P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
That looks a very nice example!

Similar to the one I looked at on Friday - but likely in better condition:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609037393527

(not much wrong with the above, a chip in the paint and a few bits of dirt on the roof lining).

It brings a question to my mind though - would the extra age of 2007 put you off, or is condition king?

I've also seen this one, which looks exactly what I want:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608297241240

(At least I think the colour is - not sure the photos are that flattering

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Both have potential, reg 09, bodywork looks good, full leather, satnav etc.

Only issue is with the private seller and no warranty so give that car a thorough checking over and test drive, does look right though and very well cared for.

I had a look at what's on offer on Autotrader last night and you are quite lucky there are about 6 or so that are worth looking at distance being the only issue.

Good luck!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Only issue is with the private seller and no warranty so give that car a thorough checking over and test drive, does look right though and very well cared for.

I bought mine off a private seller, did some research into the car and called the local MB dealer that was looking after it, they confirmed everything and that all recalls had been done, no issues at all, I also did an HPI just to be sure.

Paul, have you considered a 250CGi petrol car, depending on your yearly mileage it could be a good option, my father has a C250CGi estate and loves it

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Both have potential, reg 09, bodywork looks good, full leather, satnav etc.

I had a look at what's on offer on Autotrader last night and you are quite lucky there are about 6 or so that are worth looking at distance being the only issue.

Good luck!

The private car is in less good nick than it looks, nothing majorly wrong, just not quite as good as it looked in the pics. I think it also has aftermarket parking sensors and possibly heated seats. Guy is looking to get a C class, so presumably he's put it up for a grand more than trade in to see if he can get any takers. It's the one I was thinking of remapping - but thought I could probably find something with a better spec.

The other 09 plate is interesting me... I did a little digging today and found out a few things, some good, some maybe bad.

3 Owners
6 X MB services, 1 random garage (3 x MB Canterbury, 1 x random garage, 3 x MB Epsom). (looking at this pattern I'd guess 2 'owners' and 1 'trade' - maybe ex demo?)
MB Epsom sent it to auction Sept 1 as a trade in.
Vendor only told me about 1 of the Epsom services - not sure if that means documentation missing, or he's looking in the wrong place (was only on the phone). Would missing docs be an issue if it's all on MB's system?

It's Artico rather than leather (which may be more practical with kids?), and also has a 6 CD changer I reckon.

Edit: I've seen rather nice car in Lisburn, which rather stretched my belief that I'd travel anywhere for the right car!

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Very interesting feedback Paul you are doing the right thing boring into the detail they are complex cars and don't take kindly to being neglected. There are enough 211s coming onto the market currently to be picky so take your time. I would expect quite a few will have been auctioned off by MB as they come in as part exchange, they will have FMBSH and probably the better buy, far too many 212s in the network for them to sell 211s.

Have you got a link to the Lisburn car?

Ps Artico is not as durable as leather so I would go with the latter

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I bet they couldn't be persuaded to sell one instead, either. :confused:

Interesting point it might be worth ringing your local MB franchises if you've got the constitution for it:(

The NI car looks nice but.... It's a long trek to be disappointed. I would need to be utterly convinced on the phone to proceed

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Interesting point it might be worth ringing your local MB franchises if you've got the constitution for it:(

The NI car looks nice but.... It's a long trek to be disappointed. I would need to be utterly convinced on the phone to proceed

MOT History check of a NI car is difficult if not impossible to obtain.
There was a thread on this some years ago and RENAULT21 (CAIRIAN?) WRAPPED IT UP BY SAYING, THERE WAS NO HISTORY AVAILABLE IN NI AS CARS EITHER PASSED OR FAILED.
Paul needs to examine whatever information is available via the Dealer very carefully. On the face of it it seems a nice vehicle.

Regards
John

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class

I saw an early 212 with 20k miles on the MB used site with POA next to it - thought I'd give the dealer a bell and see if they'd want to sell it to me. They took my details and would give me a call back. They've since priced it up at 14k and haven't called me back.

I can't imagine I'd get any more joy with one they were going to bung down the auctions... Having said that - who dares wins, it's only a waste of free minutes and my lunch hour!

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class

At the minute I'm not sure a dealer could convince me to take a 5 minute drive, let alone a flight or a ferry!

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Ps Artico is not as durable as leather so I would go with the latter

:mad:

I googled Artico and found a thread on here singing it's praises ("all the german taxis have it"), looked at the photos and thought it was all in good nick, which seemed to agree...

Read your comment and used the search box and find everyone calling it rubbish.

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I did see that one Paul but didn't think you were looking for a big petrol and early seven speed box - I like the price though:D

OP
P

Paul Beer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
The extra tax is probably more than the fuel costs...

Saw a really nice example on Auto Trader today, just down the road too!
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609087554936

Except that when I ring the guy he's based in London, but he's given the car to his mate to sell because he kept getting calls from the Midlands about the car from people who couldn't be bothered to travel far.

Which could be an entirely legitimate story, I suppose.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The issue for me with any car especially when paying £5k+ is that all the main panels are original paintwork. I accept that most cars even those up to three years old will probably have had a smart bumper repair, mine has.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609087554936

The car featured above looks like it's seen paint to the nearside rear door, silver is very difficult to match and the door looks like it has had a part repair to the panel.

Quite a lot the cars that you've been looking at appear to have had excellent main panel paintwork. I prefer this but you may not be so bothered. Other than that the car seems well looked after.

Reminds me of a 212 estate I nearly travelled to see in Blackpool, when I researched the registration number it had been spun out of one of the main MB dealers in London, it had seen a lot of new paint which is pretty typical of driving in London, needless to say I didn't travel to see it, I could see the blending in on the photos of the car but asking the salesman whether it had seen any new paint was a complete waste of time

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom