PHEV / EV Charging not achieving 100% capacity (not range!)

tivechase

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e, 2015
If you have a EV/PHEV do you manage to achieve 100% charge via your 3 pin cable?

My c350e struggles to get over 68% using my 3 pin cable. (The fast charger gives me 100%.) Someone at the dealership told me it would only achieve a 100% charge with a fast charger home unit. I'm not convinced by this.

This is not a question about the charging range but the percentage the battery charges to.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
My mate has a 350e and charges it using the three pin cable. It is plugged into a socket which is on it's own 16a ringmain and it charges to 100%, which equates to about 15 miles.

OP
T

tivechase

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e, 2015
It is plugged into a socket which is on it's own 16a ringmain
Thanks. What does this mean? Is this a regular home socket or was it adapted for charging use?

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
Thanks. What does this mean? Is this a regular home socket or was it adapted for charging use?

It just happens that the socket nearest the door is the only one wired to a 16a MCB in the mainsboard. It is just a standard 13a, three pin socket, but with no other sockets drawing any load from that particular supply.

It would be the same if at home you unplugged absolutely everything else and just had your charger plugged into a normal socket.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
If the fast charger gets it to 100%, then there's a problem with your 3 pin socket.

OP
T

tivechase

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e, 2015
If the fast charger gets it to 100%, then there's a problem with your 3 pin socket.
I’ve tried two different plugs at different houses. The only consistent factor is the charger.

Redbluearmy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 C350e
I have a C350e and it achieves 100% wherever i charge it. On my standard cable plugged into a socket (Home and work) or my home charger on the wall. Hope this helps.

OP
T

tivechase

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e, 2015
It does. Thank you. Out of interest, how long is a full charge taking on your 13 amp home socket?

Redbluearmy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 C350e
It does. Thank you. Out of interest, how long is a full charge taking on your 13 amp home socket?

13 amp home or work socket usually takes around 4 hours on average. Around an hour and a half for my home charger on the wall.

Marshall13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e
Hi, I only registered to say I think the range you get on a full charge is a load of crap. I've had the car a year and whilst I bought it due to company car tax savings and the fact that there aren't many cars that do 0-60 in less than 60 seconds for the aforementioned Co. tax band, the actual range available is really poor. I once saw it register 18 miles, which in reality is about 12, but for the last 6 months, I've never seen more than 14 miles, and if lucky that equates to 8! It really is that ****. I see MB are still claiming around 31km on a full charge which is totally misleading. I based all my decisions on the fact that I would save a load of tax versus my previous BMW 520d and that my fuel bill would be a little bit more, but it's just nowhere near what I was led to expect. If this loss of battery power continues, I won't be able to start the ****** thing in another 12 months.

If you are in the position I was in 12 months ago...think very carefully.

It is pleasant to drive and good fun when you floor it, but the underlying **** off factor around doing just that is that the fuel gauge moves at the same speed as the speedo.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom