Mercedes Legendry service strikes again

Reaction score
But I think in this case we are talking about a dent in a very difficult place to mend rather than a few scrathches or dings in the door.

I'm sure it could be made to "look" new but I don't think that's really the point. Stumpy would still know that it had been repaired and that's not really the feeling you'd want from your new £50k pride and joy. Well I wouldn't anyway.

bitonw

Reaction score
Website
www.bit4net.com
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
But I think in this case we are talking about a dent in a very difficult place to mend rather than a few scrathches or dings in the door.

I'm sure it could be made to "look" new but I don't think that's really the point. Stumpy would still know that it had been repaired and that's not really the feeling you'd want from your new £50k pride and joy. Well I wouldn't anyway.

Sorry, but I saw them changing whole panels, doors, hoods etc etc too! What my point is that I was very surprised about the jobs and amount of cars they (workshop of Walon Bristol Docs /Avonmouth area) did.

And it doesn't matter if it's an £50k car. For some one else an £20k car can be his / hers pride and joy.

I fully understand that if you are about to collect your car and it has a dent or what ever damage you will be ****ed off! More that the dealer should have fixed on forehand or do an excellent after sales job and sort it out or give you your money back. A good sales man never ever is going in discussion about this, customer is king. Cars are being transported all over the place and accidents can happen...

JonFB

Reaction score
Reference Last Nights posts

and for Christmas I want Bruce's big book of "how to win friends and influence people".

...The point of a forum, as I see it, is to discuss things and get other people's opinions (and occasionally have a laugh).

...and I also think others have every right to agree (or disagree) with him without a torrent of abuse for doing so.

As per, I just want to stick my oar in, agree with Omni's comments above and say WHY do some people get so worked up on here? (Unless it was due to the time of day or maybe one too many empty cans of Stella by the keyboard :rolleyes: ).

If you keep the analogy that this forum is like a conversation at the bar in your local pub, then maybe we might all get on a little bit more.

Any maybe some people wouldn't go maverick on us and get all argumentative.

Must dash, off to audition for Mr Grumpy in Cromer Piers production of Sleeping Beauty and the seven dwarfs.

:Oops: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've found £1.49 so I'm off to buy 8 Ace.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Difficult one. We all feel sorry for Stumpy as he saw the dent and whichever mechanic prepared the car did not see it -or didn't report it. However, BruceL is right and others too, that there must be lots of cars receiving damage in delivery and getting put right without us as buyers seeing the damage or being told about it. I don't know what the law is here but it would be interesting to know exactly what it says. There must be an article in Which or What Car or somewhere?

The good news is that Stumpy has a 30 year rust guarantee under MobiloLife (T&C apply). I have always been stunned by how brilliant top body shops are at doing repairs so that they are all but invisible.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
hawk20 said:
Difficult one. We all feel sorry for Stumpy as he saw the dent and whichever mechanic prepared the car did not see it -or didn't report it. However, BruceL is right and others too, that there must be lots of cars receiving damage in delivery and getting put right without us as buyers seeing the damage or being told about it. I don't know what the law is here but it would be interesting to know exactly what it says. There must be an article in Which or What Car or somewhere?

The good news is that Stumpy has a 30 year rust guarantee under MobiloLife (T&C apply). I have always been stunned by how brilliant top body shops are at doing repairs so that they are all but invisible.
Sorry Hawk you are not right in all that you say, you are not a practical type, and by this I am not being rude or putting you down, you do not have a trained eye for looking for damaged area's, some people do and others do not. For a start it depends on the colour of the car,for certain colour's the whole side of the car will have to be re painted. As I said earlier in the thread,new paint does not adhere as well as the original and is easy to chip, blending is not an option with modern paints. A good example is that if you get damage in a car park from say a door, with the original paint the will be a little ding, on a re painted surface the new paint will come off. In a showroom or workshop under artificial light is no way to veiw the repair, not in the rain either, viewed in sunlight will show most repair work up.

The point of law is simple, any new artical should be free of damage, and that's it. Would Mrs Hawk accept a new 3 piece suite with a hole in it, would you accept a new dining table with a lump out of it.

I wish that I was not so fussy in these matters.
I can put up some photo's of re painted doors to show the point.

Malcolm

OP
S

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Guys, I am grateful for all of your inputs on this, and it has helped my thought processes along a bit. Please don't add to my disappointment by allowing this thread to become another excuse for name calling and put-downs. As has been said already, we're all entitled to our opinions based on our experiences.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
television said:
Sorry Hawk you are not right in all that you say, you are not a practical type, and by this I am not being rude or putting you down, you do not have a trained eye for looking for damaged area's, some people do and others do not. For a start it depends on the colour of the car,for certain colour's the whole side of the car will have to be re painted. As I said earlier in the thread,new paint does not adhere as well as the original and is easy to chip, blending is not an option with modern paints. A good example is that if you get damage in a car park from say a door, with the original paint the will be a little ding, on a re painted surface the new paint will come off. In a showroom or workshop under artificial light is no way to veiw the repair, not in the rain either, viewed in sunlight will show most repair work up.

The point of law is simple, any new artical should be free of damage, and that's it. Would Mrs Hawk accept a new 3 piece suite with a hole in it, would you accept a new dining table with a lump out of it.

I wish that I was not so fussy in these matters.
I can put up some photo's of re painted doors to show the point.

Malcolm

I am not sure what point you think I was making, which you think is wrong. First, I'm saying many cars must be damaged and repaired before their owner sees them and some must be unaware of this.

Second the thirty year rust guarantee and that I'm amazed how well top body shops do repairs so that to me at least they are all but invisible.

Thirdly, I wondered if anyone knows an article giving the law on this. I imagine, as you say, that you can refuse to take a product if it is damaged, but would the court accept that a good repair makes the product not damaged? I've no idea; hence my query. In my experience the law is rarely as simple as one would either hope or expect.

I don't mean to give the impression that Stumpy should be happy about this sad situation. Or that he should take the car. No idea what I would do. Probably get very annoyed. Susan would definitely throw a serious wobbler!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hawk20 said:
Second the thirty year rust guarantee and that I'm amazed how well top body shops do repairs so that to me at least they are all but invisible.

!

For what the eyes do not see,the heart will not bleed.

Malcolm

Reaction score
stumpy said:
Guys, I am grateful for all of your inputs on this, and it has helped my thought processes along a bit. Please don't add to my disappointment by allowing this thread to become another excuse for name calling and put-downs. As has been said already, we're all entitled to our opinions based on our experiences.

that's fine Stumpy. As you are no doubt aware we occasionally like a nice bit of name calling on this forum, just adds to the fun ;)

In my opinion it's been a very interesting thread. If for no other reason to see peoples opinions on this kind of thing.I would have thought it was very clear cut but then it seems I may have a slightly to "black and white" view on things.

Please keep us informed as I'd be keen to know how it all pans out.

Shambolic

Reaction score
I think what he is getting at is, if the dealer had noticed and repaired dent before car was shown to Stumpy, then he would have been non the wiser and would have went on his merry way.
But as he was shown (or noticed ) damage it has taken the shine of buying the new car whether 10K or 50K I know I would feel the same and be a bit pi**ed off about it!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shambolic said:
I think what he is getting at is, if the dealer had noticed and repaired dent before car was shown to Stumpy, then he would have been non the wiser and would have went on his merry way.
But as he was shown (or noticed ) damage it has taken the shine of buying the new car whether 10K or 50K I know I would feel the same and be a bit pi**ed off about it!!

Thank you Shambolic, you have said it in a nut shell;)

Malcolm

Shambolic

Reaction score
Do I get a Diamond award for plain speaking then Bruce for not useing acronyms or abreviations then!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Shambolic

Reaction score
BTW, Shambolic, nice post IMO

TTFN

WTY
kind sir!!!

Just thought of two for those initials!!!!!
It is Why Thank You
Not Way To F*ck!!!!!

Thats the problem with acronyms

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when I say that the new paint does not stick as well as the original, the photo below was caused by a mains plug that swung agianst the side of the car,not hard,just a tap. Every time I wash the car,i know it is there,and I am reminded that it has been re finnished and I look for more marks, I do not think about it when doing the other side. I cant do anything about my car, but Stumpy can.

isnt it like marrying a sweet young thing, and a couple of years down the line,you find out she was a hooker, when a little more research would have shown it up from the start, Some folk would mind,some would not.

Malcolm

Attachments

• new folder4 031.jpg
    new folder4 031.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
television said:
isnt it like marrying a sweet young thing, and a couple of years down the line,you find out she was a hooker, when a little more research would have shown it up from the start, Some folk would mind,some would not.

Malcolm

i'm interested in more details on the "research" necessary....:grin:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i'm interested in more details on the "research" necessary....:grin:
Have it examined by an expert or someone that understands these things.:cool:

Malcolm

Top Bottom