S320cdi, w220, engine cuts out!

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 cdi W220 2000 registered
Hi all! I'm hoping that someone on the site has experience with the S320 Cdi W220 model. 2000 registered. I've had an odd fault for about 6 months. Start car, move it, switch off, 15 minutes later, just cranks, wont start. Eventually starts, drives no problem. Seemed to be a case of start, drive, no problem restarting! Then one day, it won't start! Cranks no problem! I replaced the crank position sensor supplied by Mercedes dealer. Engine started! 2 months later, problem returned albeit twice but eventually starts? Today, first time ever, I drove off my driveway, 10 metres down the road, engine cuts out like a breaker switch was thrown! Cranked a short time, restarts, drive off, cuts out again! Restarts, I didn't trust it so turned around, drove home, left running 10 minutes. No further problems! Nothing indicated on the instrument display. Any ideas before I resign myself to visiting a dealer?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like it needs to go on STAR to see what codes are present. The symptoms are very Crank Position Sensor like but you've already changed that (not to say it hasn't gone bad again).

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like it needs to go on STAR to see what codes are present. The symptoms are very Crank Position Sensor like but you've already changed that (not to say it hasn't gone bad again).
Hi, thanks for your quick response! True, it could be a failure of the Mercedes part but? These intermittent faults are a nightmare and yes, Star should show up the gremlin? I'm trying not to go down that potentially expensive route straight away. I was hoping that I'd not be the only W220 model user that has experienced this problem. 17 years old, 79,000 miles, the car has been great for years! I'll post any progress regardless. Thanks again for your support, I will probably have to visit the dealer eventually if i can't find the problem myself. :-(

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Where do you live so we can recommend a decent Indy ?

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where do you live so we can recommend a decent Indy ?
Borehamwood Hertfordshire! I appreciate your help. I'm of a mechanical background but this is a challenge. I cured a recent 'airmatic, visit workshop' malfunction showing on the instrument display. Used electrical cleaner on the front suspension sensors! I did mention this on the forum as each post can help others resolve similar issues.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Interestingly I will be near your neck of the woods (Harrow) this evening and even though I don't have my STAR with me I do have an iCarsoft i980 in the boot. If you wish I may be able to drop by and see what codes it picks up?

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interestingly I will be near your neck of the woods (Harrow) this evening and even though I don't have my STAR with me I do have an iCarsoft i980 in the boot. If you wish I may be able to drop by and see what codes it picks up?
That would be lovely of you! I'm quite chuffed at your offer! Harrow isn't too far at all!

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd remove your address now - got it thanks. Be about 730 - 8 pm if thats good?

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for your help last night, you've shown the benefit of being in the Mercedes owners club! You're also a good hearted, helpful chap who took away the potential hassle of my struggle to rectify the problem my S320cdi was exhibiting. I'm proper grateful! Fault codes found are as follows: - P000 C, Bank 2 cam position sensor. P0008, Bank 1 engine position system performance. These were the main gremlin codes. Other codes in the memory were P1187-032, P1664-002, B1628, B1630, B1640, P141000, B1410-006, P133800, and finally, B1338-003. I'll definitely have to get myself a code reader, certainly invaluable bit of kit! You have yourself a fabulous weekend! May good luck & good health stay with you for many years mate, you deserve it! :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're welcome!
Those codes P0008 and P000C may not align with the descriptors seen as they were read using the generic OBD-II part of the i980.
I'm curious to know why the specific programme for reading your engine never picked them up though...
I would definitely get it on STAR to see whats going on.

A quick cross reference of those P0008 and P000C codes doesn't find them in the lists for Mercedes either so may thats a discrepancy with the i980 and how it reads codes?

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're welcome!
Those codes P0008 and P000C may not align with the descriptors seen as they were read using the generic OBD-II part of the i980.
I'm curious to know why the specific programme for reading your engine never picked them up though...
I would definitely get it on STAR to see whats going on.

A quick cross reference of those P0008 and P000C codes doesn't find them in the lists for Mercedes either so may thats a discrepancy with the i980 and how it reads codes?
Hey, I'm at least much better off after your help and will have a go at replacing the sensor as this is mentioned often enough as the culprit that causes the symptoms my car was experiencing. Failing that, I'll get it to the chap you mentioned. I've actually already been out tinkering. Took the top cover off, eventually, 'hopefully' located the sensor. I assumed it to be on the front of the engine as with most engines but it certainly looks on my straight 6 engine to be on top of the camcover at the rear. I'm going for the cheap option first! Some electrical contact cleaner in the plug socket before buying a sensor! Either way, I'll let you know how I get on. Have a great weekend and thanks again!

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey, I'm at least much better off after your help and will have a go at replacing the sensor as this is mentioned often enough as the culprit that causes the symptoms my car was experiencing. Failing that, I'll get it to the chap you mentioned. I've actually already been out tinkering. Took the top cover off, eventually, 'hopefully' located the sensor. I assumed it to be on the front of the engine as with most engines but it certainly looks on my straight 6 engine to be on top of the camcover at the rear. I'm going for the cheap option first! Some electrical contact cleaner in the plug socket before buying a sensor! Either way, I'll let you know how I get on. Have a great weekend and thanks again!
Update! Well the electrical cleaner didn't work so as tge engine isn't running, just cranking, i replaced the camshaft sensor. Still challenging unfortunately, didn't solve the problem. I'm on a mission to solve this gremlin, won't be today, but I will report back! :)

OP
K

Kevr7881

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update! Well the electrical cleaner didn't work so as tge engine isn't running, just cranking, i replaced the camshaft sensor. Still challenging unfortunately, didn't solve the problem. I'm on a mission to solve this gremlin, won't be today, but I will report back! :)
Well, I finally got to the bottom of the engine excessive cranking problem! I replaced the clear fuel lines which come complete with 'O' rings and clips. Even though there wasn't any sign of fuel leaks, these 'O' ring seals age and allow air to be sucked into the fuel lines causing excessive cranking! Fiddly job! I'd advise removing the electric cooling fan and auxiliary belt for better access as you need the room. The intermittent cutting out was a bad connection on the number one and six injector plugs. They hadn't come off, just slightly pulled away from being pushed fully home onto the retaining clip. While at it, I replaced the fuel filter and auxiliary belt as it was easy to do so during the process. All running fabulous now! Happy days!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes the plastic pipe seals replacement should have been listed as a service item, if they had a scheduled replacement at say 8 years or 100k miles it would have spared x thousands of owners the same experience including myself, poor engineering really

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom