1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove COMAND Unit from CLK320 Cabriolet W208

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by wispaws, Nov 11, 2018.

  1. wispaws

    wispaws New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2018
    Your Mercedes:
    CLK320 Cabriolet 2002 W208
    I've looked through the forums and although come across similar posts have been unable to find one that works for my vehicle - a Mercedes CLK W208 Cabriolet Avantgarde 2002.

    I am trying to remove the COMAND unit with the intention of replacing with a Pioneer unit. I had left the car with my local Halfords for them to remove and replace with the new unit but with no success. In fact you will see from the photo the marks left in the trim following their attempts.


    IMG_0517.jpg

    I am now trying to understand why the unit will not budge. I purchased a pair of extracting keys, including small hole in the key shaft, but now the keys are just locked inplace and no matter how much pull the unit ( or keys ) will not move.

    I saw on one similar post that a pair of screws were to be removed but I have been unable to locate any screws or similar but sure this is the issue.

    Can anyone provide any guidance please on how I can remove this unit?

    Thank you in advance.

    Graeme
    PS. The attachment is a photo of the COMAND unit in situ.
     
  2. PovertySpec

    PovertySpec Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,121
    Likes Received:
    95
    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Hampshire
    Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi 07/57
    I'd hazard a guess that there are a couple of screws under the unit, accessible from the flap thing under it.

    It's going to cost Halfords a pretty packet to repair the damage they did.

    If they did it. And if you can prove the damage wasn't there prior to dropping it off.
     
    wispaws likes this.
  3. OP
    wispaws

    wispaws New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2018
    Your Mercedes:
    CLK320 Cabriolet 2002 W208
    Thanks PovertySpec... from what i've read I was expecting the same but have yet to locate the screws :(

    Still trying to find out where the screws might be located... I know on one video I saw there were also two screws at the top but not sure how I remove the trim to access these either... still digging :)

    Graeme
     
  4. Flyinspanner

    Flyinspanner Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,551
    Likes Received:
    311
    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2010
    Location:
    Ruislip
    Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    Have you tried searching you tube?
     
    wispaws likes this.
  5. OP
    wispaws

    wispaws New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2018
    Your Mercedes:
    CLK320 Cabriolet 2002 W208
    Hi Flyinspanner... I have, a few times... but thank you for taking the time to comment...

    I found a video that seemed to cover the subject but the trim layout is very different from my CLK. This is where I got the idea that the unit might be being held by screws but have yet to identify where they hiding if that is indeed the case...

    Thanks again
    Graeme
     
    Flyinspanner likes this.
  6. LostKiwi

    LostKiwi Senior Member

    Messages:
    14,466
    Likes Received:
    5,688
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    Midlands / Charente-Maritime
    Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I suspect you'll need to remove the cubby under the Comand unit. There will probably be a couple of screws holding the unit in place.
     
    wispaws likes this.
  7. OP
    wispaws

    wispaws New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2018
    Your Mercedes:
    CLK320 Cabriolet 2002 W208
    Finally solved the problem. It seems that there were no screws holding the COMAND unit in place, all that was required was a good, heavy tug and the unit freed. It seems the keys we had were a touch too soft and a groove was being etched in the material leading to a failure to release the catches correctly. With a lot of wriggling ( and use of multiple keys ) I finally managed to release.

    Thanks to all who left a comment.

    Regards
    Graeme
     
    Flyinspanner and LostKiwi like this.

Share This Page