Lay up for 4 months

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I will be laying up my W210 (Classic - petrol) for 5 months - Dec to April and would appreciate some advice as to the best approach to follow:D

joem

Banned
Reaction score
My C Class was laid up for 4 months - ther only problem this caused was that the battery failed. I would suggest putting a charger on the battery to keep it conditioned.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I was always advised to raise the car on axle stands to take the pressure from the tyres. As joem advises a trickle charger will keep the electrics happy.

Is the storage place heated and ventillated? You might get a mustiness in the interior in damp storage areas.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
you have two options:

go to lots of trouble, supporting the weight of the car off the tyres by jacking up the axles a bit, clever application of polish to the body and a very long list of other jobs which others will know far better than me, or

Dont lay it up at all, just use it very occasionally. I have a 1972 350SL which I only use in good weather, it does well under a 1000 miles every year but it never stands for more than two weeks. Even through the winter I give it a run on dry days, a minimum of 5 miles. I personally think is far better than trying to mothball it for the winter. If nothing else it means that engine, gearbox and axle oil gets spread around and protects the units far better then any other option I know.

Mark.

PS, only thought after the post: The car lives in the garage, I always leave the drivers window open and during the winter the boot lid open as well (I take the boot light bulb out)

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
mlc, definately the correct idea!

Even during "winter" there are days when one can use even the most "precious" car.

Some of those clear, dry, crisp days are wonderful open top driving :)

A car should be driven....

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Thanks for the response and yes the garage is dry, not heated but no damp whatsoever, given the space available down one side I will not be able to 'raise it on axle stands' Mark, I totally agree with the point you make however I forgot to mention that I will be some 12,000 miles away so that will be a tad difficult, I have no one who would 'take it for a run' for me.

I seem to have read somewhere that it is better to set the alarm, not required from a security point of view given the setup I have, but setting it does reduce power drain any thoughts?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom