More 'Tyre' recommendations please.

Omega

Reaction score
I'm almost ready for a pair of tyres for the front.

I am replacing Michelin Primacy's.

The last time I looked into this, I saw someone on this (or similar MB forum) recommending Marangoni's. He thought they were a good all round transaction - so I tried a pair on the rear.
After looking around, I decided to try mytyres. I was due to go away for a week or so, so thought I'd get 'em before I went. I called mytyres and asked - point blank - if they had two tyres right there to send out immediately. They said "YES. They are here in the UK". I ordered a pair.

They never did arrive before I went away,,,, or indeed whilst I was away,,,, or for another couple of weeks after that. In that time I sent 7 emails asking about delivery, ALL of which were ignored. When the tyres did arrive,,,, they'd come from Germany !

Luckily I wasn't desperate when I ordered, otherwise I’d have been livid. As it was, I’d made arrangements with a neighbour to take them in whilst I was away, so he had to wait around on my behalf. Of course I couldn’t settle whilst away & kept calling the neighbour to enquire about the status. In the end – nothing.

As my emails never did get replies, I wrote to the M.D of mytyres, asking why I was lied to and if he expected me to shop there again. You guessed it – he didn’t reply.
This isn’t ambiguous – they told me a downright lie – use at your peril.

I had the tyres fitted locally. What immediately struck me is that they seem quite ‘narrow’ compared with the same size Michelins. I had intended to swap these with the front ones, but on the way home from the fitters, I noticed that they did lose traction a few times. I put this down to them being shiny new/polished rubber and thought that they’d settle down after a bit of scuffing. To be honest, I think they might have settled down just a teensy bit, but still sometimes lose traction when pulling away. It’s long time since I was a boy racer (a hell of a long time) & do drive quite sedately. I decided not to put ‘em on the front.

I’ve just done 2000 miles on ‘em and checked them this morning. To be truthful, I can’t say that they are wearing fast or slow yet. I didn’t measure the tread depth at new – a thing that I intend to do on the next ones – just to monitor wear.

Because of the lack of traction now & then, I won’t be using Marangoni’s on the front,,,, sooooo,,, whilst not wanting the cheapest rubber, I don’t want to pay over the odds just for a brand name.
What’s the current consensus of reasonably priced tyres ?

If I remember right, either the UK DoT - or globally – was going to change in tyre law or manufacturing standards. Any news on that ?

Cheers all

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
There asre a couple of threads running on this very subject and it might be best to do a search and I am sure you will get all the low down - KUMHO TYRES seem to a great favourite having some excellent and positive feedback.

Roger

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As above really. Running on Khumos myself, though the prices have crept up a bit over the last year or so. Invitable really, they were cheap because they were unknown. As they're selling like hot cakes I guess they can get away with it.
Worth checking prices from Costco and kwickfit (they do some good online deals on bigger brands) and the savings do depend greatly on what sizes you are running on.

On the 'thinner' aspect - new tyres often are. The tread tends to be wider the higher up the carcass you are, so worn tyres are effectively wider than new ones.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
A bit of a quandry for you.

If you buy two new tyres with good grip, particularly in the wet, and fit them to the front, you will end up with the unenviable situation of having a car likely to oversteer rather too easily.
Apart from that the fitter will probably insist on putting the two new tyres on the rear, which is normal practice...correct in my humble with a RWD car.

To be honest i've never heard anyone recommend Marangoni's, though that's not to say they are inferior in any way.

Are they prone to wheelspin when cold, but get better as they warm up...this was the case with highly recommended Goodyear F1's and why i sold them on as part worns.

Not being funny, but have you checked the pressures, the fitter hasn't bunged 40psi in has he, wouldn't be the first time or the first knackered gauge at the tyre shops.

Always found Mytyres to be very quick with delivery, roughly 3 or 4 days from Germany is usual.

gilbert121262

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s350cdiL w221
Would you put cheap £2 oil in your engine, if not why put cheap £2 tyres on your car. They will save your life one day

530kam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C180K SE/ E60 530d M Sport
Falken 912's and 452's are excellent tyres - i have them on my 530d M Sport and plan to put the same on my wifes W204 at some stage.
Another option are the Kumho KU-31's - had them on my Ford Focus (don't laugh) and they were excellent

HTH

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
Sorry can you unlock the code for me - CS3 MO - CS5P MO ?

Continental Sport Contact 3

Continental Sport 5 P

MO !? No idea what that is :)

kamalpatel12448

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W204 (2008) and C240 W202 (1999)
Sorry, should have been clearer. Sticking with these on the C63, do run the Primacy on the W202 C240.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Another vote for Falken 912's from me. Not sure why anyone would pay £130+ for one of the big names when these are just as good at £85 each.

A third of the cost for Conti's & Michelins etc must be for their advertising budget, their performance does not warrant the extra money over the Falkens.

Russ

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
Falken 912
225/50 R15 V (91) £84.96/each

245/40 R17 W (91) £99.71/each

Yup, not bad at all.

I do have a question. My previous set of rubbers were ContisS2, existing ones are ContisS3. Apparently all reviews for CS2 are "better" than CS3 ?
From my personal experience I cannot see a huge difference in quality between the two.

Cs2 are more expensive. Why ?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Hancook anyone? these seem now to be considered 'Premium' quality and are fitted as OE to many makes - best price I have been quoted is £101 fitted

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
MO = Mercedes Original

"Our "MO" (Mercedes Original) mark on the tyre gives you the assurance they are tailored specifically for your car."

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...wnership/maintenance/genuine_parts/tyres.html

Surely they have been chosen because they meet or exceed the all important price structure at the same time meeting the manufactures spec - that is why Michelin, Conti's etc etc are standard on many new cars - they all have to be very very competitive as an OE supplier.

Sounds a tad cynical I know but my past experience in 'purchasing' OE for a manufacture tells me that when all things are equal PRICE is the deal breaker.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just posted the link as a quick explanation of what 'MO' means as expressed by MB

I spoke with a well respected tyre fitter/ geometry expert about 'MO' and his opinion is they are those tyres from a production batch that meet MB's strict criteria for run-out, concentricity and various other metrics.

I think it is no bad thing to be cynical sometimes..

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I also seem to remember someone saying that MO (and other OEM versions) had a slightly different compound. Probably slightly softer to give a nicer ride on new and demo cars.
Bottom line though, most of us find the differences, if they do exist are so slight as to be imperceptible to the average driver. 95% of grip, ride and handling will be identical between all but the worst brands, the extra 5% will vary anyway so one may have better wet grip but only at the cost of one of the other aspects, probably dry grip etc.
Its all compromise and whilst the cheaper brands may be slightly inferior, chances are they're actually better than the premium brands from 2 years ago.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Its all compromise and whilst the cheaper brands may be slightly inferior, chances are they're actually better than the premium brands from 2 years ago.

Having spent a considerable time now 'looking' etc I would support the a above statement indeed many of the 'Budget' tyres of yesteryear are today's 'Mid-range' tyres and so it goes - hence my question about Hankook tyres which started life as 'Budget' then 'Mid-range' and now (allegedly) are 'Premium' unless of course it is all an industry 'fix':rolleyes:

Turbo Merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi
I am deeply skeptical about following any brand (not just tyres, anything) as I know most reputations are just the result of marketing hype, but I think Conti's are the best tyres I have ever had on a car; I swear by Conti Sports.

You are putting your life on the line, literally, with tyres. My driving style ranges from steady Eddy to 'no way are you going to beat me' (I am trying to grow up honestly!) so they get all kinds of use. Ok, so they cost a little more than the cheaper brands but when you work out how long they will last it does not seem too bad.

IMHO most half decent tyres will work fine in the dry, but it is when the weather turns nasty that you will notice the difference. I always put the new tyres on the front of my car - assuming there is a significant difference between front and back - as it is the front tyres that take most of the braking and cornering forces and have to clear the rain away first etc.

At the end of the day, no matter how much research you do it is of course just a matter of personal choice. Safe driving.

Turbo Merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi
p.s. I meant to say that when I ordered the Conti's for my E class, I gave the chap the sizes over the phone and he immediately said "is that a Mercedes?" I said it was and asked him what made him ask that? He said he recognised the size and explained that there was a special one for Merc's; the MOs mentioned above. He supplied them at no extra cost. He is a long established independent tyre fitter who I have used for many years and he recommended the MOs. Good enough for me.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom