Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
it was actually a bit tatty in some of them as well

Your car is beautiful Slappy, very nice colour combination, and virtually the same wheels as I have just bought.

slappy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2002 5L
once i get the PSE issue sorted finally its going to be going for a deep clean and the alloys redoing as they are scuffed. I will post some good pics then

burystedmunds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r230/2002/500
R230 2002 SL500 brake calipers painting

This is a job I must get to and soon. I have only owned the car for a few months and it is coming back from the bodyshop who are repainting the wheels and fixing the rust on the rear nearside wing.

The next job i mean to do is to paint the brake calipers and hubs as they will look rubbish through the freshly painted wheels.

Any advice as how is should this and what paint is best. also if I paint over the front calipers how do i replace the MB lettering?

Any help and advice gratefully received. i am a novice at this sort of thing as this is the first good car i have owned. I bought it with my savings from my 6 months in Afghan.

It is black with cream interior so i am thinking silver for the brakes or should i go for black?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The real caliper paint is no more than house radiator paint, Halfords sell it but for silver I have always used Hamerite. You can buy the red or white mercedes Benz decals from Ebay about £8 for 3 large and 3 small, I just give 2 coats of clear lacquer over the top to hold them in place.

Calipers do not get hot

Do keep them silver on a silver car to avoid a Christmas tree look.

A good time to do it is when changing the pads, pads out, wash down with petrol all over. use a wire brush and medium grit sand paper. I paint by brush the first coat all the iron bits then use a spray can for the caliper and all over. The weather is still too cold and best done a minimum temp of 15c, keep the paint warm in the house.

burystedmunds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r230/2002/500
Decals ordered. As the car is black should I do the calipers black or silver? These are really the only two choices as i am not into any bling...just want them to look clean and smart. what spray paint do you use|?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Decals ordered. As the car is black should I do the calipers black or silver? These are really the only two choices as i am not into any bling...just want them to look clean and smart. what spray paint do you use|?

I think perhaps its more to do with the colour of the wheels as I see it (but that could be just me) Black would also look good I think on a black car.

Re the silver or other paint, Hamerite do 2 silvers, Hamerite silver smooth is quite bright, Hamered silver is a darker silver with a kind of mottled effect.

I use the Silver smooth on silver cars, and used the hamered on my dark grey car with dark wheels as in the picture above.

This is the silver smooth

Attachments

• Picture 699.jpg
    Picture 699.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 223.jpg
    Picture 223.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
M

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300

For me it would have to be silver calipers on a black car. Black on a black car wouldnt embellish the look. Like Malcolm I use the Hammerite smooth silver and believe it to be by far the best paint for the job - its outlasted anything else I've used over the years. Silver calipers with white lettering also keeps things nicely OEM if you are of that persuasion. Post some pics of your work when its done please.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Michiganstar

I was abit stunned to read your spec. for polishing your SL.I have only been using Autoglym Silicone Resin Polish on mine. The shine is nice but could I do better with a system like you use? My SL is siver by the way.

John

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Very nice indeed ... I need to get out and just clean my car...it seems to be on the route for the birds as they build their nests .... have to wash bird crap off every morning.... Must do the wheels like that albeit it isn't an SL anymore... :(

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
Very nice indeed ... I need to get out and just clean my car...it seems to be on the route for the birds as they build their nests .... have to wash bird crap off every morning.... Must do the wheels like that albeit it isn't an SL anymore... :(

what would be the best way to remove bird crap, especially say you are travelling and dont have access to a hose, you dont want to remove it without proper wash so you may leave it but you also dont want to leave it as it can cause etching if left and should be immediately removed.

i use a thick microfibre towel fold it in 4s and place it on the top of the bird poo, then using a bottle i pour water over the towel and keep pouring until it cant absorb any more and starts to run through the sides, leave it for a few seconds and then almost just picked the crap up by clumping the towel and lifting up, it seems to work without scratching and the water and mf make the dropping soft.

is this method fine any better method you have in mind

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I normally carry a damp cloth in the boot for bird droppings, if caught out just use the services of a garage and wet some tissues and problem gone.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I also keep a couple of the "Bird Cack" wet wipe packets in the car, just in case. Ideally hit it with fresh water if I can, then use the wipe to neutralise and remove any residue.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also keep a couple of the "Bird Cack" wet wipe packets in the car, just in case. Ideally hit it with fresh water if I can, then use the wipe to neutralise and remove any residue.

If you find the guilty seagull just give it some baking powder ;)

OP
M

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300
Michiganstar

I was abit stunned to read your spec. for polishing your SL.I have only been using Autoglym Silicone Resin Polish on mine. The shine is nice but could I do better with a system like you use? My SL is siver by the way.

John

You'd get great results using the Jestseal 109 on silver John. The real trick is in the prep though - get a bilt hamber clay bar for a tenner and use it with water to remove the contaminants in the paint - imagine a dirty window that's been cleaned - that's what a clay bar does essentially. Then go over your paint with a polish like your AG SRP. Now your paint is clean and polished you will need to protect it - A sealant like Jetseal 109 applied twice a least 20mins apart will give silver a very glassy finish that looks super slick. After that, and this is optional, I like to add a natural wax to give the paint some 'warmth' or depth so I use Collinite 846 Insulator Wax. Both of the previous steps provide very durable results giving you at least 4months of protection I'd say.
You can top up the finish every time you wash with something like Sonax Brilliant Shine detailing spray.

8750615598_6d2c60007a_k.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom