Hello - Potential Owner

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Apologies for the constant questions, but I was hoping you'd be able to help me again...

Having only seen a few ads listing folding rear seats I'm not sure if they're rare, or relatively common but people don't list them? If the latter is there an easy way to spot them?

e.g. the first ad states folding seats, the second doesn't but both sets of rear seats look alike to me:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605103818114
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608146792640

The first car also hasn't had a service in 19,000 miles - but I've seen that intervals can vary, so is it likely that it will need a service and one is long overdue?

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
I went to have a look at a few cars today, just ones nearby to get a look at some actual cars.

E320 CDI Sport
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504283005077

Very nice car, bit more than I'd want to pay though - also had a clumsily repaired tear in the driver's seat.

E280 Avantgarde
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606074687497
Looked in decent nick, immaculate inside, possibly had the rear bumper resprayed at some point (I'm not an expert).

E220 CDI Avantgarde
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606225152712
Complete contrast, interior wise, to car above (1 owner v 5 I guess!), quite liked the colour though. Also had pretty poor fitment of rear bumper near the back wheel so possible rear end damage again.

All in all the day made me want one more than before.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I went to have a look at a few cars today, just ones nearby to get a look at some actual cars.

E320 CDI Sport
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504283005077

Very nice car, bit more than I'd want to pay though - also had a clumsily repaired tear in the driver's seat.

E280 Avantgarde
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606074687497
Looked in decent nick, immaculate inside, possibly had the rear bumper resprayed at some point (I'm not an expert).

E220 CDI Avantgarde
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606225152712
Complete contrast, interior wise, to car above (1 owner v 5 I guess!), quite liked the colour though. Also had pretty poor fitment of rear bumper near the back wheel so possible rear end damage again.

All in all the day made me want one more than before.

First one would be my pick...

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
And mine!

Bit more than I wanted to pay though although, having copied the link to the forum, it seems like the advert was created in April last year, so possibly a deal to be done :confused:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You never know til you try...

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
And mine!

Bit more than I wanted to pay though although, having copied the link to the forum, it seems like the advert was created in April last year, so possibly a deal to be done :confused:

Speak to Jay at Mercland.com at Nuneaton.He is a most trusted Indy on this forum.

Regards
John

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
I've had a look at Mercland and they had nothing in my price range at the moment - do you think it's worth giving them a bell anyway?

My dad is obviously an enabler as he's stopped telling me to buy a sensible car and found this one:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608196947456

Which, although it's more than I want to pay, at least looks in very good nice, has low mileage etc.

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
I went to see the above tonight and took it for a test drive.

Good Points:
Loved the car, steering had a good weight, didn't feel too high, wife has stopped thinking I've gone insane and liked the car too. Generally just felt a really nice place to be.

Bad Points:
Lack of toys
Condition not as good as it looked - nothing major, but just felt it didn't justify the top price.
It had loads of invoices, but no service book. As far as I could tell it hadn't had C service (only 49k miles) so would probably need one soon?

Going to look at the following tomorrow:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510288230528
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607316363936
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608206990174
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608066562762

And this on Monday (it's very close to the office):
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608126735411

(Not sure I like the newer models as much, especially the interior but thought I'd take a look).

Before grabbing an iCarsoft and looking further afield - is the MB II worth the extra £40 over the i980? (cheapest I've found it is £125).

In other news a generous grand parent has chucked in a little cash towards the car, and I've found out some mods and accessories for my MR2 are worth at least as much, if not more, than the car itself - making me a little more relaxed about spending a little more, if need be.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Some nice ones there
I think you're at the stage where you really need to define what you want and your new budget
Engine? For me I'd hold out for the 350 it's quite superb
Estate / Saloon?
Toys? What's essential for you?
Condition/mileage
History
Colour? The one you're looking at Monday for instance is hideous IMO but that's personal!
I know , granny and sucking eggs but sometime you'll have to jump in....

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
I'm not sure on the blue colour myself, but I wanted to have a look at some of newer interiors (it has the wood pack) - from the photos I prefer the previous interior. I figured the best way to tell is to see some in the flesh. I figure having seen a few I can decide whether to look at the newer ones or stick with the older ones I've been looking at.

Previously I'd narrowed it down to:

E320 CDI Sport or Avantgarde (possibly a 280CDI too)

Saloon in Black or Silver (or the dark metallic grey in between).

Toys wise, my current car has none so I find it hard to think of anything as essential, save for some form of parking sensors as I'm used to a much smaller car - I've also been looking for COMAND because I've heard it's worth having.
My wife would prefer heated seats, and folding rears would be a bonus too.

I'm hoping for something in good condition, without ridiculous miles and with a full service history.

It's not really teaching a granny to suck eggs either - the more I look the more I realise how little I know about buying cars!

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I`d still speak with Jay at Mercland BEFORE you come to any decision Paul.
Tell him exactly what you want and how much you are prepared to spend.
I have no connection with him, but he is a valued and trusted Indy.
Regards.
John

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
I might pop across tomorrow, it's only 20 mins away, have a look at the above and have a chat about my requirements. I'm not a big fan of the interior colour of that particular example, but maybe it would grow on me!

I've not had much luck today - the black 320 was OK, but on taking it for a drive I found it in limp mode. Also only had a couple of MB services and the rest random garages and none in the last 2 years.

Silver 320 was overdue a C service, had a flat tyre and ill fitting rear bumper, and a few dings, and very short on service paperwork.

The new shape SE didn't do a lot for me either - other than confirming I love dark metallic grey cars. Having said that it's probably not a fair comparison between older Sport/Avantgarde interiors and an SE interior.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don't think you will be disappointed Jay selects and prepares his cars well plus you have the added benefit of a good Independent with warranty to look after it. The 212 is gaining a good reputation in the trade and the V6 diesel is a strong engine good for 200k + miles.

I would think you would soon get used to the leather and it makes a good contrast with the black exterior.

pitch1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Morris 1800S, Volvo 740, Triumph 2000/2500PI
Buying a Merc

1/ Having decided n a Merc definey Needs..2,4 0r5 seater,Speed/performance,saloon/cabriolet/estate. petrol/diesel will it fit the garage if you have one and so on.

List in order of importance to YOU

2/ Decide on Wants... Navigation.seats and other "extras" colour etc

List in order of importance to YOU.

3/ search! Remember a good car is worth its money, the only problem being that you will not know if it is a good one till you get rid of it!!

YOU appear to be doing all the right things so far so well done.

Do not know your budget but my advice would be a 320 CDI engined vehicle for performance, a 220CDI for economy. I have found the diesel engines more reliable than the petrol ones. But avoid the OM651 I think it is with the single timing chain. And the lower the mileage the better. History?

Gearbox? I have no experience of Merc manual boxes, Automatics to 2006 had known problems apparently after some 80k miles..expensive but I love them.

So good luck, try them, find one you like, assess the honesty of the seller check the warranty, and if you can buy from a main dealer, more expensive I know but in my experience well worth it and at 80 y o I can say I have bought some brilliant cars and I have bought some CxxP in my time.

Let us all know how it ends up.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I don't think you will be disappointed Jay selects and prepares his cars well plus you have the added benefit of a good Independent with warranty to look after it. The 212 is gaining a good reputation in the trade and the V6 diesel is a strong engine good for 200k + miles.

I would think you would soon get used to the leather and it makes a good contrast with the black exterior.

That looks a cracking find Malcolm
I assume they put a false plate on for security reasons ? Doesn't correspond to the car...
That aside if I was in the market I'd have that, decent price decent spec right colour ....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
That looks a cracking find Malcolm
I assume they put a false plate on for security reasons ? Doesn't correspond to the car...
That aside if I was in the market I'd have that, decent price decent spec right colour ....

I think so John, looks a well cared example and the 212 platform and 350 diesel engine are proving a durable combination. I'm of the opinion that the 642 engine is one of the best out there mainly because it's had a long service/development period of 10+ years

Jay provides a good service and is local to the OP so it could suit very well

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi Paul, go on treat yourself you wont regret it;) and yes, kids will keep you poor, I have 7 and will probably have to keep working till I keel over, not just yet though I hope !

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
You're all bad influences! :lol:

I know one thing for certain - that E350cdi, with 2 year warranty, is a lot better value than the "sensible" cars I was looking at previously.

Half of me thinks the sensible option would be to negotiate a deal on the car I saw yesterday - it would do the job, has been well maintained, < 50k miles etc.

The other half then says it's not a 320 and it doesn't have many extras.

The sensible(?) half then responds "You can always get it remapped".

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Have a test drive in it Paul you won't regret it.

Spec is everything on these cars it does make them a special place to be.

The 350CDi is an impressive engine, I thought the IL6 W210 engine was a hard act to follow but this V6 is as quiet and refined as most petrol engines and spends most of it's life between 1000-2000rpm in everyday use so probably a clue there to it's longetivity.

At £10K with the warranty that's a lot of car for the money:D

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom