SL500 Standard Equipment

Bossmls

Reaction score
With imminent delivery of my 2003 SL500 how can I tell if all the standard equipment is present? I have not found a comprehensive list of features that look the same. There is a totally bewildering list of options (Malcolm) and no two cars (certainly secondhand) seem the same. There also seems to be a fuzzy area between 2003 and 2004 spec. I am refering to at least whether the wind deflector (which I cannot recall seeing and mentioned in this forum) was standard or not. Such information would put me in good stead for replacement before I drive it off the dealers forecourt. Also anti body roll? and other such abbreviated technology reads standard on the SL500 but optional on the SL350 (I thought it was just an engine size difference). Does anybody have a list I can refer to of equipment and specification for a 2003 (pre facelift) SL500.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Standard equipment on the SL500 that can be removed is.

Wind deflector---------spare wheel--------pump--------and triangle.

Extras on the 500 are,

AMG body-------Bose sound-------comfort seats-------multi contour back rest--------Distronic--------Exclusive Nappa---------Garage door opener----------Keyless go---------Linguatronic--------Panoramic roof---------Parktronic-----------TV tuner----------tyre presure monitor.-------Different wheels.

A heated steering wheel was offered,never seen a car with one.

OP
B

Bossmls

Reaction score
Thanks Television......is the pump electric or foot? Where can the bits be located on the car for a quick check?
Regards

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A heated steering wheel was offered, never seen a car with one.
Pity as it is only a £174 + vat option. Although you cannot have that and the gearshift buttons on the wheel :-(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the boot, the triangle is behind a cover on the left side wing, the pump and blowup tin are in the polystyrene cast holder in the spare wheel.

forgot the fire exstinguisher under the passenger seat,first aid under the drivers seat.

the car comes with 2 keys,or with keyless go 4 keys,thats 2 of each.

Books, Command hand book,car handbook, quick guide book, Nav disc,service book, if linguatronic= book and CD. there should be a fuse diagram in the boot.

Malcolm

Welski

Reaction score
Atttn Malcolm the SL500 Guru

In the boot, the triangle is behind a cover on the left side wing, the pump and blowup tin are in the polystyrene cast holder in the spare wheel.

forgot the fire exstinguisher under the passenger seat,first aid under the drivers seat.

the car comes with 2 keys,or with keyless go 4 keys,thats 2 of each.

Books, Command hand book,car handbook, quick guide book, Nav disc,service book, if linguatronic= book and CD. there should be a fuse diagram in the boot.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm hoping you can stop me having sleepless nights!

As already mentioned I'm lining up an SL500 (should be picking it up on the 23rd)

Following on the theme of this thread I've been searching the web for standard spec/removable bits (hence my question re wind deflector earlier) and options available.

I've been to see the car once, it had just be part ex'd so had not been prepared and consequently wasn't looking its showroom best.

All seemed well, it drove well -it was a 2002 model a bit older than I was looking for- but had all the optional extras I was looking for however....

since that day I've been strangely unexcited and to be honest a little worried- I can't put my finger on why.

For some odd reason the car didn't seem to have the same appearance as some 2003 models I had seen previously.

As its about a 200 mile trip to the dealers all I have to go on until I return to pick it up is a picture which reinforces my concern that the model somehow looks odd.

Judge for yourself here http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/welskius/side.jpg

and here

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/welskius/front.jpg

My question is did MB update the exterior of the model very early in its life (i.e from 2002 -2003)?
I'm hoping its a combination of a dodgy set of photos and the fact that it hadn't been "buffed" up that is causing my concern.

Any help/advice would be superb.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm hoping you can stop me having sleepless nights!

As already mentioned I'm lining up an SL500 (should be picking it up on the 23rd)

Following on the theme of this thread I've been searching the web for standard spec/removable bits (hence my question re wind deflector earlier) and options available.

I've been to see the car once, it had just be part ex'd so had not been prepared and consequently wasn't looking its showroom best.

All seemed well, it drove well -it was a 2002 model a bit older than I was looking for- but had all the optional extras I was looking for however....

since that day I've been strangely unexcited and to be honest a little worried- I can't put my finger on why.

For some odd reason the car didn't seem to have the same appearance as some 2003 models I had seen previously.

As its about a 200 mile trip to the dealers all I have to go on until I return to pick it up is a picture which reinforces my concern that the model somehow looks odd.

Judge for yourself here http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/welskius/side.jpg

and here

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/welskius/front.jpg

My question is did MB update the exterior of the model very early in its life (i.e from 2002 -2003)?
I'm hoping its a combination of a dodgy set of photos and the fact that it hadn't been "buffed" up that is causing my concern.

Any help/advice would be superb.

I will answer later,must go out with the roof down for an hour.

malcolm

Welski

Reaction score
With imminent delivery of my 2003 SL500 how can I tell if all the standard equipment is present? I have not found a comprehensive list of features that look the same. There is a totally bewildering list of options (Malcolm) and no two cars (certainly secondhand) seem the same. There also seems to be a fuzzy area between 2003 and 2004 spec. I am refering to at least whether the wind deflector (which I cannot recall seeing and mentioned in this forum) was standard or not. Such information would put me in good stead for replacement before I drive it off the dealers forecourt. Also anti body roll? and other such abbreviated technology reads standard on the SL500 but optional on the SL350 (I thought it was just an engine size difference). Does anybody have a list I can refer to of equipment and specification for a 2003 (pre facelift) SL500.

Have you tried here :

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/equipment.aspx?deriv=22853

OP
B

Bossmls

Reaction score
Thank you Welski......just what I needed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no cange in the apearance until 06 06 even then you would have to know them well,the only difference is the gril went to 3 slats as against 4 slats on this serries, the front changed slightly with the new one sporting an AMG looking bumper and chrome rings around the spots. I am going to change my grill and and add the rings, this can only be done on the AMG bodied cars as the like the one in the links or mine. That one is finnished in the Telur Silver, a nice change if you do not want Silver. The AMG wheels, the same as what I had, date the car now,so I changed to the SL600 wheels and it gives the car a more modern look.

The only changes to the car was that in 04 you could have tiptronic and the Command went wide screen.

Technically they reversed the posistion of the PSE pump and Hydraulic pump in 07-02 and the MOST bus was introduced in 06-03 the earlier cars stayed with ODB11 and there is nothing wrong with that. The glass roof was an option from 10-02.

The car in the picture cost £89.000 bck in 02. The early car had a huge waiting list and a premium, the people who bought them new ordered every thing, during 02 the specs became less and less down to the point where you will only find cars with lumbar seats and maybe Partronic from 03 on.

What is the milage of the car ?.

the first pics are my car in the showroom the last as it is today. Malcolm

Attachments

• Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 37

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pity as it is only a £174 + vat option. Although you cannot have that and the gearshift buttons on the wheel :-(

Funny Blobcat it is not mentioned in the UK books as I think it was only an option for North canada and Scandinavia.

We had Heated wheels on the USA mini buses in Sweden, nothing for me really,just got to get something over these new arrivals. I would not want to lose the steering wheel controls

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Funny Blobcat it is not mentioned in the UK books as I think it was only an option for North canada and Scandinavia.

We had Heated wheels on the USA mini buses in Sweden, nothing for me really,just got to get something over these new arrivals. I would not want to lose the steering wheel controls

Malcolm
It is on the build your own on the MB website. I could just about afford the £17K of options I built onto a SL500, I can't afford the car to put them on though :-(

In my dealership today was a 06 Maybach 62, a new ML 63 & a 54 CLK 55

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is on the build your own on the MB website. I could just about afford the £17K of options I built onto a SL500, I can't afford the car to put them on though :-(

In my dealership today was a 06 Maybach 62, a new ML 63 & a 54 CLK 55

Stop looking at Maybachs, it wont do you any good, and when I was your age apart from the 300TE that cost me £17k that I sold 2 years later for £16.5k the most I ever spent on a personel car was £2-5k, as I could always respray and do anything to it, of the 50 XJ6's that I had,the most that i paid for them was £2.5k with a blown engine. The first XJ ever built I paid £500 for and sold that one 7 years later for £5k. OK I am talking 70-80's

Malcolm

Welski

Reaction score
There is no cange in the apearance until 06 06 even then you would have to know them well,the only difference is the gril went to 3 slats as against 4 slats on this serries, the front changed slightly with the new one sporting an AMG looking bumper and chrome rings around the spots. I am going to change my grill and and add the rings, this can only be done on the AMG bodied cars as the like the one in the links or mine. That one is finnished in the Telur Silver, a nice change if you do not want Silver. The AMG wheels, the same as what I had, date the car now,so I changed to the SL600 wheels and it gives the car a more modern look.

The only changes to the car was that in 04 you could have tiptronic and the Command went wide screen.

Technically they reversed the posistion of the PSE pump and Hydraulic pump in 07-02 and the MOST bus was introduced in 06-03 the earlier cars stayed with ODB11 and there is nothing wrong with that. The glass roof was an option from 10-02.

The car in the picture cost £89.000 bck in 02. The early car had a huge waiting list and a premium, the people who bought them new ordered every thing, during 02 the specs became less and less down to the point where you will only find cars with lumbar seats and maybe Partronic from 03 on.

What is the milage of the car ?.

the first pics are my car in the showroom the last as it is today. Malcolm

Thanks very much Malcolm you have put my mind at rest!:D :D

Your car looks superb.

The one I'm looking at has done about 53k. This is a list of the specs:
Metallic Tellur Silver. Full Service History, Petrol, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Multi Function S-Wheel, Alpaca Grey Leather, Sat Nav, TV, Keyless Go, Electric Heated Memory Seats, Massage Seats, Distronic, AMG Bodykit with 18inch AMG Alloys, Linguatronic, Front and Rear Parktronic, Active Body Control, Bose Stereo, Xenon Headlights, Electric Folding Mirrors, Rain Wipers, Burr Walnut Trim, Factory CSM Phone.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks very much Malcolm you have put my mind at rest!:D :D

Your car looks superb.

The one I'm looking at has done about 53k. This is a list of the specs:
Metallic Tellur Silver. Full Service History, Petrol, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Multi Function S-Wheel, Alpaca Grey Leather, Sat Nav, TV, Keyless Go, Electric Heated Memory Seats, Massage Seats, Distronic, AMG Bodykit with 18inch AMG Alloys, Linguatronic, Front and Rear Parktronic, Active Body Control, Bose Stereo, Xenon Headlights, Electric Folding Mirrors, Rain Wipers, Burr Walnut Trim, Factory CSM Phone.

Nothing wrong with the milage, but the price ticket makes it a bit on the expensive side, I would have said that £37995 was more realistic,it depends on how much they are giving you for your car. In your spec,from Active body control on,including the Sat Nav thats all standard apart from the phone

Condition is the all important bit on these car and does have a premium. For the price asked I would have expected there to be no marks or scuffs inside and no scratches or chips outside. Is the car in the North of england like most seem to be.

Malcolm

Welski

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the milage, but the price ticket makes it a bit on the expensive side, I would have said that £37995 was more realistic,it depends on how much they are giving you for your car. In your spec,from Active body control on,including the Sat Nav thats all standard apart from the phone

Condition is the all important bit on these car and does have a premium. For the price asked I would have expected there to be no marks or scuffs inside and no scratches or chips outside. Is the car in the North of england like most seem to be.

Malcolm

I am actually paying £35k the price on the window is from 2006 when dealer sold the car at the end last year. 'Apparently' the guy who bought it is a regular customer. He decided it didnt have enough pace off the line and swapped it for a BMW M3. He changes cars about once a year.

The interior is spotless but the bonnet did have a few stone chips as did osr wheel arch. To clinch the deal they offered to send the bonnet for a respray and sort out the arch.

As I said it had only just been Part ex'd hence them using last years photo for the advert and also it was in "on the road" condition ie lots of winter dirt. When we pick it up next week I 'll be able to better asses the body work but all in all they seem a genuine bunch so I'm hopeful we won't have any hidden nasties. :!:

No mate this one is in West London which is quite a hike as I live near the English Riviera ....Clacton !!:cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That price is good,and they do seem to be a nice bunch to deal with.

As you are in Sunny Clacton on Sea,when I go to Sweden in Mid summer from Harwich I will drop in for coffee, and we can talk about our Goodies.

Malcolm

Welski

Reaction score
That price is good,and they do seem to be a nice bunch to deal with.

As you are in Sunny Clacton on Sea,when I go to Sweden in Mid summer from Harwich I will drop in for coffee, and we can talk about our Goodies.

Malcolm

Haha you are more than welcome mate. Did I read somewhere that you are coastal too?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom