Mercedes Legendry service strikes again

Reaction score
spoken as a person who has obviously never owned one. The build quality of an Audi FAR exceeds that of a Merc; the ride in my 1999 A6 was far better than my 2003 Merc; and if the badge is all you are worried about then you obvioulsy have deeper issues.

Hawk, as a person that likes to quote serveys you will notice Audi is usualy way above Merc in JD Powers and if you want reviews look in Top Gear to see how they consider the build quality to be the best of the german execs.

Reviews in What Car have put the A6 above the E-Class

It is evident that you dont like Audi's, which is fair enough, but if I use serveys and reports (your own yard stick) you seem to be in a minority.

for proof, check the results on what car http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/134555246.jpg the E-class comes in at 2 stars out of 5 and the Audi A6 at 4.

in JD Powers http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/134555445.jpg the Audi A6 comes in at 32nd and the E-class comes in at 95th.

btw, Audi dont offer a 30 year rust warrantee, they don't have to. Unlike Mercs, Audi's dont rust. They also dont need suspension parts replacing at 25k miles.

Stumpy, personally I don't like surveys as they are very easily fixed, I use them here as they are a favoured tool of Hawks for proving a point. All I am saying is that if the Dealer has p'd you off there are alternatives such as other makes (where you will get a lot more for your money) or pre-owned (where you will also get a lot more for your money).

Last edited:
OP
S

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
We've had an A6 before. Great car but forever in the dealers and sold it eventually as it had an engine starting issue which they couldn't fix. The dealers are just as bad as MB. For the record, I think the build quality on the new A6 seems superb (better than the E), but for me, the front and the size put me off. I am not a badge junkie - we had a Skoda Octavia for a while recently.

This car is replacing another estate car of ours for which I'm sure it will be great, if I ever get that far. An SL would be nice, but you can't put a sofa in the back.

Reaction score
I must have been lucky then. Put 160k on it but had very few problems. I agree that the "goatee" styling is not to everyone's taste.

oh well,just a suggestion. Lke I say, keep us informed. Good luck

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
spoken as a person who has obviously never owned one. The build quality of an Audi FAR exceeds that of a Merc; the ride in my 1999 A6 was far better than my 2003 Merc; and if the badge is all you are worried about then you obvioulsy have deeper issues.

Having also owned both - yes the quality is very similar. I wouldn't say either had the edge. I've had problems with both and I've had lots of trouble free mileage with both too. The A6 isn't any better built than the E, but neither is it any worse.
In any case, we don't buy cars solely for their build quality. Even a slightly dodgy model will be trouble free most of the time. I fell out with my 210 for a while when a problem cropped up and was proving elusive. Do I condemn the entire model for poorly constructed plug leads? Hardly. I don't condemn Audi for a failed angine at 60 miles either. Most of the time, it put a smile on my face, and that's what it's all about. There are miriads of other reasons for choosing a car, from financial to technical and if we are honest, emotional.
Sure, the A6 is better than the E at a,b,c and the E is better at d,e,f. It's whatever floats your boat!

Personally, I think the 211 is the nicest looking saloon on the road today. I also think they've gone backwards with the facelift, but not too badly and I guess they had to do something, if just to show willing. I'm not sold on the look of the A6 (as you say - goatee). I also don't like the bland interior of the 5 series when put against the wood, chrome and leather of the 211. I'd actually consider an S type jag in preference to either. It has the luxury and presence and whilst not in the looks league of the E, it's agening reasonably well and is very good value!

Reaction score
Nicely put Jberks, and I do agree with everything you say. My A6 was much better bolted together than my C-class but then they are not really like for like. As you say the A6 should really be compared to the E-class and I have not had one of those so I can't compare, other than relying on surveys which I don't like to do.

I do like my Merc, despite it's failings. I still find excuses to drive it. All I was saying is that if MB have let stumpy down then there are alternatives. It just got rather a heated response. I also believe there are genuine alternatives to MB athough it is obvious some are so passionate about their cars they aren't prepared to look beyond the bonnet badge. As I have said before, this is an MB forum not a fan site. If we didn't point out the failings of our cars as well as the successes it would be very boring for most of us.

btw, been in quite a lot of s-type jags and they dont feel as good as they look IMO. They feel a bit like they have been built for the American market where they have all teh toys but not much in teh way of substance. I very nearly bought one (my bosses) but plumbed for the Merc instead. Mind you he has a new limited edition sport one now that feels much better bolted together than the previous one he had.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Just to put the record straight, the E class finished better than all but one model of Audi in the 2006 JD Power survey (not a perfect survey but probably the best survey available).

This is from an earlier thread:
Lexus and Honda did best in the list of all models but it is noteworthy how close the marks are from 10th to 40th. Just to cheer ourselves up here are some rankings in the table of all models. Out of 104 cars reported on by thousands of owners the E class finished 28th (just behind the Audi A4 and the Toyota Celica and the C class came 32nd just ahead of the Audi A3 and the Audi A6 and the VW Golf. Both Mercedes were well ahead of the BMW 5 series at 45th and well ahead of the Nissan Primera (56th=) and the Mazda MX5 (56=) and way ahead of the BMW Z4 (74th) and the AUDI TT ( a lowly 78th). Bringing up the rear from 100 to 105th place were three Fords, a Peugeot and the Land Rover Discovery.

So Mercs may not be the most reliable but the improvements are coming through for all to see and this year they beat some surprising competitors - none I imagine more satisfying than beating the BMW 5 series and Z4 as well as all but one of the Audi models.

Here are the links: -
http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-...aspx?NA=220291
http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/8666102471.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think it is wrong to talk stumpy out of a MB, you arive in an MB,in the others you get there.

Malcolm

Reaction score
It was never my intention to talk him out of buying an MB, after all I own one and I'm relatively happy with it. My point was just that if he feels MB have let him down there are very worthy alternatives other than just accepting the situation as it is or waiting ages for another one.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was never my intention to talk him out of buying an MB, after all I own one and I'm relatively happy with it. My point was just that if he feels MB have let him down there are very worthy alternatives other than just accepting the situation as it is or waiting ages for another one.

I know that omni :D , there is not really that much out there that comes anywhere near what he bought, the 17 weeks will soon pass,and it will be a later model.

Malcolm

Reaction score
television said:
the 17 weeks will soon pass,and it will be a later model.

Malcolm

lets just hope they are a little more careful with the next one. Stumpy, how would you feel if after waiting 17 weeks you get a call from the garage "I have some bad news about your new car Mr Stumpy.........." no, lets not even go there.:shock:

BarryG

Reaction score
Dont you just love "Forums" amongst all the waffle (Mostly mine it has to be said ) Loads of useful information. Thanks guys.
Barry

BarryG

Reaction score
waffle ! How dare you sir :shock:

right, here is a 64 page essay on why I don't waffle.......

Malcolm already mailed it to me:p

As for you point about buying a slightly older car, I agree, but I think that stumpy may have a job finding one a few months old with all his extras. Plus he may want that "new car" feeling:D
I know i will not being getting that feeling unless I win the lottery.:Oops:
Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BarryG said:
Malcolm already mailed it to me:p

As for you point about buying a slightly older car, I agree, but I think that stumpy may have a job finding one a few months old with all his extras. Plus he may want that "new car" feeling:D
I know i will not being getting that feeling unless I win the lottery.:Oops:
Barry
Barry, you never knows whats waiting around the corner. When I came back from Sweden,! could just manage to pay for this house, owing to zero inflation on Swedish houses, OK I had the 1928 RR that had taken 17 years and 3 wives to restore, but that was not going to give me a pension much beyond the OAP.
On a visit to a local tip,I saw this TV, and bought it for £3.00 took it home to fix, bearing in mind it had been 35 years since I last saw the inside of one. I fixed it and sold it for £65. Within weeks I was going to tips within a 50 mile radius buying everyone I could. Over the next 10 years I bought and sold more than 3000 sets from £50 to £250, I gave 12 months guarantee on all of them. Last year I realized that I had worked to much so I bought the SL for a little fun before I snuff it.

Malcolm

Reaction score
I was just trying to do the sums, but my brain started leaking. Basically that seems to be rather a lot!

If you marry Hannah, can you adopt me as your son? I promise to have the car back by midnight at the weekends dad.;)

mind you, I may then end up having "unnatural" thoughs about my new step mum.... :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was just trying to do the sums, but my brain started leaking. Basically that seems to be rather a lot!

If you marry Hannah, can you adopt me as your son? I promise to have the car back by midnight at the weekends dad.;)

mind you, I may then end up having "unnatural" thoughs about my new step mum.... :(
I will help out with the sums.

(3000 x 50) / 10

and

(3000 x 250) / 10

which is a low of £15k p.a and a high of £75K p.a Gross. So somewhere between those two extremes.

as for the unnatural thoughts, I would have thought they would be natural or were you thinking of Malcolm :confused:

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
as for the unnatural thoughts, I would have thought they would be natural or were you thinking of Malcolm :confused:

er, no....not that unnatural, although he does have a nice car.....:rolleyes:

although I forgot the dividing by 10 bit, which is why I got a little excited. When divided by 10 it's still nice but not "woohoo" nice. Were you paying TAX on that Malcolm?

Last edited:

G-FORCE

Reaction score
I am longstanding mercedes customer - on my 7th now ( S350 )
i can personally recomendthe dealer near me SG Mercedes in Bridgend S wales - I know its abit of a journey but their service is second to none. I had bad experience with Greenoaks in Surrey but excellent from a dealer in Maidstone. It definately pays to travel sometimes. Check out the web site. Speak with Jamie Trollop at SG Bridgend

Current: S350 & C180 Elegance & Honda VFR750
Previous: ML320CDI Sport, E320CDI, ML430, E280, E280, Lexus GS300( only kept 6 weeks), E280,

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for that. It's a good point Stumpy, it may be worth trying a dealer that has been recommended and see if they can get you a car a bit quicker. I'm sure they can have the car delivered. You can then have it serviced somewhere closer. Give 'em a call and see what they say.

trouble is, or course, I've always found Tony Purslow to be good so the guys in Wales may not be any better for you. Having said that, I have only ever dealt with the service department at TP not the sales guys, and they tend to be a very different breed.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom