I've just been done by the Police

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Contact Chief Constable!

Contact the Chief Constable and ask him why.

Yes, why not? If anything, it might prove to be a test case. The police may have got it wrong.

Perhaps Dave is due an apology OR they could issue him one of the official notifications he mentions.

REGARDS

Phil

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
That's interesting link.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice, A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed. In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Going off this paragraph, I was not issued a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. Just a fixed penalty fine and told to be on my way.

I too would write to the Chief Constable and quote the link.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
You have nothing to lose, it's not as if it's double or quits is it?

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Egg on face!

You have nothing to lose, it's not as if it's double or quits is it?

I agree. As I understand it, Dave has been fined for an 'assumed' breach of the tinting regulation because there is no real objective evidence that he actually breached it. If he writes to the Chief Constable, quoting the relevant regulation, and in the meantime remove the offending tinting ... where does that leave the police? Egg on face!

REGARDS

Phil

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Act quickly!

And another thing ... a fine will be recorded somewhere and it may have unforeseen consequences, for example, obtaining insurance.

Dave should challenge the fine and have the record of it either removed or amended. We are now in the area of the Data Protection Act Regulations and all it involves.

I've successfully invoked the DPA against my former employer and won. If you need/want to act, you must do it quickly.

REGARDS

Phil

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
That's interesting link.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice, A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed. In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Going off this paragraph, I was not issued a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. Just a fixed penalty fine and told to be on my way.

I was positive that was posted on page one of this thread?

Russ

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
I've just changed my signature photo for a change. I you look through the front drivers window on the photo you can make out the chrome piller that supports the drivers head restraint, so the tint can't be that dark.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I've just changed my signature photo for a change. I you look through the front drivers window on the photo you can make out the chrome piller that supports the drivers head restraint, so the tint can't be that dark.

Thats easy to see Dave

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
If you look through the front drivers window on the photo you can make out the chrome piller that supports the drivers head restraint, so the tint can't be that dark.

Surely the relevant section of the earler useful link suggests that any tinting at all in front of the B pillar risks prosecution. I quote: -
"Clear glass only allows approximately 86% of light to pass & the slight tint of standard manufactured glass varies from the 70% maximum limit up to approx 80% of light passing through, thus any film being applied to these windows will drop the light transmissions to below the regulation limit.

If your front windows are tinted to any level you do risk being stopped by either Traffic Police or VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) they have light meters to test the light that passes through your glass. If you have a subtle tint fitted then you should just be asked for it to be removed, if you have dark front door windows you could be told you
can’t drive your car any further and face a fine and points on your licence!"

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
This seems to be typical of modern British Policing. Where is the common sense factor?

Some of the policing I read about in the UK these days (via the net) is laughable to say the least. I read about cars being nicked and plenty of other serious motoring crimes being committed on a daily basis and yet the UK police seem to have time to stop people for dubious light transmission, through lightly tinted windows, as fitted to a car such as Dave's! Isn't this just stupid policing?

Surely plod can make a sensible judgement call on the car they will pull... something like 'easy on the light tint on a car that looks well kept and being driven sensibly' or alternately 'lets nail the Astra boy in fully blacked out car driving like a nance', whom the law was probably adjusted to nail in the first instance.

Yes, the law is the law and it should be enforced (in theory) but as the traffic police clearly can't seem to enforce all of it 100% of the time then they may be better spending their time attempting to nail the worst motoring offenders rather than piddly stuff like this.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
This seems to be typical of modern British Policing. Where is the common sense factor?

Some of the policing I read about in the UK these days (via the net) is laughable to say the least. I read about cars being nicked and plenty of other serious motoring crimes being committed on a daily basis and yet the UK police seem to have time to stop people for dubious light transmission, through lightly tinted windows, as fitted to a car such as Dave's! Isn't this just stupid policing?

Surely plod can make a sensible judgement call on the car they will pull... something like 'easy on the light tint on a car that looks well kept and being driven sensibly' or alternately 'lets nail the Astra boy in fully blacked out car driving like a nance', whom the law was probably adjusted to nail in the first instance.

Yes, the law is the law and it should be enforced (in theory) but as the traffic police clearly can't seem to enforce all of it 100% of the time then they may be better spending their time attempting to nail the worst motoring offenders rather than piddly stuff like this.

Sad to say - but 'law enforcement' depends on the 'ethenicity' of the driver.!!

cobe

Reaction score
100% Bitch

Oh dear! how slow can you get(me) saw the reply ie "jaffa" shruged and thought "in joke" A seedless sterile fruit just never entered my head! two days later? "old peoples home and food out of a blender beckon's" Mike:Oops::Oops::roll::roll:

dougjoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz S320CDI
I had the same thing with my MOT last year, the tint of the front windows was refered to as possibly too dark. I've checked my windows and the tint is in the glass.

It did not fail but could it in March when my next one is due.

Any comments welcome

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
I had the same thing with my MOT last year, the tint of the front windows was refered to as possibly too dark. I've checked my windows and the tint is in the glass.

It did not fail but could it in March when my next one is due.

Any comments welcome

It's not actually part of the MOT at the moment. So they can't fail you on that.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I would have thought that if the glass was a factory option there would be 3 digits on the vehicle data card in the back of the service book. If it is then theres nothing the fuzz can do about it.

jib

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
I would have thought that if the glass was a factory option there would be 3 digits on the vehicle data card in the back of the service book. If it is then theres nothing the fuzz can do about it.

jib

It came as an option when the car was bought new. But it was done by using the film method.

johnmc

Reaction score
Your lucky. Your car can get impounded as they are "not fit to drive due to poor visibility". The kids with the halfords specials are losing the cars until the tints are removed.

I saw one kid in Livingston tearing his window film off while a copper stood with arms folded. Made me smile a little...!

John

Top Bottom