New SLK (R172) owner checking in.. with a handling question.

petercooper

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI / 2012
I've been lurking on here as I ordered a new SLK and was waiting for it.. and have enjoyed lots of great threads. So, hi!

SLK arrived last week (the SLK250 CDI) and I've been settling in. I'm not a performance driver at all though I used to have a 2.8 V6 Signum (!) and a mid 90s C class so a little power isn't entirely alien, but I'm struggling to feel confidence in the SLK's handling so far.

At similar speeds to the family Astra (a 2.0 diesel) it feels skittish cornering (oversteer) and I've felt the electronics pull it back into shape quite a few times. Is this normal? Every review I've read says how great the grip and handling is so I'm either being paranoid, driving too fast (though no faster than in the steady footed Astra), or "..." ;-) Any tips, pointers, experience? For now I will just stay in the boundaries of what feels OK.

A few other things have leapt out:

- When sitting still or stopped, there's often a "tick tock tick tock" noise coming from behind me. Could this be a testing mechanism on the vario roof or something?
- The driver's side of the bonnet hisses for 30 seconds or so after stopping. Opened it up and it's from flow in a pipe. Radiator system still running for a while? Just not something I've noticed in previous cars.
- Also after stopping, there's often a big "clonk" from the rear of the car. I'm guessing it's something in the exhaust system cooling, but thought I'd bring it up just in case it's unusual.

Any pointers welcomed and other than that.. glad to meet all of you and hope to enjoy some good times on the forum! :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just saying welcome to the forum with that nice looking car :D

Just on one point the rear ends can be twitchy and very easy to kick it out on sharp turn, the tyres will bed down better soon, but you have a lot of power under that bonnet. for town work I mainly use the gearbox in the C mode it is a softer start and nicer in towns.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and welcome......not everything sounds quite right (clonck?) to me but I have no experience with your particular car......Orb the Impaler may be your man in addition to your supplier of course.

Mic

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
A few other things have leapt out:

- When sitting still or stopped, there's often a "tick tock tick tock" noise coming from behind me. Could this be a testing mechanism on the vario roof or something?
- The driver's side of the bonnet hisses for 30 seconds or so after stopping. Opened it up and it's from flow in a pipe. Radiator system still running for a while? Just not something I've noticed in previous cars.
- Also after stopping, there's often a big "clonk" from the rear of the car. I'm guessing it's something in the exhaust system cooling, but thought I'd bring it up just in case it's unusual.

Hello!

- I too would love to know what the "tick tock tick tock" noise is! It goes on for quite some time (I sometimes grab a nap in my car at lunchtimes). My old SL did something similar. The car seems to "go to sleep" in the end.
- I am pretty sure the hissing is the aircon gas evaporating/sublimating in the pipes as it's not being pumped through the condenser any more, my SL did it and I was in a 96 Civic yesterday that did it.
- the "clonk" I get too - it's the hot exhaust contracting IMO.

The fact that both our cars do these things would indicate that they are all normal :)

On the subject of handling - yours doesn't sound right at all. Mine has the AMG pack so although the ride is hard (too hard, to be frank) there is *loads* of grip; it's miles better than my SL for example, and in my opinion should put to bed the "SLKs don't handle" reputation. I can hammer it off roundabouts and although I can get the back out it does take some doing (ie. deliberate) and is easy to control.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello!

- I too would love to know what the "tick tock tick tock" noise is! It goes on for quite some time (I sometimes grab a nap in my car at lunchtimes). My old SL did something similar. The car seems to "go to sleep" in the end.
- I am pretty sure the hissing is the aircon gas evaporating/sublimating in the pipes as it's not being pumped through the condenser any more, my SL did it and I was in a 96 Civic yesterday that did it.
- the "clonk" I get too - it's the hot exhaust contracting IMO.

The fact that both our cars do these things would indicate that they are all normal :)

On the subject of handling - yours doesn't sound right at all. Mine has the AMG pack so although the ride is hard (too hard, to be frank) there is *loads* of grip; it's miles better than my SL for example, and in my opinion should put to bed the "SLKs don't handle" reputation. I can hammer it off roundabouts and although I can get the back out it does take some doing (ie. deliberate) and is easy to control.

Do you think it could just be the tyres that need bedding in a little ;)

C

creepy coupe

My Wife has just bought an R172 200 AMG and I have to say I really enjoy driving it. Although when I took it out for a spin the second night. I found the car needed constant very slight steering correction and together with poor dipped beam headlight performance made the short trip very unnerving.
The next day I dropped the tyre pressures to 31 front and 33 Psi rears which helped no end. I also upgraded the dipped H7 bulbs to a Philips Ex-Tream. Which has also improved things a great deal.

I came from a BMW M3 so wasn’t expecting the same level of dynamics. But I’ve since settled into the SLK’s slightly fidgety style and find things have improved no end, now the tyres have scrubbed in.

As for the ride. I think it’s fantastic. I really think MB have nailed it. Not too hard but with a decent amount of damping.

I get the clonking form the rear. It just sounds like the back boxes contracting.

Here's my "One month in" report ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have only had the SLK for about a month....

Experiences so far. I have to admit I really enjoy driving the Wife’s R172. It a great blend of sporty comfort and refinement. Merc have done a cracking job moving the game on. Her car with 18” AMG wheels ride the rotting UK road really well and still maintains decent body control.

With the lid on the cabin is very quiet and refined. Fit and finish feels top notch. So far it rattle free and we’re hoping it remains that way. Although past experiences in colder weather tend to throw up creaks and rattles more.

Having owned seven BMW’s adjusting to Mercedes way of doing things is a bit strange. I really like the auto off feature of the electronic handbrake and find going back to a car with an old fashioned lever very last year. I also find the quality of the paint finish much better then modern BM’s.

One thing does bug me is that there is no way to turn the headlights off completely EG. Auto or side lights, but no position for fully off. Which leads me to the other bugbear. The light sensors which determine when the head lights switch on. Our car has one for the headlights and another for the Sat Nav / Audio screen display. The headlights come on in low light conditions, but the buttons and switchgear backlights don’t illuminate. and the Nav screen stay bright, which appears to have a different sensor and goes to night mode of it’s own accord. Why can’t they work simultaneously?

And the fuel consumption. It’s abysmal, we can get nowhere near the 42 MPG Mercedes claim and it’s not as though we drive with a lead foot. After all I managed to get 28 MPG from a V8 M3.

These points aside though, it’s still a great car and I’m already thinking of a 350

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I chose to have the comand settings fixed without the dimming done from the auto lights.

C

creepy coupe

I chose to have the comand settings fixed without the dimming done from the auto lights.

That's the thing Malc. The auto lights switch on and the speedo/tacho dims. But the Screen doesn't. If I choose your way, how does one dim the screen?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have the choice, I think it is in the comand settings.

Select "vehicle" -system settings- select day design or night design or automatic, and this setting it works with the auto lights

C

creepy coupe

You have the choice, I think it is in the comand settings.

Select "vehicle" -system settings- select day design or night design or automatic, and this setting it works with the auto lights

Yes I've seen that in the settings. So presumably you then have to go into the setting menu to change things each time from day to night. If not set to auto?

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
What is this "auto off" handbrake of which you speak? :confused:
Does this mean I can safely just drive off? After 7 years of MB ownership I have never got used to the handbrake release and simply forget to disengage it til it beeps - consequently I don't use the handbrake unless I'm on a hill.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I've seen that in the settings. So presumably you then have to go into the setting menu to change things each time from day to night. If not set to auto?

Yes you do,,, I find the switching of the comand screen to dark in the night setting during any daylight, maybe its just me with bad eyes;)

C

creepy coupe

What is this "auto off" handbrake of which you speak? :confused:
Does this mean I can safely just drive off? After 7 years of MB ownership I have never got used to the handbrake release and simply forget to disengage it til it beeps - consequently I don't use the handbrake unless I'm on a hill.

Yes. I works a treat IMO. As you pull away it disengages without so much as a bleep. It's a bit counterintuitive really. I mean the whole point of a handbrake is to stop such shenanigans.

VicInCornwall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E400 Sport Coupe // 2005 Suzuki Jimny // Wife = SLK 230
If the car is skittish, check the tyre pressures as a first.
I sometimes find the dealer tyre pressure gauges are not accurate and you end up with too much air in them. This is typical of rental companies as well.
Check it with a decent gauge.
Vic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes. I works a treat IMO. As you pull away it disengages without so much as a bleep. It's a bit counterintuitive really. I mean the whole point of a handbrake is to stop such shenanigans.

I like that as well when I use it, just no chance of driving off when its applied, that fact that it does not hold my car on my drive is another story :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you live on the north face of the Eiger Malc? ;)

Not far off and it is a pain in the backside trying to jack up cars, every house is on a slope, this is the bit that is not so steep
DSC00783.jpg

Picture413.jpg

C

creepy coupe

Jeez Malc, See what you mean. Looks a nice location though.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom