Parking brake release

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Had the same problem for a while and eventually got fed up with it taking 3 or 4 times to release.
Followed this video and haven't had any problems since for the best part of a year.
On my car I had to unbolt the rear seat and lift a sound deadening pad to get access. Spent a bit of time cleaning and lubing with silicone on the pivot and up the cable ends and lots of on/off operations before checking there was no drag on the wheels when off. The pedal is near the top of it's travel when off.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Oldspanners..... very helpful video. :)
Regards, Jim2

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The parking brake on my SL has always failed to fully release even after having an indie adjust it. The foot pedal doesn't release fully which means the warning light stays on, i can pull the foot brake up further with my foot and the light goes out but come MOT time the tester will not do that. I don't normally mind but the MOT is coming up again.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
The parking brake on my SL has always failed to fully release even after having an indie adjust it. The foot pedal doesn't release fully which means the warning light stays on, i can pull the foot brake up further with my foot and the light goes out but come MOT time the tester will not do that. I don't normally mind but the MOT is coming up again.
An earlier OP had the same problem as you have... sticking handbrake pedal. he solved it by spraying it with a lubricating oil ( aerosol, with tube ) and working it up and down until it became free. ( carefull where you spray the oil...cover the surrounding area with cloth etc .) If the problem is at that end, that will fix it. Old spanners has a video ( this thread ) showing where the cable connects to the rear cables that actuate the brake shoes in the brake drum. Hopefully, your one just needs some oil at the front end, and not at the back.
Regards, Jim2

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
Lubricated the foot pedal, seems to have done the trick, apart from the 'P' doesn't light up anymore on the dash when brake is releasd!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Shouldn't the P light up when the parking brake is on? It does in my cars.

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
I suspect the previous owner didn't use the parking brake much, operates much better now, and doesn't creep when engaged as it did before.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom