Ipod & Audio 20

M

mport

(Also posted to the end of the Ipod thread but kind of buried away there so please excuse double post)

I'm awaiting delivery of a new C200K Avantgarde estate (may seem like a crazy time to get one but got a very good deal) with bog-standard Audio 20 (+phone preparation).

Dealer tells me that a) offical MB/Apple Ipod integration only works with COMAND so no good for Audio 20, and b) current MY2007 C-Class doesnt even have aux input in glove box, though new MY2008 C-Class does have.

Is this true? Have read in other forums that Ipod integration kit works fine with Audio 20. And if so, do I have any other options for Ipod (that wont involve intervention that will cause problems with MB warranty)?

type49

Reaction score
An I-pod works fine with Audio 20. Your dealer needs some more pruduct knowledge.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
(Also posted to the end of the Ipod thread but kind of buried away there so please excuse double post)

I'm awaiting delivery of a new C200K Avantgarde estate (may seem like a crazy time to get one but got a very good deal) with bog-standard Audio 20 (+phone preparation).

Dealer tells me that a) offical MB/Apple Ipod integration only works with COMAND so no good for Audio 20, and b) current MY2007 C-Class doesnt even have aux input in glove box, though new MY2008 C-Class does have.

Is this true? Have read in other forums that Ipod integration kit works fine with Audio 20. And if so, do I have any other options for Ipod (that wont involve intervention that will cause problems with MB warranty)?

The factory IPOD kit will work with audio 20 no problem. Parts cost circa £180, fitting can be done in about 45 minutes and as you have phone pre-wire, no coding is necessary. It will work with your steering wheel controls.

Your dealer is not in posession of the facts.

OP
S

sim73

ipod audio 20

I too have been advised by several dealers that it is not possible to connect the Mercedes ipod integration kit to the audio 20 in my 2006 SLK280.
can anyone recommend a dealer that will do this.
The Mercedes website also says that a COMAND system is necessary:(

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I too have been advised by several dealers that it is not possible to connect the Mercedes ipod integration kit to the audio 20 in my 2006 SLK280.
can anyone recommend a dealer that will do this.
The Mercedes website also says that a COMAND system is necessary:(

My wife's B class had audio 20 with IPOD in it when we bought it. It now has comand and IPOD.

The SLK system is different in that the navigation unit is in the boot. The audio gateway is separate from the head unit just like the E class which the ipod connection is available for.

I'd ask a different dealer if I were you.

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are differences with the Audio 20 in the new CLC? I've been told that the official MB iPod Interface Kit cannot go directly into the rear of the new CLC Audio system and that the 6-CD changer is required to act as an interface.

Anyone confirm?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Please explain how? Thx

Alfie Please also chip in.

Firstly there are new ipod kits out for the newer model year 2009 cars that are starting to appear now.

The older ipod kits for the my 2005 - my 2008 cars work by sitting inbetween the head unit and the wiring. They plug in basically. That is unless you have a W211, R171, CLS where the AGW is in the boot. In these cars you must have Comand to have ipod. Whereas in the a/B/C/CLK/ML/GL/R classes the ipod kit works with audio20 or comand.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
There should be a mini phono socket in the glove box. You plug the ipod into this and then select Aux on your Audio.

The mini 3.5mm jack plug in the glove box is usually only there if the car has comand from the factory. There have been one or two exceptions to this though.

J400uk

Reaction score
Hello I'm new in these parts... wondering if anyone can help me..

We have just purchased a 56-reg A150 Avantgarde SE from Mercedes, replacing a VW Golf MK5.

It seems to have a few options on it but I'm not 100% on the spec, and unsure whether its a 2006 or 2007 model year.

It uses the Audio 20 system - does this have a 3.5mm jack in glovebox already?

If not, are there any other ways to wire in an iPod other than the £200 Mercedes kit? With the Golf it was possible to buy significantly cheaper 'x-carlink' kits of eBay.

Thanks very much for any replies :)

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hello I'm new in these parts... wondering if anyone can help me..

We have just purchased a 56-reg A150 Avantgarde SE from Mercedes, replacing a VW Golf MK5.

It seems to have a few options on it but I'm not 100% on the spec, and unsure whether its a 2006 or 2007 model year.

It uses the Audio 20 system - does this have a 3.5mm jack in glovebox already?

If not, are there any other ways to wire in an iPod other than the £200 Mercedes kit? With the Golf it was possible to buy significantly cheaper 'x-carlink' kits of eBay.

Thanks very much for any replies :)

Your car wont have the 3.5mm jack plug as you have audio20.

The mercedes kit is the best way to integrate an ipod into your car. It works with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display. No other kit will do this.

J400uk

Reaction score
Right, thanks for clearing that up.

Does the Audio 20 support MP3 CDs at all?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a retro fit for the Audio 20 so that you can have an AUX in,,its on AN82.60-p-0008p

J400uk

Reaction score
Another question, am I right in thinking if a 2007-56 A-Class (not mine) came pre-fitted with COMAND from the factory, should it have the AUX socket?

I realise the Audio 20 cars don't as mine dosent have AUX, but is it different if they came with COMAND?

Thanks.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Another question, am I right in thinking if a 2007-56 A-Class (not mine) came pre-fitted with COMAND from the factory, should it have the AUX socket?

I realise the Audio 20 cars don't as mine dosent have AUX, but is it different if they came with COMAND?

Thanks.

Both the Audio20 and Comand units in the W169 A class have an AUX input on the head unit. On some cars I have seen the AUX socket in the glovebox when comand was specified from the factory. On others it was missing. The factory ipod kit uses the AUX on the head unit. If you want to fit the 3.5mm AUX in the glove box anyway, the parts are very cheap and its very easy to do.

jonhunt2000

Reaction score
Right, thanks for clearing that up.

Does the Audio 20 support MP3 CDs at all?

Yes it does, and this can be used instead of an ipod. In fact the manual states that you can make Audio 20 DVD Mp3,s and I double checked this with MB.

However I can't get this to work in my Audio 20, I just get disc unreadable on DVD's however CD's work fine.

My new E class came with command and Audio 20 and the aux was in the glovebox, however its pretty useless as you can't control the ipod other than from the ipod, and the noise level is so low you have to turn the volume right up, so when traffic reports come on you are deafened.

The way forward is MP3 DVD's, you get name of song etc, I just have not been able to get that to work yet with the unit reporting disc unreadable.

Anyone got MP3 DVD's to work?

lolacarrascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220i sport estate
Yes, I'm having the same problems - MP3 CDs work fine, showing up folders and track names but getting same message with DVDs. I am thinking now that I cant use DVDs, as under permissible discs, only CD-R and CD-RW discs are listed. I don't see any reference to DVDs in my audio 20 supplement manual.

I had tried a DVD+R, maybe another format, DVD-R or DVD-RW would work - tried either of these.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Yes, I'm having the same problems - MP3 CDs work fine, showing up folders and track names but getting same message with DVDs. I am thinking now that I cant use DVDs, as under permissible discs, only CD-R and CD-RW discs are listed. I don't see any reference to DVDs in my audio 20 supplement manual.

I had tried a DVD+R, maybe another format, DVD-R or DVD-RW would work - tried either of these.

The Audio 20 Head unit only reads CD's it does not support DVD's.

jonhunt2000

Reaction score
The Audio 20 Head unit only reads CD's it does not support DVD's.

DVD MP3 IS SUPPORTED ON AUDIO 20 OFFICIAL (its just I can't get it to work)

I have had the following conversation with Mercedes and they say it does as does my manual

"Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N.V. regarding the Audio 20 system in your Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

I have contacted the Mercedes-Benz Technical Department regarding your enquiry and they have confirmed that Audio 20 can play MP3 files from a DVD. They have also advised that details of suitable discs can be located in your user manual.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again supplying us with your full vehicle details.
Yours sincerely

Elaine McGregor
Customer Service
Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N.V.
Gaetano Martinolaan 10
NL-6229 GS Maastricht, the Netherlands
"

I have tried DVD+r and DVD-R Maxell, Rytek, and just get disc unreadable. The manual also says you can use DVD-RW and DVD+RW, not tried those yet.

If anyone gets it to work please let me know

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom