Rain leaking into my boot cl500

cl500:/

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500
Hi all,

So to start off I have 2003 cl500 and since my ownership I have realised that Rain goes into the boot I have always cleaned the areas and it looks like it is coming from the rear tail lights I have removed them and cleaned them, I cleaned the surface area, I then put some silicone it did work however it has given up water still coming in and I have removed all the parts in the boot to clean I was wondering is there a way around this how can I stop the water from coming in, also there is a ton of water in a few holes where there was a rubber cover I have attached the pictures.
Thank you all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126_130702_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_130702_Gallery.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231126_130658_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_130658_Gallery.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20231126_130654_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_130654_Gallery.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500
Here Is another view

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126_131022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_131022_Gallery.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 15

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
My 215 developed a leak from the high level brake light in the boot lid.
With removal of some trim to access the fixings on the inside of the boot lid, you can pop the light out, judicious application of some sealant around the back of the light housing fixed the issue.

OP
C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500
My 215 developed a leak from the high level brake light in the boot lid.
With removal of some trim to access the fixings on the inside of the boot lid, you can pop the light out, judicious application of some sealant around the back of the light housing fixed the issue.
Hi thanks for the reply, however it doesn't seem to be coming from the boot lid rather the actual rear tail lights I have tried a few thing not sure if it will work just got to wait for the rain to start pouring

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Hi thanks for the reply, however it doesn't seem to be coming from the boot lid rather the actual rear tail lights I have tried a few thing not sure if it will work just got to wait for the rain to start pouring
Okay, just mentioning it as the water takes a circuitous route to exit the lid in the bottom corners when shut.

Don't wait for the rain.
Dry the boot out with paper towel.
Puff a light layer of talcum powder around the boot (with trim stripped out) where you think water will run, then with the boot lid closed use a watering can or hosepipe to apply water to specific areas where you think the water is gaining entry.
Check the boot before switching area. The talc will give you a definite track mark.

I never had to remove the rear lights on my 215, but I suspect that they have a felt gasket that fits between the lamp and the bodywork that might leak.
Also worth checking that the leak isn't from the rear sunroof drains, assuming that you have a sunroof fitted.

OP
C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500
Okay, just mentioning it as the water takes a circuitous route to exit the lid in the bottom corners when shut.

Don't wait for the rain.
Dry the boot out with paper towel.
Puff a light layer of talcum powder around the boot (with trim stripped out) where you think water will run, then with the boot lid closed use a watering can or hosepipe to apply water to specific areas where you think the water is gaining entry.
Check the boot before switching area. The talc will give you a definite track mark.

I never had to remove the rear lights on my 215, but I suspect that they have a felt gasket that fits between the lamp and the bodywork that might leak.
Also worth checking that the leak isn't from the rear sunroof drains, assuming that you have a sunroof fitted.
Hi yes I have a Sunroof i will try your idea sounds fun have to let the silicone dry fully first with this weather its going to take ages, I have applied silicone on areas I think it's coming from I have removed the boot gutter trim and cleaned the area was very dirty with mud and leafs I put silicone on the push clips cleaned the boot cleaned the trims with the wet vac but does anyone know where water comes from on the 4th picture next to the fuel tank, there a 2 holes covered with rubber I removed the rubber and I see a ton of water in it looks like chassis I've tried my best to remove all of it but not working to my liking.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi yes I have a Sunroof i will try your idea sounds fun have to let the silicone dry fully first with this weather its going to take ages, I have applied silicone on areas I think it's coming from I have removed the boot gutter trim and cleaned the area was very dirty with mud and leafs I put silicone on the push clips cleaned the boot cleaned the trims with the wet vac but does anyone know where water comes from on the 4th picture next to the fuel tank, there a 2 holes covered with rubber I removed the rubber and I see a ton of water in it looks like chassis I've tried my best to remove all of it but not working to my liking.
I've found a very effective way of identifying the source of a leak in the boot of a vehicle is to make a cheap smoke generator. An £8 ish pond smoker from eBay and a quid's worth of plastic food container and connect to battery. No heat generated and works every time.

OP
C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500
I've found a very effective way of identifying the source of a leak in the boot of a vehicle is to make a cheap smoke generator. An £8 ish pond smoker from eBay and a quid's worth of plastic food container and connect to battery. No heat generated and works every time.
Another great idea thank you so much I will try the talcum powder one just got to wait for the silicone to dry

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
When you found your leak, you will have to chose a silicone sealant, over ten years ago i used Loctite 5910. To seal rubber seal to metal across the full width of boot where it joins the rear window of Boot on the SL as per televisions instructions. Never leaked since since. Proverbial xxxx to a blanket.

Top Bottom