R230 SL500 Spring Clean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Michiganstar

Thanks for that advice. I did get a bottle of the Autoglym protection glaze and applied a coat after polishing with SRP. It looks very nice. Next time I will clay the car as you advise and do a full build up.

John

OP
M

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300
Good work sir. However without wax you are only cleaning your paint and filling the swirls with a very easily removed product - even though the car looks great the paintwork is still not protected and a wax would need to applied. So its always polish, glaze then wax (sometimes clay before polish). Unless you meant you put AG Extra Gloss protection on which is a sealant and would be perfectly acceptable after AG SRP.

Last edited:

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
may i add a another step? after polishing and glazing the surface prep in my mind is still incomplete if you want to apply a sealant afterwards, for just a wax its perfect.

polish or glaze leaves a lot of polishing oils on the surface which dont let the sealant bond well, if a sealant will normally last 1 year, without that perp it will hardly last 6 months, for this their are products such as paint cleansers, like Car lack AIO its a german company and after polishing this adds some further polishing and very light swirl removing and more importantly its has cleansers which remove all polishing oils from the surface. a better one i use is Auto Finesse Tough prep polish,

Sealants form tightly cross-linked molecular bonds, and adhere best to a bare surface. Tough Prep is a pure paintwork cleaner, with no waxes or glazing oils. This translates into maximum durability, and purity of reflection for all synthetic sealants.it contains deep cleansing solvents, and fine diminishing abrasives. These remove stubborn contaminates, oxidation, and light swirling to create a perfect sealant-ready finish

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/pre-wax-cleaners/auto-finesse-tough-prep/prod_1080.html

Last edited:

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Michiganstar

Yes, I did use the AG Extra Gloss Protection, it is an easy product to use. I also treated myself to an electric polisher which makes everything a bit easier.
Can you top up the AGEGP or do you have to start from scratch again?

John

OP
M

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300
You can use additional EGP if you like but I would suggest just topping up the shine with something like Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer after every wash.

Last edited:
OP
M

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300
may i add a another step? after polishing and glazing the surface prep in my mind is still incomplete if you want to apply a sealant afterwards, for just a wax its perfect.

polish or glaze leaves a lot of polishing oils on the surface which dont let the sealant bond well, if a sealant will normally last 1 year, without that perp it will hardly last 6 months, for this their are products such as paint cleansers, like Car lack AIO its a german company and after polishing this adds some further polishing and very light swirl removing and more importantly its has cleansers which remove all polishing oils from the surface. a better one i use is Auto Finesse Tough prep polish,

Sealants form tightly cross-linked molecular bonds, and adhere best to a bare surface. Tough Prep is a pure paintwork cleaner, with no waxes or glazing oils. This translates into maximum durability, and purity of reflection for all synthetic sealants.it contains deep cleansing solvents, and fine diminishing abrasives. These remove stubborn contaminates, oxidation, and light swirling to create a perfect sealant-ready finish

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/pre-wax-cleaners/auto-finesse-tough-prep/prod_1080.html

Thats a can of worms you've opened - most modern sealants will be fine with glaze underneath as they arent as oily as some of the older ones. You are correct though that a sealant will bond better with perfectly clean paint.
In my case I have tried with and without glaze underneath - both lasted circa 6 months but the car looks much better with the glaze underneath.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom