SL55 ABC mind of its own!

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Hi,

I was in Park with the car running and noticed that it slowly raised it suspension up to maximum height. It then suddenly went back to the lowest setting, and the cycle started again. All four corners are doing the same.

I switched off the car. Waited half hour and tried again. The movement started again. I'm sure it doesn't do it whilst driving.

Anyone experienced this before?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is an odd one,,, what happens if you press the raise car button

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
The buttons work as normal. But if already at top height I can lower to normal immediately using the buttons and cycle through all settings. I'm baffled...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Baffling me too as each wheel has its own height sensor

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
I can post a video if it helps...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
pump ? belt ? pulley ?

It cannot be that as this foes not affect the height other than being able to keep up the pressure.

Faulty valve block, then why is it cycling up and down. ECU bad connection like I had maybe.

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
So if it is a ecu connection, what did you do to rectify it? Give it a good old clean.... Could it be down to water ingress?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So if it is a ecu connection, what did you do to rectify it? Give it a good old clean.... Could it be down to water ingress?

Water ingress, thats a good one for this non plausible fault, yes the ABC is in the passenger foot well sill in the Wake up X30/18 connector, and part of CAN C, this is joined to the EIS and instrument cluster, then into the CAN B.

Have you done the mod where you cut the ears off the heater box drain.

I am not even sure if it could be the ECU, mine was a bad connection, but not a fault like this, it may need STAR on this one.

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Half that message went right over my head.. Hehehehe.. There are no fault registering so will any show up on star?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Half that message went right over my head.. Hehehehe.. There are no fault registering so will any show up on star?

That I do not know :( there may not be a warning for this as I have never heard of it on any forum, but STAR can detect faults that are not displayed in the cluster. I am still thinking of the ECU as the raise switch just goes to the ECU. I will need to look at the circuit diagram.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You say it doesnt do this whilst driving? It may be difficult to tell?

Have you checked for water or damp in the passenger footwell and cill channel? The carpet may be dry, you need to lift it and check under the underlay as well

Last edited:
OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
I've only had water ingress problems in the boot so I will check the passenger footwell in the morning.

I may get the missus to drive alongside the car on the a40 in the morning and check if there is a problem whilst on the move too.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you want to check the passenger side for damp, put the seat right back,you have to remove the side kick panel, its held on with just 1 screw that has a plastic cap on it, the side panel will then lift out once the draft excluder has been pulled back a touch. Get hold of the carpet from the top left hand corner and it will pull back enough enough to feel for any damp.

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Nice one. I'll give it a go... Back tomorrow... :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

another one i am watching , to store the answer ! i fly 8,000 miles home and back every 10 weeks , as soon as i hear MB are supplying or making electronic parts for airbus /boeing i am going to start using a boat !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
another one i am watching , to store the answer ! i fly 8,000 miles home and back every 10 weeks , as soon as i hear MB are supplying or making electronic parts for airbus /boeing i am going to start using a boat !!
Boats can sink :(
The parts are nicely made, but sometimes due to where these ECU's are placed leaves a little to be desired. This fault that titch has is rotten, never ever heard of it before.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Boats can sink :(
The parts are nicely made, but sometimes due to where these ECU's are placed leaves a little to be desired. This fault that titch has is rotten, never ever heard of it before.

malc nice point , but . if sinking can swim , not quite so practical from 35,000 ft !!!! this is my 3rd mb, and they are great to drive , but any ford/audi i ever had was more electrically reliable . i still love to drive my 2001 clk320 .which i have mothballed cos its in great shape but worth nothing now . and the w168 is simply a great ,ecconomic runabout , so long as i fix and maintain it myself. however they will probrably all die electronically long before a mechanical or corrosion demise . i cant remember changing bulbs on my fords ,but the merc clk, for example ,everytime i come home there will be at least one driving light bulb that blows as soon as i first put them on ,either side .and each time there is another reduction in pixels or display on the dash . i remember a while ago having a drama with an almost new washing machine , which had a "brain "!!!! where was it fitted .. next to and slightly under the leaking water pump !!!! same mentality seems to apply to benz . almost no watertight r230 boots , where is the pump ,on the boot floor . incidentally my boot right now is watertight the motor is wrapped up in the warm but i WILL make a plan to re do benz ****ty design in this area .same ref damp under passenger side carpet and ecu,s there.. this is a great informative forum . i have almost a bible thick book on info and fixes which i keep in the cars.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom