Philips Color Vision Bulbs - Pre-Launch Testers Required!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Sorry, I wasn't meaning misleading in that way.
Just that blue lights include other colours even if they are muted by the tint.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They use red for danger in spite of the fact that we see it less bright than any other colour

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
It depends on the angle - red is almost invisible to peripheral vision, but quite clear straight ahead. That's why it's good for "submarine" ambient lighting. Best colour for instruments is cyan-green, where the eye is most sensitive and the intensity can be lowest.

My old Mondeo had a stereo which had selectable front panel colours - deep blue was very bright in peripheral vision but dim straight on; red the opposite.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Chavtastic! Should go well with pikey personal plates like this example of imaginative spacing nicked from the internet
0y5O7eJD.jpg

and ensure everyone knows that they're sharing the road with a tasteless idiot that can't even spell his own name after the sun sets and the silly plate is less noticable

For a proper education on bulbs including filters (tinted glass), glare and a bunch more including why pricks that fit HID kits into halogen headlights should be kicked repeatedly in the nuts until they're no longer able to breed start here... http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html The reason why the French were onto something with yellow headlights is covered under 'dangerous, illegal blue bulbs'.

Beaten to it with the daniel stern link but can't be bothered to edit things now

While wattage is the normal one mentioned with regards to legality the ECE regulations mentioned cover a hell of a lot more. Luminous flux/lumens for example which have min / max values and can vary a lot for a given wattage which is what gives the wiggle room for tinted bulbs... run 'em hotter so that after filtering out some of the light they still meet the regs. Bonus is they typically don't last as long so you sell more bulbs. ECE R37 in full... http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r037r5e.pdf
Gas discharge/HIDs are covered by ece r98... http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R098r3e.pdf

The cynic in me thinks that their marketing department reckons that a significant chunk of those 'not chosen' will choose to buy them so they don't feel left out...

Remember that unless you get the right [cough] 'sale' [/cough] or promo code ECP are a chunk more expensive than their sister company carparts4less...

45bc0b26aa9ff1cb4ce40685dd2e7c56233a2fe4a8ecee7215747a2070221f8c.jpg

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
Isn't it illegal to have blue lights?

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Isn't it illegal to have blue lights?

Your headlamps must be "white" (within a fairly broad definition of the colour). You may additionally display any colour light you like pointing forwards, with the sole exception of red, which is for rear-facing only.

Blue lights are thus allowed (see all the trucks driving around), provided they do not move, flash, dazzle, distract or "resemble an emergency beacon, even when off".

All you need to know is here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Last edited:
OP
EuroCarParts

EuroCarParts

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.eurocarparts.com
Your Mercedes
BMW 2006 330d
Evening All!

Myself and Kunal spent a hour speed packing the samples which have all gone out (or are about to go out) via UPS!
packing.jpg

We only had a limited about of samples, however we tried to ensure that it was shared across the forums equally which means that not everybody who requested a sample will get one!

Once you do receive them, please let us know - and we would appreciate any feedback and pictures once fitted!

Thanks!

Pat

nokia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde
ooooo its like Christmas again

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Thanks Mr ECP the lamps arrived this morning.
The H4 with yellow are for my daughters black 206. I'll fit them tonight when she gets back from her daily 25 mile each way commute on rural roads at 7pm. So after her evening drives next week we shall be able to give you more feedback.

My initial impressions.
The packaging is well designed and informative.
60% greater light output will be good if correct.
The lifetime bar on the rear doesn't show if we should expect longer life or less.
The 'Road Legal Card' inside might be useful if pulled by Mr Plod, and I can see that the boy racers could use this frequently.

I'm hoping that the lower output frequency will be useful for cutting the fog which we will be expecting plenty of soon enough.

OP
EuroCarParts

EuroCarParts

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.eurocarparts.com
Your Mercedes
BMW 2006 330d
Hi All!

We've been getting great feedback from these - thanks!

We managed to get a few more samples from Philips and have sent these out to more members chosen at random - If you were one of those, you have just recieved a PM from us :)

Please feel free to leave your feedback in this thread and thanks for joining in!

Pat :)

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hi All!

We've been getting great feedback from these - thanks!

We managed to get a few more samples from Philips and have sent these out to more members chosen at random - If you were one of those, you have just recieved a PM from us :)

Please feel free to leave your feedback in this thread and thanks for joining in!

Pat :)

send me some - i do plenty of mileage

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Hi Everybody!

We've just taken delivery of samples of the new Philips Color Vision Bulbs & need some trusty forum members to test them out, provide some pictures & details about how they found them!

Has anyone done a photo shoot and report on any forum yet, if so have you got any links please?

I've got factory HID so not personally interested but it would be nice to see how people got on with them.

Last edited:

Alan180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 2003 1.8
Color Vision Bulbs

Hi all received bulbs wasn't sure as they were purple ones but cant really see the color I would say they are as good as nightbreaker+ that I was using will let you know more when I use car thanks Alan

SV400001_zpsd56d33f9.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom