Wear and Tear of a Part of your Vehicle with inherent, common and regularly occurring manufacturing faults which were well publicized (such as Google Internet search) at the date you purchased this Plan together with any Part requiring replacement due to it being up-dated, superseded, re-designed or recalled by the manufacturer where you have no proof that the Part has been previously replaced.
    As far as I know, the part in question was modified sometime in 2010 to address the leaking issues. My vehicle being 2012 should not suffer with this issue due to the upgraded seals.
    The fact that I was told it would be covered at the time of sale should hopefully help.

14. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Good luck with the claim, either way it will be interesting to see whether the seals fitted during manufacture were the <2010 orange seals or the >2010 upgraded purple Viton seals which should be fitted to your 12 plate car. If the orange seals were fitted you may have a claim on MB.

15. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I thought the seal changeover was some time in 2012 .

16. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    thanks Malcolm - I assuming the claim against MB would only work if it was repaired at a dealership?

17. OP
    such

such Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    just checked my oil and the flaming red cap on the dipstick broke off! Had to push the dipstick in leaving some out so I could pull it out. It's just above the min mark. Now the dipstick is right in and I cannot get it out without the help of long nose pliers!
    I'll do it in the morning now.....
    How much is required to fill to max?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  18. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

The usual hurdles no doubt, full history etc, but you may get some goodwill. Mercland noted at the last service that the oil cooler seals on my 12 plate 350cdi are probably leaking at 70k miles, time will tell as it might turn out to be the turbo inlet seal (he says hopefully)

There is some confusion regarding when the Viton seals were fitted in the U.K. as opposed to the US where it appears to be 2010, so it’s quite possible 11/12 plate cars were fitted with the orange seals here. It would be helpful if someone knew the engine number at change over.

I can see why the oil cooler was placed in the vee as it’s quite a neat design but the inaccessibility has turned out to be the Achilles heel of OM642 unfortunately hitting owners with an unwarranted large bill and so much of the plumbing has to removed with the potential for creating other problems

19. Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mainly Mercedes
    I have found Mercedes to be consistent in using up their old stock before moving to improved parts. A prime example is the troublesome coolant outlet, the one that also holds the fuel filter on om651 engines. I have removed dozens of the old two bolt flange items to replace with the improved three bolt design. They were still fitting the two bolt items at the factory to the cylinder heads which were already the improved version with the extra bolt hole already there.

malcolm210 and Wighty like this.
  20. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    That's why we have lower parts costs than other manufacturers :rolleyes: