Race chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diyer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 c 200 67
I’m after a bit more power race chip have £100 off there top package for my w205 c200
Does it work and is it worth it.
Or better mods for £300
Or just generally something better on the market that may be a little more or less
Thanks

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I’m after a bit more power race chip have £100 off there top package for my w205 c200
Does it work and is it worth it.
Or better mods for £300
Or just generally something better on the market that may be a little more or less
Thanks

Advice most often given on the forum is that tuning with a company like GAD (forum sponsors) is a better way to improve performance. Someone more knowledgable will be along in a minute.

garethbevan59

Reaction score
Pure crap mate I've tried their boxes twice - best opt for a proper remap and you might even save money with a better product

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Diyer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 c 200 67
Crap as in doesn’t work or just not worth it. Surely it must do something or they’d be sued.
How much is a remap equivalent

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
There's torque and smoke limiters within the ecu map a tuning box can't change.

Tuning box Vs remap on a A45 AMG .

2020-04-28 14.26.04.png

2020-04-28 14.42.10.png

They resort to lies to sell these boxes , take tdi tuning .

"Completely traceless" and remaps are for "track and drift car" , most are for the road and improve everyday drivability as well as performance .

tdi tuning caught out !

https://www.p-v-e.co.uk/tuning-boxes/

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Gazwould states 'They resort to lies to sell these boxes , take tdi tuning .'

On a public forum, such a definite statement is foolish, and leaves you open to legal action.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
You should hear what I say about Celtic Tuning..

Good things , good people are praised .

Poor product /porkies , not .

James Debuse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e320 cdi estate w211
Im thinking of getting a sprint booster v3. Anyone else got one fitted. BHP is not increased but change ups are amazing from what I've seen and been told

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Im thinking of getting a sprint booster v3. Anyone else got one fitted. BHP is not increased but change ups are amazing from what I've seen and been told
Gazwould swears by those sprint boosters.
Most of the rest of us take the view that they do nothing that can't be achieved with a less delicate prod of the right foot.
As you rightly say they open the throttle more for a given amount of pedal movement. Just pushing the pedal harder accomplishes the same result.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
So you think and it's been proved otherwise.

The throttle plate opens quicker , it can't be replicated with the quickest of foots . And thus also torque is available quicker.

"I personally didn’t believe the claims of change after looking at the specs and the voltage delivery statements.. but my brother purchased one for his 2008 Hilux 2.5L TDI, so I decided to check it out myself, after hearing his claims that the responsiveness felt more like the older cable driven throttles that had a 1:1 response to pedal travel.
For the test I by-passed the pedal to a direct on/off switch system to eliminate the possibility of different speeds of pedal press.
What I found was:
1. from off to full depression the DBW throttles seem to operate at a slower and smoother pace thru the operation of the butterfly with full pedal depression.
With the Throttle tuner (TT) at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)
2. via datum measurements, I measured that at 100% pedal depression, the physical opening marker of the butterfly with out the Throttle tuner was considered to be 100%.
With the TT at full setting the butterfly opened consistently with an approximate 2 degree increase (doubt this was manufacturer intentional and may be due to ware over time and the faster delivery of the voltage causing a minor “flick” to become noticeable) but it was a slight increase none the less.
3. I then measured the vacuum & boost (2 different digital and analog liquid filled gauges), both al fully depressed pedals, and again it resulted in gains over the stock. It was evident that the ECU was aware of a change in the Air/Fuel ratio and compensated as it is supposed to.
4. for the Dyno test, I returned the pedal to its original foot controlled operation.
Stock and TT both delivered the same top end HP.. but the faster acceleration of the TT resulted and a torque delivery in a shorter timeframe (which is what most drivers would “feel” and refer to as the “ass dyno”). So yes, there is feel of increased G-force (mistakenly referred to as power) as the faster engine acceleration is in fact transferred to the wheels delivering improved propulsion.
The science of this item is more than the mere voltage curve from 0%-100%.
It includes the other calculations of the other factors like fluid dynamics, voltage drops, intentional retarding, losses and gains due friction, etc, etc, etc.
The system operates on a similar premise to the older cable tethered, “cam throttle” application used on motorcycle throttles that converted a 1/4 turn throttle twist into a 1/8 turn equivalent. The cam was tuned via shaping of the lobe (sometimes lobes plural) to deliver mechanically increased throttle/twist response ratios, typically tuned to sync with the powerbands of the specific motorcycles.
Now you can say that it in their head as well.. but then that would also mean 1/4 mile stats and data loggers help perpetuate the placebo effect.
So all in all :
No, it does not make the vehicle more powerful overall. The overall top end output remains the same. but..
Yes, the users do “feel” a difference in the operation of the vehicles.. thought it likely feels greater than it is.
Yes, the torque curve is brought on earlier (the “ass dyno” didn’t lie)
Yes, the claims are exaggerated (that’s just the marketing aspect)
Yes, results will vary from brand to brand, model to model and even car to car within the same brand/model due to tuning, etc.,
..but for low rpm acceleration, where most people want to get a bit of an increase (like pulling off from a stand-still stop, or pedaling to overtake) they will be pleased in most production vehicles and more so in higher tuned “weekend race vehicles”
I have since installed a similar device in my own 2008 Hilux of the same spec. and the results have been very similar.
Like with racing, every ounce of weight shed, every pound of boost gained, every advantage found, adds up.
Note:
Pedal switch tests were done over 3 days, 3 times a day, 3 runs each time.
Day 1 – Set up switches, Throttle tuner
Day 2 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – Stock pedal tests first, followed by engaged TT
Day 3 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – TT engaged pedal tests first, followed by stock pedal
Humidity was just about the same with about a 5-10 degree fluctuation for equivalent times.
32″ fan was directed into the engine bay for all tests.
Dyno test was done in 1 day.
Drove to dyno center 15 mins away.. 1hr rest.. temp check.. 3 runs stock pedal.. 1hr rest.. temp check for matching pre run temp.. 3 runs TT full setting engaged pedal."

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes we've been through this and from democracy on the forum you lost the argument. There were more people denounced it than supported it. Ain't democracy a bitch.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
But it's not the world wide majority !

Trouble with you Alister , if you were proved wrong even on one of your own cars you just wouldn't except it .

Another guy also filmed his engine bay with the intake stripped back and throttle plate , opening was quicker with the product , repeatedly stomping on the pedal .

With it off or disconnected reverting it to stock and stomping the plate didn't start opening till the pedal was down flat revealing the factory delay .

This backs up the Sema display .

How on earth do you explain that Alistair ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's a review from someone with no vested interest who wasn't paid to review it. It was also hosted on a site which I trust (Some on here will be familiar with Evolution).
The science says it's snake oil.

Attachments

• sprintbooster (1).pdf
    695.2 KB · Views: 7

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Paid for advertising... have a google for five star reviews

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
And as I've said that is not applicable as it's 2007 the first version , now it's version 3 , do you not think they improved it or added extra features ?

This is the real world up to date as of May 2019 and nothing to do with a product review.

"I personally didn’t believe the claims of change after looking at the specs and the voltage delivery statements.. but my brother purchased one for his 2008 Hilux 2.5L TDI, so I decided to check it out myself, after hearing his claims that the responsiveness felt more like the older cable driven throttles that had a 1:1 response to pedal travel.
For the test I by-passed the pedal to a direct on/off switch system to eliminate the possibility of different speeds of pedal press.
What I found was:
1. from off to full depression the DBW throttles seem to operate at a slower and smoother pace thru the operation of the butterfly with full pedal depression.
With the Throttle tuner (TT) at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)
2. via datum measurements, I measured that at 100% pedal depression, the physical opening marker of the butterfly with out the Throttle tuner was considered to be 100%.
With the TT at full setting the butterfly opened consistently with an approximate 2 degree increase (doubt this was manufacturer intentional and may be due to ware over time and the faster delivery of the voltage causing a minor “flick” to become noticeable) but it was a slight increase none the less.
3. I then measured the vacuum & boost (2 different digital and analog liquid filled gauges), both al fully depressed pedals, and again it resulted in gains over the stock. It was evident that the ECU was aware of a change in the Air/Fuel ratio and compensated as it is supposed to.
4. for the Dyno test, I returned the pedal to its original foot controlled operation.
Stock and TT both delivered the same top end HP.. but the faster acceleration of the TT resulted and a torque delivery in a shorter timeframe (which is what most drivers would “feel” and refer to as the “ass dyno”). So yes, there is feel of increased G-force (mistakenly referred to as power) as the faster engine acceleration is in fact transferred to the wheels delivering improved propulsion.
The science of this item is more than the mere voltage curve from 0%-100%.
It includes the other calculations of the other factors like fluid dynamics, voltage drops, intentional retarding, losses and gains due friction, etc, etc, etc.
The system operates on a similar premise to the older cable tethered, “cam throttle” application used on motorcycle throttles that converted a 1/4 turn throttle twist into a 1/8 turn equivalent. The cam was tuned via shaping of the lobe (sometimes lobes plural) to deliver mechanically increased throttle/twist response ratios, typically tuned to sync with the powerbands of the specific motorcycles.
Now you can say that it in their head as well.. but then that would also mean 1/4 mile stats and data loggers help perpetuate the placebo effect.
So all in all :
No, it does not make the vehicle more powerful overall. The overall top end output remains the same. but..
Yes, the users do “feel” a difference in the operation of the vehicles.. thought it likely feels greater than it is.
Yes, the torque curve is brought on earlier (the “ass dyno” didn’t lie)
Yes, the claims are exaggerated (that’s just the marketing aspect)
Yes, results will vary from brand to brand, model to model and even car to car within the same brand/model due to tuning, etc.,
..but for low rpm acceleration, where most people want to get a bit of an increase (like pulling off from a stand-still stop, or pedaling to overtake) they will be pleased in most production vehicles and more so in higher tuned “weekend race vehicles”
I have since installed a similar device in my own 2008 Hilux of the same spec. and the results have been very similar.
Like with racing, every ounce of weight shed, every pound of boost gained, every advantage found, adds up.
Note:
Pedal switch tests were done over 3 days, 3 times a day, 3 runs each time.
Day 1 – Set up switches, Throttle tuner
Day 2 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – Stock pedal tests first, followed by engaged TT
Day 3 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – TT engaged pedal tests first, followed by stock pedal
Humidity was just about the same with about a 5-10 degree fluctuation for equivalent times.
32″ fan was directed into the engine bay for all tests.
Dyno test was done in 1 day.
Drove to dyno center 15 mins away.. 1hr rest.. temp check.. 3 runs stock pedal.. 1hr rest.. temp check for matching pre run temp.. 3 runs TT full setting engaged pedal."

And then there's the video made only last month actually showing the throttle plate moving quicker as per Sema display .

Stop living in the past..

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
It doesn’t open quicker, it open earlier in the throttle application, as before they are signal multipliers so cannot change the ecu/torque/map/throttle plate, just fools the signal of the throttle peddle position into thinking it’s much further pressed than it actually is

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom