More 'Tyre' recommendations please.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
WARNING:

Before putting the pair of Verso's on the rear, I contacted Marangoni to ask about the suitability for my car.
They said (para) “they are perfect for your car”.
Mytyres supply them, so I asked if they had a pair in stock, ready for immediate delivery - they said Yes, so I ordered them.
Despite them saying yes – they took 3 weeks to arrive.

As in my original post, I have never been satisfied with them. It got to the point where I didn’t look forward to going out if the roads / weather were anything but perfect.

In 45 years of driving all sorts of cars, I have never felt like that over tyres before. Its many a year since I was a ‘boy racer’, and as I don’t like buying tyres, brakes, petrol etc, I drive accordingly.

In my opinion, these tyres are a death-trap. I had to get ‘em off the car. After a bit of research, I went for a pair of Uniroyal Rainsports. The difference was immediate and superb.
So far, they haven’t lost grip - in any weather - at all.

I contacted Marangoni again to give them my opinion, only to be told; (para) "as you didn't get 'em from kwikfit, we don't give a damn".

Although I can’t find anywhere that states it – apparently they only offer a guarantee if we buy them, and have them fitted by, the more expensive kwikfit.

My opinion; if you really must buy these garbage tyres:
1/ don’t believe Mytyres when they say they have ‘em in stock,
2/ if you want ‘em to carry any warranty, pay the higher price charged by Kwikfit, rather than shop-around.

Me ? Never again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you for that Omega, there are many tyres that I have never heard of.

My tyres are a German outfit I think, but that still means that Kwikfit are selling rubbish with this brand. Tyre sold now days have to display the performance I will try and read the label on one the next time that I am out.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
I had never heard of them before either - the only reason that I considered them at all, was because a Mercedes driver recommended them. I did a bit of research, and of course, the blurb was great. But I learned the hard way.

Having said that, I had never heard of Vredestein either. Again, after reading a Mercedes driver on about them, I thought I’d give them a try. This time – I’m glad I did.
So far (2/3000 miles) they have been great. Great wear, good grip, super feel back to the driver.
When putting Uniroyals on the rear, I slightly considered putting on a full set, but as the Vredesteins are extremely good, I decided to stick with ‘em this time.

Talking of unknown tyres, I did most of my research when looking for something for my E220 (124) some years ago.
Although Coopers had been used in racing for a while, they were just hitting the domestic market in the States. I can’t recall the price, but I do recall thinking they seemed a little cheap - but after lots of reading I decided to try a set.
I’m glad I did. They were superb, all round. Unfortunately, they didn’t stay ‘cheap’ for very long. After about 18 months, they were up amongst the mid/high price range. I think they settled down a bit now.

At that time, I came across a list of ‘wear’ tables. I was surprised to see that the worse ones were Pirelli’s – a great tyre in all other aspects, but not wear wise.
The tables were also talking about average tyres lasting around 40,000 miles (subjective use).
I’ve never seen so many tyres giving less than half that as I do these days.

Which markings do you need to know on the death-traps – sorry – Marangoni’s ? I still have them in my shed.

Baz

PS: Is there a market for 123 series items ? I have a set of rear headrests & dog guard - virtually brand new - in green.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All tyres must display the wet and dry handling, the tyre wear and noise plus more,,, its like the labels you see on freezers and washing machines.

I agree with the pirreli tyre and a very low mileage figure.

Pop the 123 bits on Ebay

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
All tyres must display the wet and dry handling, the tyre wear and noise plus more,y

BTW, magazines tester measured also those labeled things;
Goodyear Wet Grip A, measured B
Nokian Wet Grip A, measured B
Pirelli Wet Grip B, measured A
Hankook Wet Grip A, measured B
Michelin Wet Grip A, measured B
Barum Wet Grip C, measured B, Rolling friction E, measured C
Bridgestone Wet Grip B, measured C
Nankang Wet Grip B, measured C, Rolling friction C, measured E

other measurements were like announced by tyre manufacturer.

All measurements were done according the standards, but testers stated that there is still tolerances especially track measurements that may cause the result be in the range of the +- 1 class. Rolling friction measurement should be very accurate because done in the laboratory.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BTW, magazines tester measured also those labeled things;
Goodyear Wet Grip A, measured B
Nokian Wet Grip A, measured B
Pirelli Wet Grip B, measured A
Hankook Wet Grip A, measured B
Michelin Wet Grip A, measured B
Barum Wet Grip C, measured B, Rolling friction E, measured C
Bridgestone Wet Grip B, measured C
Nankang Wet Grip B, measured C, Rolling friction C, measured E

other measurements were like announced by tyre manufacturer.

All measurements were done according the standards, but testers stated that there is still tolerances especially track measurements that may cause the result be in the range of the +- 1 class. Rolling friction measurement should be very accurate because done in the laboratory.

I used to take "Teknikens Värld" mag when I lived in Sweden, the tyre test were good.

As can be seen by those figures, you cannot have good wet grip and a good rolling figure.

Also note the lesser known tyres have the poor wet grip.

Tazz666

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 320 w208
I have just bought some Altenzo's. They are priced at budget range but they are mor of a mid range and they have been getting a brilliant review as they have really good all round performance even better than some of the high end brands

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
All tyres must display the wet and dry handling, the tyre wear and noise plus more,,,

Treadwear - 360. Grip - AA.
I'll see how these compare to others.
Whatever it comes out as - means nothing till you use 'em.

Just to make a point (to myself) I have pushed these Uniroyals once or twice, especially where I lost grip previously, and they haven't let me down at all.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Don't talk to me about tyres ....

Costing me a fortune ....

I just want 4 decent tyres from a brand ... Going to stick to decent brands after my experience with the tyres I bought ..fortunately fully refunded but ....

I will either be Pirelli pzero or contis from now on ....

Don't care what anybody says about this make being good etc ...

==========================

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
My winter tyres are Pirelli Sottozeros and my summer tyres will be Conti SC 5s.......on the SL that is.

Mic

Last edited:

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Mytyres are indeed a german outfit, and are basically just a massive wholesaler/distributer. I have used then for several years mainly for motorcycle tyres, as they are almost always very cheap for a given tyre compared to other suppliers. Usually delivery is prompt - 1-3 days, but the tyres can come from a variety of places, so I guess it's slightly pot luck. A chum of mine used them for some winter tyres for his 4x4, and they were around 1/2 the UK price, and were ordered on-line Wed and arrived Fri.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
New Finnish Tekniikan Maailma winter tyre (without studs) test:
Michelin X-Ice XI3 7,6
Nokian Hakkap. R2 7,5
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 7,2
Pirelli IceControl 7,2
Continental ContiViking Cont.5 7,0
Vredestein NordTrack2 6,8
Debica Frigo2 6,6
Fulda Montero3 6,5

(best stud tyre was scoring 8,6 worst 6,9)

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Got Hankook Evo S12 on my MINI (OE fitment), and whilst they're great in the dry, I'm not overly convinced by them in the wet. Granted a lighter car than any Merc, and shorter wheelbase, but have found they don't handle water well.

A fairly new set of Conti Sports were on the CLS when I got it - seem to be doing ok at the moment. Tempted to look at Falkens when the time comes, or Uniroyal Rainsport.

andy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 c180k with sports pack
continental all the way for me..a bit more expensive but worth it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New Finnish Tekniikan Maailma winter tyre (without studs) test:
Michelin X-Ice XI3 7,6
Nokian Hakkap. R2 7,5
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 7,2
Pirelli IceControl 7,2
Continental ContiViking Cont.5 7,0
Vredestein NordTrack2 6,8
Debica Frigo2 6,6
Fulda Montero3 6,5

(best stud tyre was scoring 8,6 worst 6,9)

Thanks, I used to love my studied tyres other than the noise, so Michelin have done better than conti :D And the good old nokian high in the list

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I have found Nokians at a reasonable price for the CLS... They will be going on for winter, I was that impressed with the WR A3 on the W203!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have found Nokians at a reasonable price for the CLS... They will be going on for winter, I was that impressed with the WR A3 on the W203!

Winter in Plymouth, are you serious ;)

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here we go again, new Finnish Tekniikan Maailma summer tyre (205/55R16) test:

1. Continental ContiPremium Cont.5 9,5
2. Apollo Alnac 4G 9,2 :)confused::eek::eek:)
2. Nokian Hakka Blue 9,2
2. Pirelli Cinturato P7 9,2
5. Michelin Primacy 3 9,0
6. Dunlop Sport BlueResp. 8,9
6. Goodyear Eff.Grip Perform. 8,9
8. Hankook Ventus Prime2 8,8
8. Vredestein Sportrac5 8,8
10. Barum Bravuris3 8,6
10. Landsail LS288 8,6
12. Toyo Proxes CF2 8,4
13. BF Goodrich g-Grip 8,2
14. Hercules Raptis VR1 6,7

In addition they tested mid-european winter tyre Conti TS850 and north europen winter tyre Michelin X-Ice. Conti was bad in both braking tests, diveability both wet and dry, noise and comfort, but average in aquaplaning, rolling resistance and wet driving grip.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom