Help, low powered sprinter (ive read nearly everything with no result)

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I haven't read the whole thread but think the problem is underfuelling, possibly a result of duff MAP sensor.

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
www.superbikeforums.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes sprinter 311cdi- Suzuki 750K1 and a Ducati 916SP
I haven't read the whole thread but think the problem is underfuelling, possibly a result of duff MAP sensor.

I keep going back to that conclusion, hence why I replaced the fuel filter and blew the lines out, I also keep thinking about the high pressure and lift pump..

Upto now, the 2 merc technicians have been out, now there is 3 thats now baffled.. :neutral:

memory has been wiped again, and the van at a push will pull 84mph,

1st to 3rd is fine enough but 4th is weak and 5th is pants!! it wound 82 in 4th then 5th does no increase..

It was decided to replace the turbo boost switch, which I have done this afternoon with no effect. I have replaced the intake air temp sensor,

I have had the glovebox and the speedo pod out and checked the wiring including the earths with no fault found, also this afternoon I opened up the loom on the N/S engine bay, I found it had been repaired previously but all was fine and well connected.

Cant get my head around why 5th has no pull and Im still dogged with this pinking when throttling up, specially 3rd and 4th, I have asked if there is a knock sensor but apparently not..

Im thinking fuel rail pressure sensor or the other one on the rail which is the fuel metering sensor

I am now prepared to do most anything including throwing another engine in it to sort it, or Im going to have to chop it in for another as my head is done in with it, shame as the van is a cracker except for this fault but it should pull 100mph and I cant live with the fact it wont do what it is capable of... :???:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Two things Im thinking.. injectors may be slightly outta sync.. also intercooler rad may be restricted.. not sure if your injectors need setting up on star..

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Was doing exactly what its doing now when I got the van 2 months ago, since the I have fitted recon injectors (2 was blowing anyway)
I have gone over the intercooler, pipes and manifold and pressure tested them with no faults found :???:

beam99

New Registration
Reaction score
A customer of mine has a similar problem 03 merc 311 cdi no power, if you floor the throttle it will only rev to about 3000rpm, and is dead when driving, the fuel filter was replaced around 10 k ago, and my diagnoistic will not make contact with it, i've checked the intercooler pipes, and the turbo looks good. I'm thinking of trying to bypass the fuel tank and running it direct, but i mite check the wiring that you mentioned first. This is my first post here, looks like a good site.

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 208D T1 van 1989
Hello beam99,

Bypassing the fuel tank is worth a try,if possible try a direct feed to the injection pump. You will need to rig up some form of gravity feed in the cab or bulkhead.

Adrian.

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
A customer of mine has a similar problem 03 merc 311 cdi no power, if you floor the throttle it will only rev to about 3000rpm, and is dead when driving, the fuel filter was replaced around 10 k ago, and my diagnoistic will not make contact with it, i've checked the intercooler pipes, and the turbo looks good. I'm thinking of trying to bypass the fuel tank and running it direct, but i mite check the wiring that you mentioned first. This is my first post here, looks like a good site.

thats either not boosting up or in limp home mode mate..

I can get mine to do that if I disconnect the turbo boost switch on the N/S intercooler pipe.

I would also check the valve on the O/S inner wing under the airfilter box with the 2 pipes to it, that controls the boost pressure valve, I opened the loom underneath the radiator when I was suspecting mine and found the 2 wires braided together brown/white and the brown had corroded through.

ALSO open loom N/S engine bay over the engine mount and mine was a rats nest there.. all common faults, hope this helps you. Im going to be a expert on sprinters by the time Ive worked my illusive fault out ;)

Anyway, back to my fault..... :rolleyes:

A lot of brain racking.. chatting to other lads who have been on the tools years and it still remains a baffler :???: regardless now all my wiring under the bonnet is all open and over the place, Im going to leave that line of investigation and concentrate on a fuel delivery fault... my reasoning for this is it defo has a pinking, specially throttling up thro 3rd and in top on the motorway on a incline, I can get past the pinking if I floor the throttle or take the gas off... so regardless of what the "Official Mecedes" computer says Im going back to good old fashioned fault diagnosis on experience, So Im going to remove the fuel rail early next week, remove BOTH sensors, check the rail for blockages and replace the sensors. If that fails... its onto the high pressure pump and lift pump..

I will keep the progress updated, hopefully somebody will be able to in future read thro the thread and help them out if there van developes this fault.

BTW, anybody requiring sensors or glow plug relays? as Im developing a spare suppy of used tested ones now !!!

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Sheepster,

Well done you for keeping at it,and also keeping us posted on the progress of your fault. Just out of intrest did you check the valve timing?.

As my mother use to say, It will all turn out right in the end.

Adrian.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
can we be clear, no faults at all are showing on star?? pinking is most likely an injector fault, have the remaining original injectors been tested at all?

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
The vale timing has gone thro my mind on a few occasions strangly enough, I had the same problem on a Volvo a few years ago when some muppet had put the cam belt on 1 tooth out on the cam sprocket.. I would say the engine has been out at sometime down to the fact that the paint on the bonnet bolts as been marked, so maybe its had a a head gasket job and the cam chain is off by a tooth so it is a possibility, hopefully I find the fault before I get to that stage ;)
I need to get a download manual so can find out the timing settings as well.

as for the injector suggestion... Yes I agree it is possible but....

it has been on the stars system 4 times now with no fault picked up in as far as the injectors, it also was doing this when I got the van 2/3 months ago.. it also had black death to the brim of the rocker box as 2 injectors was blowing (noticed once I removed all the tar) so I re cut the injector seats, fitted genuine slight over size Bosch copper washers (instead of the ****ty Mecedes domed ones) and a complete set of recon injectors,

but the fault remains... (not saying 1 of the recons could not be defective but to mimic the exact same original problem is highly unlikely) stranger things have happened though :???:

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Stll waiting for the muppet who I got the rail of to respond to when I am getting it,... :neutral:

I decided to try a fuel chip box in the mean time... oh my god,..

its like **** off a chrome shovel, throttle is very responsive and the torque has defo increased but still hits 85mph and thats its lot, so still no change on that score :mad:

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Ohhhhh.... very intersting, Thanks for that info ;)

does sound exactly what mine is doing. :confused:

I was told mine was set to 160kph by the guy with the lap top so as I had no control over that I ruled that out. Strange this is, Mine was doing 74mph and after all the work Ive put in, now it will do 82mph in 5th but it will also do 82mph in 4th and told him that. He just said it was strange!

I have txted and rang the lap top guy and he aint getting back to me now:confused:

It does seem since fitting the fueling chip, the pinking has gone, and the low down power is awesome.

Im going to take the fuel lift pump off today to check its operation. I also did a exhaust gas test on the van before fitting the chip so I will do another to see if it has changed the exhaust emissions.

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Just been out and removed the lift pump... NOT the pump as thats fine!

does this mean if I change the high pressure pump without results I have got to the end of the road without conclusion and impelled to never be able to exceed 84mph?

Has somebody got a spare pump to sell?

surely somebody has the answer to my problem ;)

In the mean time, Im going to enquire on the speed limiter with another lap top guy as my guy wont respond still :mad:

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello beam99,

Bypassing the fuel tank is worth a try,if possible try a direct feed to the injection pump. You will need to rig up some form of gravity feed in the cab or bulkhead.

Adrian.

Hello Sheepster,

Why you have the lift pump off,it might be worth giving the above a try,you have nothing to lose.

Adrian.

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Hello Sheepster,

Why you have the lift pump off,it might be worth giving the above a try,you have nothing to lose.

Adrian.

actually, not a bad idea.. :D

Right, Ive had the van on the motorway on the same stretch again tonight, it does do 82mph in 4th :confused: then 5th is a pain as it does nowt!!

my lap top guy has been in contact again, he has been having a few days away so panic over, I have mentioned the limiter thing in America, he said he has not heard of that so Im going to email him the link now.

we are fitting a high pressure pump then its onto the ECU, any other suggestions, please feel free to put them up ;)

OP
S

Sheepster

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
changed high pressure pump and fuel rail sensors yesterday... NO EFFECT:(

Lucky for me, I know somebody at Merc so aint cost me more than £25 so far..:p

after a few hours on google I think I know what it is now, I will do it and let you know the outcome ;)

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Sheepster,

Lucky you have good connections for parts,if not it would have been an expensive exercise. It is interesting so see that all the people you have had looking at your van,nobody has pin pointed the problem.

Look forward to your next update. Anything to do with the wiring,or a speed limiter?.

Adrian.

MB partsman

Reaction score
it also had black death to the brim of the rocker box as 2 injectors was blowing (noticed once I removed all the tar) so I re cut the injector seats, fitted genuine slight over size Bosch copper washers (instead of the ****ty Mecedes domed ones) and a complete set of recon injectors,

Did you replace the injector clamp bolts when you refitted the injectors?
they are stretch bolts, and if you didn't replace them maybe you are getting blow-by?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom