How would you sort out this defective wheel job? Am I too fussy.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I wouldn't say you are too fussy but probably like me at the top end of the scale in expecting a perfect job.

I don't trust tyre fitters with mounting/dismounting my wheels I have a spare set so that I can fit those while any work is being carried out i.e. new tyres fitted or refinishing, I've seen too many wheels abused by over tightening or as you experienced paintwork damage over the years so I remove/refit them as I have no trust that this will be done with care.

Personally I'd ask for compensation and move on especially as they are some distance from you, I certainly wouldn't waste any more time on them. The average car owner won't get down on their hands and knees to inspect the finish i.e. if they look ok when they get in or out of the car they are fine and this applies to most supercar owners as the car will be valeted

I do agree with you.
When I bought this car, it had 2 new tyres.
Probably because my SL500 has 8.5J on the front and 9.5Js on the back, Imthought something was odd.
They had put both 8.5Js on the left, and both 9.5Js on the right! And then mounted 275s on the 8.5Js! My max tyre on the fronts is 255s. Luckily and amazingly they fitted with no damage, or visible Scuffing. So it appears one could put a 9.5J with 275 on the front. But the clearance was 2mm or so to the nut on the upper suspension arm :-/.
And thats a proper tyre company! Apparently.
Oh and sheared the cogs on 2 locking nuts!
Nice job!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Sadly I am a good judge of poor service.
As suspected .. I thought they would be difficult about it.
I wrote to them yesterday including photos at 11.37 am.

And surprise surprise .... no response!

God I do hate having to chase up crap like this! So not looking forward to this phone call! :(:(

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Update they are going to get the manager to sort something out for me tomorrow.
So at least they are not saying **** off!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
What is the betting they don't respond again?

60/40 where 60 is they do not respond.
Just based on past experience where folks who give a dam, immediately respond to a problem.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They'll contact you - it's May the fourth after all!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I was not happy about this mess.

BUT THAT DID MAKE ME SMILE :):):)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It looks like a rush job, you should never get blemishes in powdercoat. The dimples are from using too much pressure when cleaning the wheels of their old coating i.e sandblasting.

Sometimes you do have to clean bolt holes out after.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It looks like a rush job, you should never get blemishes in powdercoat. The dimples are from using too much pressure when cleaning the wheels of their old coating i.e sandblasting.

Sometimes you do have to clean bolt holes out after.
Thsnks thats useful, he seemed to have to work quite hard putting in the bolts. As they were new, and had coppa slip on the threads ( I know you shouldnt)
I was surprised ... as they ran in really easily before painting.

Well its 4.30 and no response.
Phone line is busy! :-/

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Update I phoned them and during the call I had a Incoming call from the manager. So they did respond.

After a little negotiation, we settled on a £98 refund i.e. The cost incl. VAT of one wheel's "paintwork only" i.e. Excluding the cost of straightening.
And they will still warranty all 4 wheels ... so even if either of the 2 slightly scratched ones bubble up, they will still sort any of them out.

So at least I didnt pay a top price for sub standard workmanship, but still have the reassurance of having warranty on all the wheels.

Net cost of 4 wheels fully refurbished, powder-coated and "bespoke premium" Titanium painting was eventually brought down to £286.

So seemed sort of an OK settlement.

Just got to tart those scratches up a bit , and then never look at those areas in detail again. Lol

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Update I phoned them and during the call I had a Incoming call from the manager. So they did respond.

After a little negotiation, we settled on a £98 refund i.e. The cost incl. VAT of one wheel's "paintwork only" i.e. Excluding the cost of straightening.
And they will still warranty all 4 wheels ... so even if either of the 2 slightly scratched ones bubble up, they will still sort any of them out.

So at least I didnt pay a top price for sub standard workmanship, but still have the reassurance of having warranty on all the wheels.

Net cost of 4 wheels fully refurbished, powder-coated and "bespoke premium" Titanium painting was eventually brought down to £286.

So seemed sort of an OK settlement.

Just got to tart those scratches up a bit , and then never look at those areas in detail again. Lol
Decent result Sub, as I said earlier a couple of months and it's forgotten- at least you've some recompense and still a guarantee , which I think looks like they'd honour...

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Decent result Sub, as I said earlier a couple of months and it's forgotten- at least you've some recompense and still a guarantee , which I think looks like they'd honour...

Works for me, sure I could have made them redo both wheels ... huge inconvenience and knowing Sods law once perfected, probably the next day someone would force me over on these narrow roads, and you kerb it!

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
I think that was a realistic outcome. You must be feeling better now!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom