Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Blobcat said:
I will help out with the sums.

(3000 x 50) / 10

and

(3000 x 250) / 10

which is a low of £15k p.a and a high of £75K p.a Gross. So somewhere between those two extremes.

as for the unnatural thoughts, I would have thought they would be natural or were you thinking of Malcolm :confused:
I wish I had your brain Blobcat, figures have always been my downfall,

including Hanah's, On top of that I fixed quite a few cars and did 15-20 repairs a week.

Omni, you will have to ask Hanah if you can drive the car.

Back to Stumpy's thread, I do get pleasure driving the car as it has all of the extras that I wanted, out of them all the distronic is the best,for me anyway.

Stumpy must get the car with the spec that suits him, that's what its all about. I never understand why almost every stock car for sale in the showrooms is so basic, not at the top end anyway. there is an old saying "what ever happens it is for the best" I really do hope so for stumpy

In any case it will hold its value better as it will be a 2007 car, and that cant be bad.

malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
television said:
I think it is wrong to talk stumpy out of a MB, you arive in an MB,in the others you get there.

Malcolm

I absolutely agree with you. And to say people only buy MB for the badge is way off the truth. Of course some do, but I have owned Austin, Morris, Riley, Armstrong Siddely, Ford (many), Honda (three), Volvo (two) and Mercedes (ten). I almost always test drive alternatives and read reviews.

As I think you said on another thread, Malcolm (television), real luxury cars are front engine rear drive and to me that is the best drive bar none. Many Audis (all?) are FWD which I do not really like. Nor do I like the hard suspension (JC said: "the problem with Audis is that they are designed to be driven on roads as smooth as the designer's desk". Just not my taste). Most Audis have too little legroom for me yet even the diminutive A class has more than I need. Comfort is high on my list.

In addition I do not like the rather industrial-building style of the interior in both Audis and BMW; I definitely like the Burr Walnut and leather look and feel of the Mercs.

And lastly as Jberks says; looks matter. I find the new Audis and the BMW's ugly. Can't help it; to me they are just plain ugly. I find the E, the C, the 220 S class and the SL to be beautiful beyond anything normal for modern cars. I like to look at objects of such beauty.

On reliability, I have been pretty lucky, and the figures I posted from JD Power (which are more up to date than those posted by Omni) suggest most Mercedes owners are pretty satisfied on that score too. All modern cars are hugely complex and, of course, none are immune from going wrong from time to time.

All I can say is that I wake each day and look forward to driving my Mercedes Benz.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hawk20 said:
I find the E, the C, the 220 S class and the SL to be beautiful beyond anything normal for modern cars. I like to look at objects of such beauty.

All I can say is that I wake each day and look forward to driving my Mercedes Benz.

blimey Hawk, I think you need to get out more.;)

look, it's obvious you think your car is fantastic and that's great. It really is. If people find things they really like thats good. I am not and never would put down your choice of anything. I may not always like what other people do but then life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing. Some people belive in some kind of almighty being and some belive in Santa. I definately go for the later but I married someone who tends toward the former; just because we don't believe in the same things doesn't mean we dont get on (we do rather well in fact, been married for 13 years).

You say a real car has to be rear wheel drive, but why? Audi did rather well with their quatro system. You also base your decision on what other people say, like the quote from St. Jeremey. He says the suspension on Audi's is hard so therefor it is true. Well as we have established I have owned both and the suspension on may particular Merc is considerably harsher than on the Audi BUT that is because I have and Avantgarde with the additional sports suspension where as the Audi was an SE with all the nice wooden bits and springy suspension.

I have seen the inside of some Audi's that look terrible, but then look in a C-class classic and the word plain doesn't do it justice.

I know for an absolute fact that my Merc is not as well put together and not as solid (or even as well specced) as my Audi, which I drove 160,000 miles in over 5 years. I have driven the Merc since the end of Feb so I feel qualified to comment on the build difference. And as for the front/rear wheel drive thing the only thing I have noticed so far, in real driving conditions, is that the Merc can be a tad twitchy compared to the Audi.

I'm not quoting other people, I'm quoting me and my opinions and my experiences.

I like my Merc, despite it's failings. I do enjoy driving it, I just think you need to realise this is a forum, not a fan site and as such people are entitled to their opinions. This even includes you. I am not about to put my hands up and say "yes, mercs are the best cars in the world and I'll never drive anything else". My and other peoples experince on this forum will always tell me that MB is a flawed genius. Very flawed at times.

You continue posting your opinions and I will post mine. I'm not having a go or putting you down (well, I'm certainly not intending to) just don't get so personal.

btw, you missed out my response to Malcolm in your quote, which was "It was never my intention to talk him out of buying an MB, after all I own one and I'm relatively happy with it"

Anyway, sorry Stumpy. You have to admit though, this thread has gone in some "intersting" directions.

Last edited:

JonFB

Reaction score
television said:
My veiw for what its worth.
I would write to MB head office on the same lines as your last thread, it really expresses the way that you feel, keep it nice.

What does anyone else think ?
Malcolm

Hey Stumpy, I know I'm adding to this after this thread has moved on...but I think Malcolm is right. I would dteail the basic facts as you have in one of your last posts and then outline the observations you made re: MBs allegided conserted effort to improve customer service etc.

In my experience using words like "I was saddened to receive the reply xxx" and "I was disappointed at the service the dealer supplied..." carry more weight and impact than crafting an argumentative or negative tomb.

My gut view is that companies essentially want to please their customers, if you get someone writing a foul letter then the temptation is to cast their complaint in the bin. However, if they can see that you are intelligent and are genuinely disappointed then they will try and resolve the situation if at all possible.

Do you think it might be worth trying to get the name of a senior manager at MB UK and mark it for their personel attention to increase your chances of success (as opposed to an Admin zombie just "filing it").

I appreciate your comments re: not having the energy to pursue your complaint but even if your new car were a Ford or Proton one would expect a higher level of service, let alone the fact that it's a £50k Merc.

I also think Omni's suggestion of buying a nearly new model is excellent, you will save a fortune in tax and get to check it over before you buy. Obviously it will have to be a benz tho :shock: ;) :roll: :lol:

The very best of luck to you.

Jon

OP
S

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Thanks all - this thread has been very interesting. We really do want a Merc as opposed to a n other type of car. We are also BMW owners, and I too, am put off by the whole range of new ones. Idrive is a step backwards IMO too. I also drove an A6 Avant sportline, and I found the ride on 19s (which it needs to balance the looks) to be very brittle. Maybe on air it rides better? So onto the Merc, we want it specced up with the toys we want as it will be on our fleet for 5 years or so, and we are prepared to pay extra and lose more for that privilege. I don't think I will approach MB UK. The best thing under the circumstances would be to vote with ones chequebook and go to another dealer. Plenty more out there.

P.S. Has anyone driven the facelift E? It is such a leap over the old one.

BarryG

Reaction score
stumpy said:
Thanks all - this thread has been very interesting. We really do want a Merc as opposed to a n other type of car. We are also BMW owners, and I too, am put off by the whole range of new ones. Idrive is a step backwards IMO too. I also drove an A6 Avant sportline, and I found the ride on 19s (which it needs to balance the looks) to be very brittle. Maybe on air it rides better? So onto the Merc, we want it specced up with the toys we want as it will be on our fleet for 5 years or so, and we are prepared to pay extra and lose more for that privilege. I don't think I will approach MB UK. The best thing under the circumstances would be to vote with ones chequebook and go to another dealer. Plenty more out there.

P.S. Has anyone driven the facelift E? It is such a leap over the old one.
Best of luck hope you get what you want

Barry

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
blimey Hawk, I think you need to get out more.;)

look, it's obvious you think your car is fantastic and that's great. It really is. If people find things they really like thats good. I am not and never would put down your choice of anything. I may not always like what other people do but then life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing. Some people belive in some kind of almighty being and some belive in Santa. I definately go for the later but I married someone who tends toward the former; just because we don't believe in the same things doesn't mean we dont get on (we do rather well in fact, been married for 13 years).

You say a real car has to be rear wheel drive, but why? Audi did rather well with their quatro system. You also base your decision on what other people say, like the quote from St. Jeremey. He says the suspension on Audi's is hard so therefor it is true. Well as we have established I have owned both and the suspension on may particular Merc is considerably harsher than on the Audi BUT that is because I have and Avantgarde with the additional sports suspension where as the Audi was an SE with all the nice wooden bits and springy suspension.

I have seen the inside of some Audi's that look terrible, but then look in a C-class classic and the word plain doesn't do it justice.

I know for an absolute fact that my Merc is not as well put together and not as solid (or even as well specced) as my Audi, which I drove 160,000 miles in over 5 years. I have driven the Merc since the end of Feb so I feel qualified to comment on the build difference. And as for the front/rear wheel drive thing the only thing I have noticed so far, in real driving conditions, is that the Merc can be a tad twitchy compared to the Audi.

I'm not quoting other people, I'm quoting me and my opinions and my experiences.

I like my Merc, despite it's failings. I do enjoy driving it, I just think you need to realise this is a forum, not a fan site and as such people are entitled to their opinions. This even includes you. I am not about to put my hands up and say "yes, mercs are the best cars in the world and I'll never drive anything else". My and other peoples experince on this forum will always tell me that MB is a flawed genius. Very flawed at times.

You continue posting your opinions and I will post mine. I'm not having a go or putting you down (well, I'm certainly not intending to) just don't get so personal.

btw, you missed out my response to Malcolm in your quote, which was "It was never my intention to talk him out of buying an MB, after all I own one and I'm relatively happy with it"

Anyway, sorry Stumpy. You have to admit though, this thread has gone in some "intersting" directions.

Wow. What triggered that? I don't think you can have read what I wrote. It wasn't personal at all- unlike many of your postings. But I'm glad to hear I'm entitled to an opinion. It would be nice to be able to be enthusiatic about Mercedes, on a Mercedes forum, without being told to "get out more". Who is being personal?

No I don't buy on the basis of motoring journalists' reviews and did not say I did -if you care to re-read my posting. But I am open minded enough to read what they say and consider it for myself. I then drive the car myself usually several times and usually have one for a day or two or more if I can before buying. With the S class, I noted that Autocar, What Car, AutoExpress and even JC rated it the best saloon car in the world. I drove it and found it a joy to drive. Now at 18,500 trouble free miles in just under a year, I still find it truly amazing to drive. Do you want me to pretend that it is not as good as I find it to be?

As for suspension, I loathe the ride on the Audi on the lousy roads in Hampshire. I was not surprised to see JC say the same and glad I wasn't alone. And I don't like AvantGarde or sport supension either. I much prefer Elegance with Comfort ride. On the S, I have the joy of Air suspension and being able to switch from Sport to Comfort, but in practice I'm 95% in comfort setting. Just feel happy that you like Pepsi and let me enjoy my Coke.

BarryG

Reaction score
If stumpys dealer had kept to his side of the deal, we would have missed this wonderful thread :)

Barry

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
BarryG said:
If stumpys dealer had kept to his side of the deal, we would have missed this wonderful thread :)

Barry

Yes. It's an ill wind ......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Without starting a war I have to agree with Hawk 20 on many points that most of the MB's do not go wrong, I have 5 new ones around me, the owners do not know that this forum exist, their cars have never faultered. My good friend has had almost every MB made and never had a problem, and never had one go wrong. there are thousands leaving the factory everyday and 2-3 new members complaining a week, you do not find that many on the US forums complaining.

I have read reports in the stupid "Which" mag where cars have been listed as trouble some due to a bulb failing.

If I think back over the last year, most of the problems are down to the useless dealers and their service, another one tonight came on with his CDI, he has been ripped off with his fault, and they are happy taking hundreds of pounds at a time, off the guy,each time he goes back, and he is still at square one with his fault that only appeared after a service with them. MB are not alone,the service is getting worse and more expensive.

There are at this point in time hundreds of good TV engineers on the scrapheap, these guys can work things out, because they work at component level and normally want to know why it failed.

All of the manufactures articles in the motor trade press are saying, please find out why the original one failed,otherwise the new one will go the same way, and that is so true. If I have a semiconductor fail on my bench, if I do not find out what blew it, whats the point in keep putting new ones in, when a few simple test or checks would give the answer.

lets say that a window motor stops working, if you don't test the glass going up and down in the channels, whats the point in just putting in a new motor it also does not take long to measure the current drawn when closing, if the current is correct the new motor will not blow. In my trade you get a feel when something is OK,, goodness knows what the average motor mech; gets.

I am sure that if dealers paid better money to their mechanics to get good ones ,they could part with a few of their not so good ones.

I am not biased towards anything or anyone, I dislike so many things in this modern world where no one cares a s--- Even had a man today delivering parcels with only half the contents, its on the consignment note 2 boxes, ow he said nothing to do with me,,,,, I am off to bed.

Malcolm

Reaction score
stumpy said:
I don't think I will approach MB UK. The best thing under the circumstances would be to vote with ones chequebook and go to another dealer. Plenty more out there.

I think that's a good choice Stumpy. If you like and want the car, look elsewhere. In this case it's not the manufacturer that has let you down, it's the attitude of the dealer when a problem arose. Afterall you could say, "if they were like this before I even got the car, what would happen if something went wrong later on."

That may be unfair as I and others have had good experiences with TP but it would certainly always be I the back of my mind.

I believe you can actually buy cars from Benz World so you may want to give them a go as they are pretty local to the Guildford area. Alternatively the place in Wales that was already recommended

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Like I say, it's been a very intersting thread.

Reaction score
hawk20 said:
It would be nice to be able to be enthusiatic about Mercedes, on a Mercedes forum, without being told to "get out more". Who is being personal?

It was meant to be a joke based on how "sensually" you were descibing the beauty of Mercs. Hence the raised-eyebrow emoticon at the end. I apoologise whole heatedly if you read it any other way. Certainly wasn't what was intended.

I "thought" my response was level and not rude. Even re-reading it I believe that but again, if you read it differently I apologise. No insult was intended.

hawk20 said:
With the S class, I noted that Autocar, What Car, AutoExpress and even JC rated it the best saloon car in the world. I drove it and found it a joy to drive. Now at 18,500 trouble free miles in just under a year, I still find it truly amazing to drive. Do you want me to pretend that it is not as good as I find it to be?.

absolutley not. However, if you want to swap for a month or so I think you will find there is a world of difference between your s-class and my c-class. Quite rightly as there as a world of difference in the price. I expect that there is also a bit of a difference in teh way you get treated by dealers based on the kind of money you are likely to spend.

I really like the S-Class and I'd certainly be describing my car in teh kind of words you used if I had a SL, it is a truely gorgous car. I'm very envious of Malcolm (the car and the gal, lucky bugger ;) )

hawk20 said:
As for suspension, I loathe the ride on the Audi on the lousy roads in Hampshire. I was not surprised to see JC say the same and glad I wasn't alone. And I don't like AvantGarde or sport supension either. I much prefer Elegance with Comfort ride. On the S, I have the joy of Air suspension and being able to switch from Sport to Comfort, but in practice I'm 95% in comfort setting.

Again, Audi is a manufacturer, not a car. There is an enormous difference between cars in the Audi range as there are throughout the Merc range. You have Air Suspension which I'm sure makes you car an absolute joy. I have an Aventgarde with Sports suspension because A) I believe it corners better and B) (this makes me very shallow) I think it looks better. The down side of this is that the ride is very firm compared to the Audi that I used to own. I haven't driven all the Audi range so I'm sure some have very brittle suspension as some Merc's do.

hawk20 said:
Just feel happy that you like Pepsi and let me enjoy my Coke.

Actually I don't do either (I don't do caffine - Makes my head explode!) :shock:

Anyway, at the risk of turning this into the Hawk/Omni road-show I'd like to tke this opportunity to wish you a happy Christmas (as it is December now) and personally invite you to the Benz World Meet in February. I think 20 minutes behind the bike sheds should sort both of us out. :grin:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
However, if you want to swap for a month or so I think you will find there is a world of difference between your s-class and my c-class. Quite rightly as there as a world of difference in the price. I expect that there is also a bit of a difference in teh way you get treated by dealers based on the kind of money you are likely to spend.
:

Oddly enough I bought a new C class in 2002 and did 26,000 miles in it including driving to South of France and back. Had the 180 classic (smooth 2 litre engine, no compressor). Absolutely basic. But it still had nice wood and we had no trouble. Apart from the fact that the seats were a bit hard on a very long run (and not very wide), we were very happy with it.

We may be lucky with our dealer, Pentagon at Southampton, but I have found them pretty good and my brother with an A class finds them way better than he has had with other makes. But I freely admit I have experienced bad Merc dealers in the past. However, I think they are now under big pressure from Merc to improve and there are signs it is starting to work. Sadly not for Stumpy but you know the problem; that could be one guy's mistake.

Best wishes for Christmas to you and all on the forum.

On Malcolm's thooughtful piece on modern troubles, I so agree about just changing parts and not finding the cause of failure. On Monday Dell are coming to fit the fifth new hard drive on my computer of only 1 year old. Just slide out the old and slip in the new. Why the endless failures: 'dunno mate'!

OP
S

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
A letter is now on its way to MB due to the dealer's mis-handling of the refund process. They have managed to screw that up too. Suffice to say, we've had it with MB. Thanks for all your replies.

Reaction score
Well Stumpy, you may be interested to hear that I have my car back from a B service at Tony Perslow in Guildford. They bought it back at about 5pm last night in the dark. I've just had a look at it for the first time in the daylight and there is a scratch in the paint pretty much the whole length of the bonnet!!!!! :sad:

I have just tried calling them (09:50) and there answer phone is on saying they are closed and I should call back during office hours.

I'm sure they will say it was there before they picked it up but it damn well wasn't.

I'm waiting for the service manager to call me back (phoned TP in Basingstoke). I'll let you know what they say.

Reaction score
Well, I just had a call from a very apologetic service manager at TP and they have said that what ever is wrong with the car they will put it right, even if they need to re-spray the bonnet (which would be nice as I can get rid of some of those stone chips). I've just had the guy that cleans our company cars take a look and he reckons it will polish out anyway.

TP also said that they should have done the plugs and filters and apologised for that too and said that some of the service guys are still a little too cautious about what service plus covers.

He also confirmed that Service Plus would cover the cruise control, radio and remote locking problems.

So, as long as they are prepared to put things right I'm happy to keep using them. Amazing what a difference a poilte call can make.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well, I just had a call from a very apologetic service manager at TP and they have said that what ever is wrong with the car they will put it right, even if they need to re-spray the bonnet (which would be nice as I can get rid of some of those stone chips). I've just had the guy that cleans our company cars and he reckons it will polish out anyway.

TP also said that they should have done the plugs and filters and apologised for that too and said that some of the service guys are still a little too cautious about what service plus covers.

He also confirmed that Service Plus would cover the cruise control, radio and remote locking problems.

So, as long as they are prepared to put things right I'm happy to keep using them. Amazing what a difference a poilte call can make.

So glad for you that they are doing the scratch. Keep us posted on Service Plus: it really looks as good or better than it says on the tin. To summarise all that has been said on various threads and your experience it really looks as though it is a full service and maintenance contract PLUS it is an extended warranty on almost everything.

I hope the way TP have handled your case confirms my impression that the pressure from Mercedes on dealers to improve -and from customers and the Press- is at last really beginning to work.

Reaction score
their service department is shut for stock taking today so they are going to call back on Monday. They are working between X-mas and the New Year (unlike us - our company shuts down for the x-mas period) so hopefully they'll squeeze it in then.

So far Service Plus looks like a very good option.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom