1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any point in a 2 bucket wash if you do a long pre-clean?

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by Submariner1, Oct 8, 2018.

1. keefysher

keefysher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
    No, no, no you just need 2 buckets, 1 to wash each washer, the other to rinse after washing :geek:

2. Crispian

Crispian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ml 280cdi,Tvr chimaera.
    But what should you then use to wash out the two buckets????

A third bucket???????

How long should one wash the third bucket out for after cleaning the two main wash buckets?

Should I use a sponge or a brush or a lambswool mitt?

Should I use vertical, horizontal strokes to clean the inside of the bucket?

What temperature water should I be using?

What should the ideal ph of the cleaning solution be for cleaning the third bucket?

Should I leave it to dry naturally,buff it gently or pop it in the oven on a low heat to dry the third bucket?????????

3. AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C240 estate 2002
    Don't forget the water should be made from pre-industrial revolution deep core antarctic glacial ice or reverse osmosis at the very least.

Yugguy and Capra like this.
  4. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    When I first picked up mine I was washing every Saturday, it was to the point where I was getting upset if I missed a wash. Now I am washing at best once a month. I'm not sure if it's the Sonax but the car doesn't get that dirty and still beads waster off.

I now realise that Sonax is not required on every wash!! Like JBell was telling me!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 8:35 AM
  5. mancman

mancman Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C-class 250 coupe pan roof
    I personally use the 15 bucket method, trouble is sometimes I forget which order the buckets should be in, so I've got all different coloured ones and I've also got a program on my pc that when the car is due a wash I can then print it off, then put it in a waterproof folder to make sure I use the buckets in the correct order.

Crispian likes this.
  6. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    Ouch.

7. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    Okay maybe a little mean but I’m sure I’m not the only one that thinks it.

Naraic likes this.
  8. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    In all honesty I hope Sub hasn’t taken offence to my comment, I wasn’t in the best of moods that day and this thread was a bit of a vent. That said I do stand by what I said, Sub does come across at times that money is the answer and bigger, more expensive is always the way and any one that doesn’t do he same it just inferior.

9. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Maybe you're like me, I will make a comment which I feel was just and far, and then later read again and realise that my comment could be taken as rude or could insult the OP. Carry on anyway as this does take the heat from me!

10. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    Don't apologise...I agree with everything you said. The first post is nonsensical. A car that hardly moves throughout the year is getting a 1.5 hour temporary fix wash.

I moved house at the end of June and washed my car for the first time last week. The car came up lovely...and all for about an hour (or maybe less) effort.

V6Matty and Capra like this.
  11. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I was spending more time cleaning than driving! I would clean my car on Saturday, then it rained and then it was dirty looking again. with cleaning less it is now a more satisfying process. I'm now more chilled, thank God!

12. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    Told you lol, after the 4th coat it just washes off

Capra likes this.
  13. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I was also applying after every wash and wasting the stuff. It still beads now and I've not applied the stuff for ages!

14. OP
    Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    The 30 mins was the rinse time for the snow foam , this Valet pro only stays on for 4 mins.
    With this foam lance it only takes 100ml diluted 4 : 1 ... great VFM. Leaves it almost clean.

John Laidlaw likes this.
  15. OP
    Submariner1

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    No, I refused the meter, and won on the grounds the water boards loose 3.1 Billion litres per day due to infrastructure leaks.

16. AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C240 estate 2002
  17. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    W213 E220d, Smart R451 CDI, Porsche 911 C2S, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I heard on the news yesterday that they're wanting to be able to force people onto meters due to the leaks, they've conveniently missed the point that most of the leaks are due to the water boards own issues and nothing to do with the end consumer.

They want more meters as it's a great revenue stream for them (see what I did there...). It boils my blood that they're forcing meters on a waste water ticket when it's all about revenue, if they wanted to save water they'd look at investing in their infrastructure and repairing that. There's a leak down the hill from me that's been there for over 6 months - they know about it, it's just in the difficult / expensive category so not a priority.

18. OP
    Submariner1

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Thats my point entirely ... they tried to fine me £1,000 for washing the car during a ban.
    My point they are loosing more in leaks today than 10 years ago. Er I thought we were getting more eco concious.
    They persistantly, annually commit a criminal offence by their Directors signjng off the Accounts as showing a true and fair view of the profit and loss and balance sheet. Its not a true and fair view ... when you deliberately supress vital maintenance to boost the profits, and consequently senior managements bonuses!
    They also boost the profits, so they can be sold off and then another enormous round of bonuses and pension options!

They dropped the fine, when I told them I would demand the Police investigate it.

Its an utter scandal they loose 21% of all the water before it even hits our stopcocks.

In this area, they open the sluices and dump river water into the sea at least 6 times a year, as they havent the reservoir capacity.

Water Board Directors salaries , pension rights, share options skyrocket! And the leaks increase and their profits rise annually! As do our bills.

Why because most of the public are retarded, when it comes to actually analysing whats really going on.

If they repaired the infrastructure, and built connecting pipes between the water boards to manage excess water, and built a few reservoirs ... we would have a huge surplus of water ... hell we could export it to France!

Get real ... its nothing to do with water scarcity ... its all about their bonuses!
    Ask yourself if you want to build a swimming pool, what do you think they say
    “ Oh No Never its far too much of a waste of water “
    Nope thats perfectly fine, you just pay the swimming pool charge!
    My case rests!

19. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    Oh dear ... it gets worse!

20. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Demand the police investigate??