Ouch

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Daughter had a front end prang in the fog last night, how much do you think repair will be, she is wondering if she needs to go through insurance etc...?
fdb180546cee8f82c1c015994796d120.jpg
d1a879507c5f35ddbd61271f0d028002.jpg
c8e6aa0c4443be26e42fd829ede69dfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
If you go through insurance you'll continue paying with increased premiums.
I'd avoid it if you can

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Daughter had a front end prang in the fog last night, how much do you think repair will be, she is wondering if she needs to go through insurance etc...?
fdb180546cee8f82c1c015994796d120.jpg
d1a879507c5f35ddbd61271f0d028002.jpg
c8e6aa0c4443be26e42fd829ede69dfd.jpg

Did she hit another car ?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this!

Looks like a new bumper and headlight and paint repair to the wing so using insurance I would think >£3k

If you sourced the parts from eBay or a salvage company and used a bodywork shop to fit the new parts and spray the wing <£1.5k

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Did she hit another car ?
Yes minimal damage to 2010 fiesta she hit, reflector and scratches, think she will need to go through insurance though :-(

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
There was 3x cars, 1st in front cut across 2x lanes (last minute change of direction) then braked to a halt. Fiesta slammed on brakes and just managed to miss, daughter didn't react as quick....

1st car drove off before any details taken daughter understands it's always vehicle behinds fault. This was on an A road, daughter went from 60 to stop so could have been worse!

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Bonnet sensor popped.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
Does the car have a dashcam....this is the best independent witness you can have and some insurance companies give a discount, not all mind, although they should.
This would possibly have identified the first runaway driver...which is an offence to disappear from an accident., which I nearly found to my cost.
My other car I drive is 58 plate silver SAAB. two police men turned up at my door step and asked if I had been driving in it recently, and I said " Yes ", still heat on the bonnet, the giveaway. They had picked me up on their ANPR camera in our village, and asked where I had been that morning, I told them where, but they were not convinced. The reason they weren't convinced, was a cyclist had been knocked off his bicycle in the next village along and was badly injured, as the air ambulance flew overhead with him in as they informed me. The reason for the visit, was a witness reported a 58 plated silver SAAB was involved, and there are only two registered in the county. So I said they could view the dashcam footage and this confirmed my movements as I had described, even when I went through their ANPR camera. So on the evidence of the dashcam footage, they said I was no longer part of their investigation. They did say however , if my answers hadn't have stacked up, I would have been arrested and taken in to custody.
As it turns out I have noticed another 58 plated silver SAAB in our village, albeit a 95.
So the moral of the story is, install a dashcam as your personnel independent witness particularly when involved in accidents, although beware they do record everything about your journey.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes minimal damage to 2010 fiesta she hit, reflector and scratches, think she will need to go through insurance though :-(

That’s what I was going to say if another vehicle is involved .

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
She does not have dashcam unfortunately..

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reading between the lines of your daughter's account of the accident, it appears she is the unwitting victim of ' Brake checking combined with road rage'.
As the first car has crossed the two lanes, the Fiesta driver takes exception to this maneuver and either blows his horn or flashes his lights....first car also takes exception and brake checks to a halt. As your daughter is driving a relatively low level car, she doesn't see the first cars brake lights and too late to react hits said Fiesta. So the Fiesta driver gets out of their car, and is in two minds.... who does he approach first, the dangerous driver or your daughter who has just ran into the back of him, in the confusion he doesn't get the reg. of the first car, by which time the first car speeds off, leaving the victims to pick up the tab.
I wonder if the Fiesta driver had a dashcam fitted in their car?

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Reading between the lines of your daughter's account of the accident, it appears she is the unwitting victim of ' Brake checking combined with road rage'.
As the first car has crossed the two lanes, the Fiesta driver takes exception to this maneuver and either blows his horn or flashes his lights....first car also takes exception and brake checks to a halt. As your daughter is driving a relatively low level car, she doesn't see the first cars brake lights and too late to react hits said Fiesta. So the Fiesta driver gets out of their car, and is in two minds.... who does he approach first, the dangerous driver or your daughter who has just ran into the back of him, in the confusion he doesn't get the reg. of the first car, by which time the first car speeds off, leaving the victims to pick up the tab.
I wonder if the Fiesta driver had a dashcam fitted in their car?
The Fiesta driver was a "she" American lady, very nice & polite apparently, yes she did sound her horn she said to warn my daughter who was approaching from behind at speed, at the end of the day, my daughter should have kept a suitable gap to avoid/stop in any emergency situation which is why it is normally always car behinds fault. This all took place around 2am so I am guessing the fleeing party may not have been legal (either substance or no insurance) etc.

My daughter had left our house following a family gathering, no alcohol consumed as she was being very good, not even a glass of wine but she was a little tired and wanted to get home. What is so upsetting is we offered her and her partner a bed for the night but she has had a stressful working week so wanted to wake up in her own bed.....

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At least no body was injured....no surprise the American lady sounded her horn, as they all tend to drive on their horn in the states.
So the only repairs should be to the vehicles....as the old adage was '' No bones broken and its only metal that can be repaired '', today its '' Plastic that can be replaced".

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
As insurance are involved, best leave it all to them.
Getting involved will complicate their process, slow matters up and most likely, confuse the hell out of them.

It will be costly to them and therefore to your daughter unfortunately, but she will have until renewal to start to budget for it at least

'They' all drive too close
And
Get her a dash cam

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Had a nasty shock with Hastings Premier! Last time I paid £334 with everything on it, this year it's now £552! I've not claimed anything and even a look on two comparison sites reveals no more better prices! Absolute rip off! Of course usual excuse of paying out more claims and more drivers not having any insurance at all so it's the rest of us smucks to stump up the money ! Grrrrrr I'm so angry I'm going to throw the phone down!! ...nod to the great DJ Steve Wright!!

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am finding all types of insurances are almost doubling up and the excuses are the following...
(i) Brexit
(ii) Covid Pandemic.
(iii) Cost of materials.
(iv) Lack of skilled labour.
No doubt other folk have had other excuses for the hyping of insurance costs.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom