Is there any leather cleaner like the old MB leathercare the one before Maquires

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Does anyone remember the Old MB leathercare product. It was a bit like very slightly milky but almost clear stuff. ( it almost had a sort of alcholol like quality) Wipe it on and it penetrated the leather, and cleaned it well. A once over wipe with a clean towel left a lovely matt look.

Is there anything similar today? I.e. Almost clear, that drys Matt i.e. not white?

I am looking for something almost clear, so if it clogs the holes in ventilated seats it wont leave drastic white filling in the holes.

These seat really needed moisturising, thank goodness no cracking, and they came up beautifully with some of the greasy Maquires stuff. But that is a pig to use, as if you leave it on too long, it goes white in the grain, and a nightmare for the pin holes of the ventilated seats.

Its so difficult to get the leathercare to penetrate deep into the leather, yet not flood the pin holes. Took about 6 very thin applications.

The old stuff would have done it better in 2 goes.

An old boy, who used to work for a Bentley refurbisher once explained; if you have leather that has not had constant care, the first time you do it , do it really well, and complete it before you drive on it.

He said a flaw with theses modern surface treated leathers was if they were very dry, and you only did the top treated ( he called them painted surfaces ) you can soften the surface, that is then on top of an inflexible leather, and this can actually lead to stretching of the top treated coating, which sort of shears it off with the swaying of the car, over time. He said you really have to work in a lot of leather creme, so the whole leather becomes supple right the way through. One can see the logic.

But doing that on perforated leather is a labourios process, with numerous coats, as it gradually sinks in.... to avoid flooding the perforated holes that then go white with some cleaners/conditioners

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
All modern automotive (and shoe!) leather is painted and has been since the late 90s.

I would personally recommend Gliptone Liquid Leather, it comes as both a cleaner and a conditioner. Apply the cleaner with a nail brush, you'll be amazed what comes off. Avoid anything with alcohol as this can affect the paint stability. The conditioner then just rubs in. I have used this on both my old MBs, including the 2000 Reg car whose seats had seen better days, and it worked wonders. This car has perforated seats, all one has to do is to keep rubbing the conditioner in with soft cloth until it disappears.

Plus, it has that new leather smell too.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Actually the tanning process changed in 1999 there abouts, before that date one could use the saddle soap type that soaked into the leather, now one cannot use that as the colouring is only on the surface. I did my SL seats with passion leather with the Gliptone products, this does not block the holes at all, yes the holes look white for an hour, but then soaks in.

DSC01317_zps3nhg5mrl.jpg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There is a speck of dirt 92 holes up in the 15th column in from the left side bolster as viewed ;)

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have been using Renapur products for several years with great satisfaction both on the car and my shoes. I believe their main customer base is the "tack" people.

Mic

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Actually the tanning process changed in 1999 there abouts, before that date one could use the saddle soap type that soaked into the leather, now one cannot use that as the colouring is only on the surface. I did my SL seats with passion leather with the Gliptone products, this does not block the holes at all, yes the holes look white for an hour, but then soaks in.

DSC01317_zps3nhg5mrl.jpg

Yep that was about the date he said the leather changed.
Right great to hear Gliptone dissapears, the Maguires sadly does not, lots of white dots this morning, despite hours of trying to rub it out.

But after taking the mats out for a power wash, opened the door this morning and a lovely leather smell - the horrible smell has gone must have been something on the mats! Well they smell good now, washed them with Halfords car wash lol ( no carpet shampoo ) left out to dry all day, still a few damp patches so they were put inside the house.

I assume its smart to get them absolutely bone dry before putting in the car.

Well if that smell comes back ... I'll be forced to buy the Velour ones. Nick at Euromerc is having a dig around as he thinks he has a set :)

RichardSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLC43 AMG; Nissan 300zx; Range Rover Evoque
Gliptone = excellence

Meguairs = s##te!

I'd go as far as saying that the Meguairs leather cleaner is the worst product in the market place. It's greasy, smells revolting and leaves a nasty cheap looking shine on the seats. Stay away!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Gliptone = excellence

Meguairs = s##te!

I'd go as far as saying that the Meguairs leather cleaner is the worst product in the market place. It's greasy, smells revolting and leaves a nasty cheap looking shine on the seats. Stay away!

Plus one, Hate the stuff, just used it as I had 2 cans left, and was waiting for replies on here for recommendations. I was gutted when Mercedes replaced the original with this stuff.

Have ordered some Gliptone conditioner :). Seems to be the defacto. Opinion.
Does one need the cleaner as the leather is very clean?

RichardSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLC43 AMG; Nissan 300zx; Range Rover Evoque
Plus one, Hate the stuff, just used it as I had 2 cans left, and was waiting for replies on here for recommendations. I was gutted when Mercedes replaced the original with this stuff.

Have ordered some Gliptone conditioner :). Seems to be the defacto. Opinion.
Does one need the cleaner as the leather is very clean?

I have used the Gliptone cleaner on my 300zx - but like you, didn't think the SLK's seats needed it. I just wipe them down with Autoglym leather cleaner (spray) each week; and use the Gliptone conditioner a couple of times a year.

Zymol is also a decent leather cleaner - but I've not been able to buy it for some time:(

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
+1 for Gliptone.

If you use a bit too much at once it can clog up the holes in perforated leather, but if you give the affected area a gentle slap the excess gets blown back out of the holes onto the applicator/cloth.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
+1 for Gliptone.

If you use a bit too much at once it can clog up the holes in perforated leather, but if you give the affected area a gentle slap the excess gets blown back out of the holes onto the applicator/cloth.

If you were a real dedicated car lover you would get a tiny vacuum pump and needle that would suck out all dirt in the holes.;)

Joking aside the holes do not really clog up.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got both the Autogylm and the Gliptone, and rate the latter as far superior to the former.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always use Gliptone duo on newly acquired leather seats, and then about one or twice a year, with thorough baby wipes treatment every week or two - leaves the leather looking matt and clean.

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
i use Autoglym leather cleaner and then Autoglym leather balm and my 2003 seats still look like new, and the holes dry out perfectly.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I know I have said it before but remember what you put on your car seats ends up on your skin.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know I have said it before but remember what you put on your car seats ends up on your skin.

As I have been sitting in my car today, I will look in the mirror before I take a shower to see if it shines ;)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom