Living with an R230

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
There are three main fuse boxes on the 230, (cos one is never enough). I used to know them all by heart, after chasing my various current drains. I couldn't recognise that one from that angle.
Me neither. There’s one on the pass side engine compartment and another in the storage box behind the drivers seat that I know but I didn’t recognise that one either

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When multiple systems are impacted have a look at the Canbus. I presume you have a code reader? CAN errors could be listed in a scan.

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I Fancied a CLK, bought an SL350
When multiple systems are impacted have a look at the Canbus. I presume you have a code reader? CAN errors could be listed in a scan.
I can try reading codes again with my Autel Maxidiag but these gremlins come and go, but more frequent in warm weather !. Can disappear completely after the car warms through after a half hour run. I'll check later, hope to find a clue to this evil mystery.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Even if symptoms disappear the code will remain for a while (from memory three successful 'starts' where a start is a run for in excess of a certain time).

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Nice drive out today. Speaking to the farm shop man about the car ( his is an C63) and he reckons next time I’m there he’s going to show me his dads car. ‘98 XJ8 with 12K on the clock!
Then I just happened to be passing my local Indy who has a body shop. Maybe I shouldn’t have. I have the dreaded rear wing rust starting to come through and a spot on the door. Also the front wings are beginning to show signs of roughness in the paint so probably corroded too.

The doors and front wings are aluminium and the rear wings steel.
I’m going to have to have it done when I can gird my loins to spend £1K. In any case it needs to be done before winter as I don’t have a garage.

Oh well! At least there are no leaks!

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Even if symptoms disappear the code will remain for a while (from memory three successful 'starts' where a start is a run for in excess of a certain time).
This looks annoying, but does tie in with the relay reference "C" info you kindly shared, maybe replacing the relay will solve... should trace this circuit for broken wire first I suppose... next stop, circuit diagram...:confused: PXL_20230502_141854779.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This looks annoying, but does tie in with the relay reference "C" info you kindly shared, maybe replacing the relay will solve... should trace this circuit for broken wire first I suppose... next stop, circuit diagram...:confused: View attachment 83763
Have cleared ITRO 25 stored codes yesterday over numerous modules, no reoccurrence of original combo of faults 11miles to works. Will rescan for interest tonight, note anything and set myself periodic scan check. My searches flag similar issues across other models, cured by various means. The more I learn about this car, the more I feel some things might just be a little over engineered, but hey, the ride alone Is worth it

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Good news....aircon re-gassed and ice cold ready for the the global warming summer.
Bad news...after pressure testing the cooling system the hot water auxiliary circulation pump is weeping and needs replacing.

Last edited:
OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Now the aircon is working as it should I find the left hand centre vent only blows cold!
im guessing I have a diverter flap stuck? where is it Please?

teaspoonasaurous

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Is anyone interested in a non-functioning BCM unit. It looks very clean from the top, but I am guessing some water got in through the sides and has caused a short on the back of the circuit board. Happy to pose some pics if people are interested.

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
Gosh. The R230 has taken a real battering in this thread! Granted that like many cars (including Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Audi, Jaguar Land Rover (especially the Range Rover) each have many weak spots and very bad stories to tell.

The thing is, many people often join forums to ask questions for help about the issue with their vehicles, then use the forums to complain about their issues with their vehicle. I don't think that many (if any) make posts to praise their vehicle when there aren't any issues.

I own a Brabus modified, 2003 SL55 AMG. I have owned it for over 15 years! I am still running on the same ABC shocks/struts. In the 15 years of ownership, the most expensive item to be replaced was the SBC unit, followed by a smashed differential.

I love the drive of my car, it is a real pleasure to drive. Granted, it is stored in my garage during the autumn and winter (6 months each year) and connected to two (Aldi XS) battery conditioners. I rarely start the engine during the 6 months, perhaps twice. I also leave the handbrake off, but chock one wheel.

After its long sleep, the first start is as expected - a brief cough, then the engine just purrs.

I've had a few minor things that have gone wrong - A/C condenser (bumper off job), engine oil level sensor, rocker cover gasket (both changed 12 years ago).

Considering the many years of ownership, my car has been good. I am the second owner. I do drive it hard (at times) and it doesn't complain. Every single thing still works on it. It's now 20 years old!

Anyways, that's my point of view and my story of ownership.

I guess that the very low mileage plays a part. I bought it with 23'000 miles, it has now covered 50'000, so 26'000 miles in 15 years.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Looks like my wallet will soon be lightened again. White ABC message...
Checked pressure and it's sometimes 175 bar, sometimes 60 and the ride is mushy like no dampers. I suspect a pump is in my future.

Tempted to pull it out and dismantle it to see what's what.

Interesting issue.. I have seen a number of comments around this symptom before, being caused by a failing accumulator. Do you know if they were changed at any point? The logic is that if the accumulator is failing, then when you request an actuation from the system the pump can't provide the instant pressure and thus it drops momentarily. Worth looking into, but then again the accumulators aren't cheap either.

Did you see this video on YouTube?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh and.. in case anybody has missed it. It's worth mentioning that I am in the process of overhauling the plumbing of my R230s ABC system over here

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is anyone interested in a non-functioning BCM unit. It looks very clean from the top, but I am guessing some water got in through the sides and has caused a short on the back of the circuit board. Happy to pose some pics if people are interested.

Considering the price of them I wouldn't throw it away anyway.

I'd be curious about getting it repaired if just shorted.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What's the story with BCM fires?

Has me a bit edgy now.. I store my car in my unit with everything else :/

Should I be disconnecting the batteries before putting them on charge so as not to keep the BCM energised ?

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
What's the story with BCM fires?

Has me a bit edgy now.. I store my car in my unit with everything else :/

Should I be disconnecting the batteries before putting them on charge so as not to keep the BCM energised ?
Interesting question. I have read horror stories about the BCM combusting. I have read that some have combusted without a charger being connected to the battery.

I store my car in my garage, connected to a battery charger / conditioner for 6 months every year. I have one connected to each battery (starter and consumer). I have been doing this for the last 12 years of ownership (I have owned the car for 15 years).

When I first read about this combusting BCM I became very concerned, however I still continued with my dual charging method.

From my research, it is very uncommon for it to combust.

Perhaps I am a risk taker!

Top Bottom