In our new Brexit world do we still need a monarchy

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
btw:

I looked around but couldn't find anything (?)...all I can see is current "what if" articles but I was sure HM Queen said or intimated at the time of Charles' investiture as POW that she would abdicate in favour of him "quite soon"?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Blimey you could have raised it to a pint and pie :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
If Brexit is to succeed it can't be about pretending we still live in the 1950's

That is exactly what a good number of those who voted out want.

The Royals are seen very favourably by many nations across the globe and will be a help not a hindrance when it comes to putting in place some of the relationships a post EU United Kingdom will need.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I am personally embarrassed to live in a Monarchy and b4 the smart ar5es suggest I go live in Russia, I would say that I am of these islands [unlike our Monarchy I am not German]

That you maybe although I do wonder if you are perhaps from a different time zone, something circa 45 years ago. Is there anything at all in this country, society/Life that you do like and agree with or do you just hate everyone and everything?

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
  • Banned
That you maybe although I do wonder if you are perhaps from a different time zone, something circa 45 years ago. Is there anything at all in this country, society/Life that you do like and agree with or do you just hate everyone and everything?

for someone who dislikes politics you spend a lot of time throwing out jibes, try addressing it with logic;)

Its time for a new anthem too

https://www.republic.org.uk/winning...39a71bde6490676896fc98ac134f3e_1486987307_168

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Hmm. In the same breath the article writer attacks the current anthem for referencing a"God many no longer believe in" yet advocates I vow to thee which is a hymn about the kingdom of God, and Jerusalem, which is a hymn directly about Jesus Christ.

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
  • Banned
Hmm. In the same breath the article writer attacks the current anthem for referencing a"God many no longer believe in" yet advocates I vow to thee which is a hymn about the kingdom of God, and Jerusalem, which is a hymn directly about Jesus Christ.

it wouldn't be my choice, I'd go for Yellow Submarine

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
He will abdicate immediately in favour of William.

He can't abdicate. Look what happened the last time a monarch abdicated (Edward VIII) there was a massive constitutional crisis, and decades of navel gazing. Monarchs can't step down or retire, it's not a job, it's a vocation. They have to stay to the bitter end or until they go completely La La, look at George III. Nutty as a fruitcake, but still king. Charles isn't even slightly unwell. (as far as we know).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
He can't abdicate. Look what happened the last time a monarch abdicated (Edward VIII) there was a massive constitutional crisis, and decades of navel gazing. Monarchs can't step down or retire, it's not a job, it's a vocation. They have to stay to the bitter end or until they go completely La La, look at George III. Nutty as a fruitcake, but still king. Charles isn't even slightly unwell. (as far as we know).

There is now Precedent for it, due to the Abdication Act having been passed.

The Royals have always kept a very close eye on their public image, here as well as around the Empire/ Commonwealth. Edward VIII abdicated precisely due to the image his relationship with Simpson portrayed to the public; Charles for various reasons has not achieved widespread popularity to be considered viable (e.g. if he acceded the throne, Australia would leave the Commonwealth) then I don't see William not being given the nod.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
  • Banned
I'm not happy in the winter as I can't get out and about on my bike much nor can I swim in the sea like I do in summer. I'm happily married and have been so for a long time, my kids and grandchildren are a blessing. However as I have often said I do not identify with our government nor our economic system.
What swings your boat Alfie, now that we are in facebook mode?

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
  • Banned
Established so far/or not

a] We need a new head of state [and formal constitution?]
b] We need a new anthem as the current one is not just awful but fundamental to [a]

c] Do we also need a new flag?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
We need a new head of state [and formal constitution?]

No

b] We need a new anthem as the current one is not just awful but fundamental to [a]

No

Do we also need a new flag?

Depends, we have a Union Flag and each country I that union has their own flag so why would we need a new one.

The only change is if the Scots go and we can then remove the Saltire element from the Union Flag

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Depends, we have a Union Flag and each country I that union has their own flag so why would we need a new one.

The only change is if the Scots go and we can then remove the Saltire element from the Union Flag

I must admit I've always preferred the pre-1740 Union flag... looks much less cluttered. But without the Saltire, how would one tell if the flag was mounted the right way up?

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom