If you are thinking of selling, now's the time!

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
That your dealer won't honour the high used price even on a factory order - we are!

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
That your dealer won't honour the high used price even on a factory order - we are!
It would need to be a factory order for me because the car I would want is not in stock unregistered anywhere in the UK. Ordinarily I would also have considered a pre registered model, but in the current climate it would be subject to higher prices so not an option for me.
I assume you work at a Mercedes dealership, but I am amazed that you will guarantee a trade in price based on todays rates for a factory order that will almost certainly not arrive until next year sometime...with possibly even no estimated delivery.
Did I understand you correctly...is this what you are saying?
WBAC have upped their offer for my car since I last checked 12 days ago and are now offering £3400 more than I paid for my car brand new 15 months ago, which puts it only £300 below the full list price in June 2020. o_O

Last edited:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't work at a Merc dealer no....

Yep - got to honour a price on a PX otherwise the customer has no idea where the deal will be, In fairness, our cars (if ordered now) will be about March / April - and yes, that's the price we're honouring. Every dealer I know is having to do the same.

The other option we are giving customers is we'll value it at the time - but they may lose or win depending where it goes, OR we'll honour the EQUITY - so we value it for now, and hope it doesn't fall by more than the Finance payments each month.....

So for example a car worth £16000 in PX now, we'll offer £15500 for it in March - even though in "normal" times it would be worth about £9,000!!

If prices keep rising we win.... if they drop we lose. Gamble we take.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Motorway offered me £300 less than I paid for my CLS last year

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I don't work at a Merc dealer no....

Yep - got to honour a price on a PX otherwise the customer has no idea where the deal will be, In fairness, our cars (if ordered now) will be about March / April - and yes, that's the price we're honouring. Every dealer I know is having to do the same.
My mistake...you work at a dealer, just not a Mercedes one. :p
I popped into my Mercedes dealer last weekend and yes they will guarantee a trade in price but it is naturally projected forwards and is much lower than the likes of what WBAC would offer right now.
The other option is as you say a valuation much closer to the time.
It is completely unprecedented times we are in at the moment and dealers do not have a crystal ball.
The situation seems to be that for an unknown delivery date next year the dealer will at the very least guarantee a trade in price which will undoubtedly be on the low side, but then revalue upwards if required when the time arises.

Meantime my WBAC offers just keep going up and up for my June 2020 car.
Here is my latest obtained this afternoon which puts it significantly above what I paid for it and £40 more than full list price 16 months ago.
My dealers guaranteed minimum is nowhere near this.
Used prices are predicted to remain at a consistently high level at least up until the end of the year, but there will still in all likelihood be a shortage of new cars throughout next year.
WBAC 1 OCT 21.jpg

Last edited:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, every dealer will be different - but we are currently honouring just under CAP clean (for the nicest, retailable cars) at current price for FEB / MAR - this is what CAP-Hpi is currently predicting.... we may catch a horrible cold on it, but we are hoping they keep going up till Dec and then slowly fall back to current levels....

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Eventually sold my 2018 Mini yesterday as it hardly gets used now. I got quotes (sorry “indications”) from all the usual suspects including We Buy Any Car, We Want Any Car, Evans Halshaw, Mororway.co.uk and my local Mini dealer who originally sold my late wife the car,

Prices were originally around £14,800 but I didn’t get round to doing anything and, when I next checked they were around £15,500, increasing to £16,500 a couple of weeks ago. Having had a bit of time to do something about it, I tried again and was quoted £15,500 by the Mini dealer after inspection. Others also came in around the same figure except for WWAC at £16,500 and Motorway at £16,700.

I went with WBAC as they come to you and their agent turned up late yesterday afternoon. It was all very pleasant and professional. Initial offer was £16,250 less their £78 “admin” fee, I pushed him up to £16,300 clear (so £16,378 before the fee) and the money was in my account within minutes of us completing the “paperwork” which was all electronic. They will collect the car from my driveway in the next 14 days,

The only downside was that it took several attempts over a couple of days to get through to book the appointment as there were long delays in answering their phones but their offers were consistently on the higher end of the range. My walk away position was £16,00 so I was pleased with the fInal outcome

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I don't honestly believe this a true picture of the current market conditions out there as there is only one listed on there. I have just looked on AutoTrader at the identical car in age and spec to mine, pretty much the same mileage as mine was back in June 2020 when I bought it. To my surprise it was on offer at just over £28,000 !

Back in June 2020 I paid £21,000 for mine, that is some crazy increase.

A few days ago the used car market was a subject of a news feature on the box. They quoted a 23% increase in used car values year on year. If that is true then the current retail value of my C200 could be correct o_O

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I don't honestly believe this a true picture of the current market conditions out there as there is only one listed on there. I have just looked on AutoTrader at the identical car in age and spec to mine, pretty much the same mileage as mine was back in June 2020 when I bought it. To my surprise it was on offer at just over £28,000 !

Back in June 2020 I paid £21,000 for mine, that is some crazy increase.

A few days ago the used car market was a subject of a news feature on the box. They quoted a 23% increase in used car values year on year. If that is true then the current retail value of my C200 could be correct o_O

It is still on AT for sale, surprise, surprise and it seems to have gone up about £350 too o_O

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
I'll chip in.....

Bought a 17 reg Xtrail from a Nissan Main Dealer, 3 months ago to replace the family bus (10 year old nissan QQ+2) for £17k
Going off AT today, a replacement would be £21k give or take.....

And as an aside, I just sold on eBay, a 2 year old GPU from my PC which I bought for £330 for £506!

This 'issue' is creating madness in many places

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Sold my Audi A3 Convertible for £3680 more than I paid for it 6 months earlier. Bought my ‘modern classic’ a124 E320 for what I felt was a good price and similar to price range I’d been watching for 4-5 months so ‘worked’ for me but I know people selling their cars for ‘£1000’s more’ but are then buying slightly newer ones but also for ‘£1000’s more’, not really benefitting???

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well my best friend or Brother from another Mother as we been mates for a lifetime, is thinking of selling his 2013 C63 AMG!! the last of naturally aspirated proper V8's to buy????.....an Aston Martin DB9 or a Ferrari!!! Personally id keep the Merc as its in perfect condition and well lets say if he got one of those other cars he will need much deeper pockets than he has now!....but he has this fantasy about buying one of them so il see if he will sell and go through with it, esp as prices for the C63 AMG are getting strong esp for non tampered beasts!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To give you an idea that it is levelling off or even dropping, I wiped £32,000 off my stock today. Only a few cars were £50 / 100 - most £300-500 - one car £1500.....

Cap is expected to drop 1% next month and 2% the month after - plus retail demand is slowing (usual in run up to Christmas).... So if you are thinking of selling, now might be the time......... If you are thinking of buying, maybe hang in there......

I see prices forecast to be down by 10% by March and 28% by June, settling back to normal pricing by Sept......

Slartibardfast1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
I bought a 2012 SL350 from a main dealer in January for £24,000. I sold it 6 months later to a car dealer for £31,000. He sold it a few weeks later for £34,000

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
To give you an idea that it is levelling off or even dropping, I wiped £32,000 off my stock today. Only a few cars were £50 / 100 - most £300-500 - one car £1500.....

Cap is expected to drop 1% next month and 2% the month after - plus retail demand is slowing (usual in run up to Christmas).... So if you are thinking of selling, now might be the time......... If you are thinking of buying, maybe hang in there......

I see prices forecast to be down by 10% by March and 28% by June, settling back to normal pricing by Sept......

That is good info, is the forecast price drop because the Chips are becoming available again ?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I bought a 2012 SL350 from a main dealer in January for £24,000. I sold it 6 months later to a car dealer for £31,000. He sold it a few weeks later for £34,000

I have noticed R231 SL prices are a litte crazy at the moment. R230 prices don't seem to be following suit.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That is good info, is the forecast price drop because the Chips are becoming available again ?
Did the industry predict the price increase? If not then their predictions of the drop again is speculation?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did the industry predict the price increase? If not then their predictions of the drop again is speculation?
That is literally all it can be !

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom