1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New mot rules

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by alexanderfoti, May 7, 2018.

1. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    Not sure. I've never been in that situation

I'll ask my tester next time I'm there

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I'll ask mine tomorrow. The Mini is going in for its annual ticket.

3. Ken_R

Ken_R Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 2006 C230 Estate
    We've had this discussion before. Reading through that link there is a lot of 'Journalistic interpretation' within the article. Whilst the Tests have been tightened up and the classifications altered, AFAIK, the primary Legislation has not been amended and little has changed in that respect.

If a vehicle was presented in a Dangerous Condition, then the penalty for such remains.

If presented early, and fails, the current MOT is still valid. There is nothing in the primary Legislation that allows for the duration of an MOT to be curtailed due to a 'Failure' prior to the expiry date.

Without looking it up again, one can drive a vehicle without a current MOT, "to and from a pre-arranged MOT". There is no stipulation in the Legislation as to distance.

Additionally, one can drive such vehicle "to or from a place of repair". Notably, there is no requirement for this to be 'pre-arranged' and one could quite legally 'hawk' the vehicle around a number of 'places of repair' to get best quotes/repair times.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, much of what appears on GOV.UK sites is written by 'Media' trained types, as opposed to 'Legally' trained individuals.

Where related, rather than using the GOV.UK site, I use the CPS site,

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences

Wighty likes this.
  4. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    They couldn't under the old or new rules. It's just that the new rules can include 'dangerous' as part of the reason for fail.

5. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    This reminds me a long time ago where I was mid changing bulbs (rears weren't bright and had taken them out) when garage rang to say they could give me a quote on a viscous coupling). Took it to the garage in broad daylight to get a quote for a viscous coupling while i waited. I saw the guy go under the car and then open boot and seemed very thorough so thought he was looking for work but fair enough if he wasn't going to charge. Then he gave me the quote and also demanded a tenner for changing the rear bulbs. I said I could do this myself, didn't authorise it, etc but he said his licence could be taken away from him if he allowed the car back on the road (in daylight 1 mile from home) without any rear bulbs and if I didn't pay he would only allow it out on a tow truck and he could order me a tow truck for 100.

Just goes to show any garage can try it on so any new categories might be abused as they assume that nobody knows the law. In the end I had no choice but to pay him the tenner as I had things to do, but I then booked it in for a viscous coupling and major service so he ordered all the parts and never turned up...