Reluctor Ring

OP
S

sparkyden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI V6 2006 W211
Not going to push it, its working and that's enough just now. It would just be my luck that I would over do it and end up like you say....back to square one.
Have got a new reluctor ring here so will attempt to fit it when the weather gets better. Malcolm helped me out with diagrams and some very useful info which will be invaluable when the time comes....my thanks to him once again.

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
Just to say thanks for all the information in this thread, I have a similar problem but diagnostics showed the front ABS sensors seeing speed when the car was stationary. I may pop out the rear sensors and give the rings a clean as a pre emptive measure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It is almost a servicing requirement to keep sensors and rings clean.
You can easily spend a day on a car doing preventative maintenance such as this.

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
Indeed. I've cleaned the rear sensors, but totally forgot to clean inside the hole :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
Hi malcolm
I am experiencing exactly the same problems as sparkyden fitted new sensor but fault still present, so I think the sensor rotor/ring needs a clean or replacement I would be grateful if you could send me some info on rear driveshaft removal, for a 2007 e320cdi (i presume the sensor ring fits onto end of driveshaft) By the way I cant understand how these rings work i thought it would be a toothed ring but this one has no teeth just a smooth surface is it magnetic, if so then stainless is out of the question but surely they have a corrosion resistant coating.will the effectiveness of ring be affected By wire brushing surface of ring through sensor hole using a rotary brush as was reccomended or will spraying silicone be enough to dissolve the rust. Answers to these questions would be appreciated before I commence work.
Regards
boxer

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi malcolm
I am experiencing exactly the same problems as sparkyden fitted new sensor but fault still present, so I think the sensor rotor/ring needs a clean or replacement I would be grateful if you could send me some info on rear driveshaft removal, for a 2007 e320cdi (i presume the sensor ring fits onto end of driveshaft) By the way I cant understand how these rings work i thought it would be a toothed ring but this one has no teeth just a smooth surface is it magnetic, if so then stainless is out of the question but surely they have a corrosion resistant coating.will the effectiveness of ring be affected By wire brushing surface of ring through sensor hole using a rotary brush as was reccomended or will spraying silicone be enough to dissolve the rust. Answers to these questions would be appreciated before I commence work.
Regards
boxer
This sounds wrong to me,,,,,,,I will try and check on this one.

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
Well before I cleaned the abs ring I took the car out and it seems to be stuck in limp mode permanently. I have tried turning off and on, disconnected battery cleared fault codes but to no avail, I cant check if cleaning ring has worked because car is stuck in 2nd !!!!
Is there anyway of resetting limp mode or are we looking at star.
What sounds wrong malcolm ?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Stuck in second sounds more like a gearbox fault rather than something the relates to the reluctor rings. What codes are you getting and yes I think a session on STAR may be a cheaper easier option to pinpoint he fault

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think the gearbox ECU relies on a speed signal generated from (you guessed it) the ABS sensors. When you cleaned the reluctors did you knock one or get metal filings/rust flakes on the sensor?
Also check wiring.

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
I think everything you asked is on this site,

http://www.reluctorrings.com/symptoms
It says rear rings hardly
I think the gearbox ECU relies on a speed signal generated from (you guessed it) the ABS sensors. When you cleaned the reluctors did you knock one or get metal filings/rust flakes on the sensor?
Also check wiring.
I think the ring needs replacing and the car is booked in for Tuesday to get work done. But I found it a bit odd car staying in limp mode with no fault lights or messages showing. Would it be possible that because of the previous times car went into limp mode it a reached a stage where because of persistent faults the car has gone into a permanent limp mode.
The main codes were 4497. L6/3 (left rear speed sensor) , rotor.
7270 implausible values from rpm sensors rear axle.
0721 the transmission output signal is implausible when compared to the wheel signal rpm signal.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Reluctor rings are usually the fault and not the wheel speed sensor. They rot off the driveshaft.

You will need to remove the hub to replace them. We do loads here. It takes about 2.5 hours.

The reason it confuses the gearbox is each wheel speed sensor sends a message to the gearbox ECU, the gearbox ECU then needs to add each value together to make multiple of 4. If it cant, then it detects that a wheel must be slipping. Which is why you get an output signal fault in the trans ECU.

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
Reluctor rings are usually the fault and not the wheel speed sensor. They rot off the driveshaft.

You will need to remove the hub to replace them. We do loads here. It takes about 2.5 hours.

The reason it confuses the gearbox is each wheel speed sensor sends a message to the gearbox ECU, the gearbox ECU then needs to add each value together to make multiple of 4. If it cant, then it detects that a wheel must be slipping. Which is why you get an output signal fault in the trans ECU.
Thanks steve, Will the car get out of limp mode once the works done or will it need reseting on a diagnostic machine.

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
Pulse inductive sensors so it should reset itself.
Hi just got the car back car still stuck in limp mode. No faults showing at all do I need to get it on star for reset can someone advise or should I drive for a bit to get car out of limp mode I can't seem to get a definite answer.
I'm just hoping the auto box hasn't gone for a burton

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
I think you are at the point of professional help.

It could be your code reader isn't giving you all the information you need.
I was under the impression that by replacing faulty ring and sensor the car would go back to normal but as you say I wil have to get onto a Mercedes indie who has a star m/c near bolton as I cant really drive very far.
Thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Well that depends on what diagnosis you have done in the first place doesn't it..?? If you have just read the fault code and replaced what the code reader has said, then it isn't diagnosis, you have assumed off the back of the fault code and maybe what others have posted here in the past as the fault. But did you check its feed, earth and signal on the sensor plug? If not, chances are you have missed something.

I post everyday and say the same things to others.

Fault code reading isn't diagnosis. The step procedure I call it is F-D-C Fault, diagnosis and cure. That means looking at the fault codes first, following the test steps on the guided fault finding and then confirming what the cure is.

Or you have bought the sensor from a factor and they have not given you a pulse inductive sensor, and that I have seen countless times in the past.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom