Mercedes now charging to sit down!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What I wonder John are they trying to achieve with this? Are MB customers really taken in and persuaded to buy? Or is it that I'm just too old to see what's going on ? You occasionally see the sneers and daggers looks from girlfriends when said staff are chatting to boyfriends - funny.
I think in general it seems MB are targeting the younger (possibly) maybe more gullible customers - PCP deals etc etc....its not just MB of course but they have to sell metal. I have no issues looking but of course all comes at a price!

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I always phone to book and the first time I did, they tried to tell me it was £50 for a courtesy car, to which I replied 'Fair enough, I won't be coming to you for the service'. All of a sudden the loan car was free and they were happy to negotiate the service cost.

To be fair, I had the same issue with VW 5 years ago and they ended up giving me a letter saying 'this customer doesn't pay for loan cars'.

Like all businesses, they try it on, but I can't help but feel it puts a lot of people off even owning a MB. I leased a 5 series about 10 years ago through work and when it went back they tried to charge over £800 for valeting and unnecessary repairs (paint chips etc.). We never paid it and I've never looked at BMW since. Sharp practices are not what you want to be known for.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
My insurer quotes £160 for European (incl. UK) Breakdown cover so I reckon thats equivalent to Mobilo.
Free Drop & Go, go outside, come back then wander round the showroom while waiting for car to be ready.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My insurer quotes £160 for European (incl. UK) Breakdown cover so I reckon thats equivalent to Mobilo.
Free Drop & Go, go outside, come back then wander round the showroom while waiting for car to be ready.
nationwide do an account that you can have as a joint one , that gives "free uk/European " cover provided you meet certain balance /pay in targets .

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I wonder if they'd charge if you stood outside the showroom.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Those chairs ‘n’ that coffee don’t come free yanno!

That’s outrageous. Next they’ll charge extra to be seen by the top level hottie on reception.

“£15 to be greeted by a 10 score brunette, or for free our homely mousetrap blonde”...

What will the £50 option be - yes please :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^ That 722.9 ATF change is £200 at an indy!
Exactly !! And that includes the Torque converter as well , which some main dealers don't forget if there is not a TC drain plug .

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
With a value service you do lose Mobilo but you will lose that anyway depending on age of your car. The charging model has been around for quite a while, thats why when you ask for a service price thay ask if you want a loan car, pickup and drop off, etc, its so they charge the correct price.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
nationwide do an account that you can have as a joint one , that gives "free uk/European " cover provided you meet certain balance /pay in targets .

It's not technically free though. You have to pay monthly for the account (my folks have the same acct).

I have free cover amongst other benefits with my bank acct. But i do pay a monthly premium for the acct.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
That’s shocking! What a marketing faux pas
I’m equally shocked they will charge you £50 for a day’s car hire, and equally £50 for the collect option.
This will put a huge smile on the Independants faces when they see this!
So glad I got a service plan- wonder how much effort they’ll make in trying to push me to ‘drop and go’?;)

Getting people to buy service plans is exactly the "scam" behind these absurd costs - it makes the plan look like a good deal. I can't replicate this now so I might have messed up somehow, but I checked the B Service price on a 2yr old GLC 250d for someone and it was over £900. :shock:

To be fair, when I used MB Chester (before the moved to Cheshire Oaks) I have never paid for a courtesy car as the charge always used to be just for the insurance excess and my own insurance covers me. But last time I went they put it on their insurance free and said they'd done away with excess.

They were also pretty good at negotiating prices although as the car got older the prices they listed (bear in mind MyService can have different prices for every dealer) were pretty attractive - my last B service base cost was £249.

Interesting point about indie pricing - these charges have been in place for years, they're not new. It's my impression that indies have moved up their service pricing in response. Not just MB, I've seen it on our VW as well - indeed the VW indie is dearer on a lot of routine jobs such as service and cam belt changes than the dealer. However I wouldn't use VW Chester if they did it free.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
I hope Cole's not watching this thread - I've got my car booked in with him on Monday and this might be giving him ideas :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's not technically free though. You have to pay monthly for the account (my folks have the same acct).

I have free cover amongst other benefits with my bank acct. But i do pay a monthly premium for the acct.
True , it's not ( I had put the free bit in inverted commas ) but all charges considered I found it the cheapest way for me to cover European and Uk breakdown .
You are right there is a monthly fee , but the account interest offsets this somewhat and with the family holiday travel cover as well it is worth looking at .

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
True , it's not ( I had put the free bit in inverted commas ) but all charges considered I found it the cheapest way for me to cover European and Uk breakdown .
You are right there is a monthly fee , but the account interest offsets this somewhat and with the family holiday travel cover as well it is worth looking at .

Sorry i wasn't meaning to sound obtuse. I have a Natwest Black account and with all the benefits i get with that it's well worth the monthly fee.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Sorry i wasn't meaning to sound obtuse. I have a Natwest Black account and with all the benefits i get with that it's well worth the monthly fee.

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on! ;) ;) :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will take a look at that Natwest account , I have no loyalty to the Nationwide account it was just the best at the time when I left Mobilio and wanted a European cover .
Always looking for good Uk/EU breakdown cover that doesn't break the bank . ( Might start a seperate Thread ? )

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mother of God !!! Just read the account entry requirements , if I had that money I wouldn't need to "shop around " :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom