SL Buying advice please.

RedD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML55
I'm fancying a SL up to around £10k, would only be covering around 2k miles per annum so bigger engine better:)

Are these reliable............... (more so than my previous ML270 :( :( )

Any advice please :)

Are the rear child seats suitable for passengers (children) or really just a luggage shelf.

Which is best to go for???

Thanks in anticipation.

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
RedD said:
I'm fancying a SL up to around £10k, would only be covering around 2k miles per annum so bigger engine better:)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

RedD said:
Are these reliable............... (more so than my previous ML270 :( :( )

what a question :confused: crossing everything YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

RedD said:
Any advice please :)

BUY MINE £12K OVNO :rolleyes:

RedD said:
Are the rear child seats suitable for passengers (children) or really just a luggage shelf.

well last weekend there were four adults in mine BUT i was not one of them so i have this second hand but the ladies in the back were/are of the petite sizing the car did 300 miles that weekend and the ladies in the back are coming back to Scotland so i guess the experience was not that bad - i would have said kids only but there you go.

RedD said:
Which is best to go for???

SL500 all the time that V8 is awesome :twisted:

RedD said:
Thanks in anticipation.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I'm afraid I must disagree with Flying Scot

R107 500 SL all the way. Simpler to work on, more spanner-spanner friendly, and just a little bit harder to find.

Same issues with rear seats though. I did half an hour in ours around town ans won't rush to repeat the ordeal.

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
But

they are UGLY :rolleyes: and rustbuckets :sad:

sorry but find a nice 129 unless your heavily into 'older' clasic cars and then i could think of a few i would prefer before a 107 the GRP bodied CV8 Jensen springs to mind

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
Myros said:
R107 500 SL all the way. Simpler to work on, more spanner-spanner friendly, and just a little bit harder to find.

not worried about spanner friendly but really peed off that i cant find a R129 workshop manual either in paper form or on CD and yes i have tried Ebay and got quite a few almost totally useless CD's that were supposedly the bees knees so if anyone has the genuine article and i dont mean from MB but a CD or CD's that 'are' the genuine thing - workshop manuals - then i could do with a copy or info on where to get one.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well, if we're going to hijack a thread

let's do it properly. How good's your german, as I'm sure there will be something from MB, in German, on e-bay for your car. I managed to get an original fuel injection system manual for about a tenner, and with the help of a dictionary and some nice pictures, work out what was what and what to do. I'll have a shufti and see what I can find.

As for the rustbuckets, you must be hanging out with the wrong kind of 107 owner. Jensen indeed, you'll be telling me that Mazda MX-5s are collectors cars next. I thought you had to be of the bottomless money pit type to own a Jensen, even when they weren't as old as they are now. Ah well, each to his own I suppose. You can't call a 107 ugly though, they are very clean cut and of their time, all 19 years of it. That's some kind of benchmark to weigh others against.

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
my German is rubbish and while i agree that the Jesen intercepters were a load of rubbish the GRP bodied CV8 is/was an awesome car for its day. Just not into the older R107 Mercs personal choice thing - the looks just dont do it for me as well as that almost every one i have seen except for the crazy priced immaculate ones sitting in classic car showrooms has been looking rather sad - the R107's maybe simpler to maintain but it would seem from my somewhat limited personal observation that they are not well maintained. Still think my R129 SL500 is one of the most exciting fun cars to drive and own always come out of it with a big smile on my face and when i am washing polishing or just photographing it everyone who passes by has something nice to say about it - even had a driving instructor stop his car with a pupil on board and come for a chat about it and made me an offer to buy it as well. Thinking about buying a R129 then dont drive the SL500 first as all of the others will seem dull and bland as well as slow.

Yes i like my R129 SL500 - the only issue is the petrol consumption now if it would do 45 MPG on diesel he he then it truly would be a totally awesome car as it is - a bog standard SL500 - it is just awesome.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
so I take it a german manual

wouldn't butter your toast then?
I'll just go back to polishing the rust on my Ugly 107 then.

big x

Reaction score
Myros said:

If you go here http://mb.braingears.com/ and then go through the W124 disks there is plenty of V8 engine,injection and other workshop stuff that is common to the R129.Half the links are dead but there is certainly plenty of info there.
I can't really understand your problem, there are copies of the MB WIS on ebay that cover all models.

adam

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Flying Scot said:
SL500 all the time that V8 is awesome :twisted:

The day will soon come when I can say that:shock:

Malcolm

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
107s are lovely cars - but they all inevitably rust at some point. In my experience they cost more to run than an R129. That said I don't think you'll get anything more than an average R129 500SL for under £10k - like any SL you'd be better pushing your initial budget for a well looked after car - the choice of cars grows immensely with a £12k budget.

OP
RedD

RedD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML55
Flying Scot said:
that RedD seems to have gone AWOL :confused:

Sorry not AWOL just been working. :sad:

Reading the replies with interest, I guess anything a little out of the ordinary is going to cost more than the average Vectra / Mondeo to look after.

I suppose the thing that does put me off the Merc a little is I've just sold a 270ML, and I've got to say I wasn't too impressed with it. Can I expect better from the SL.

The other options I was looking at were (in no particular order)

BMW 840 / 850
Porsche 928 S4
Mulsane Turbo
Corvette

Any comments appreciated (although I expect them to be bias towards Merc:) )

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RedD said:
Sorry not AWOL just been working. :sad:

Reading the replies with interest, I guess anything a little out of the ordinary is going to cost more than the average Vectra / Mondeo to look after.

I suppose the thing that does put me off the Merc a little is I've just sold a 270ML, and I've got to say I wasn't too impressed with it. Can I expect better from the SL.

The other options I was looking at were (in no particular order)

BMW 840 / 850
Porsche 928 S4
Mulsane Turbo
Corvette

Any comments appreciated (although I expect them to be bias towards Merc:) )

Thanks.
The 129's are very nice to drive and own, sadly mine is now sold, it should cost you a lot less to run than the 928, they are touchy cars that always need something, Re the Mulsane, you wrist will hurt writing out the cheques to keep it running, a friend of mine bought one, after a £5k service it failed the MOT and cost another £2.5k to get it through the test, I do not know much about the other two,but a tidy SL does not cst a lot to run.

malcolm

OP
RedD

RedD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML55
Thanks for all the help, looks like SL500 may be a sensible choice :D :D (well, more than the others on my list)

I'll be keeping my eye out for a nice example between now and next spring.

Thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RedD said:
Thanks for all the help, looks like SL500 may be a sensible choice :D :D (well, more than the others on my list)

I'll be keeping my eye out for a nice example between now and next spring.

Thanks again.
Its worth the wait, I have waited 2 months to find the right car at the right price, but found it today. In two months the prices will be at their lowest.

malcolm

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom